Why don't road cyclists say hello anymore?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mike Sales

Re: Why don't road cyclists say hello anymore?

Post by Mike Sales »

PH wrote:No you didn't, it's your thread title "Why don't road cyclists say hello anymore?" it includes and assumption that they do and asks why. The same assumption has been repeated for decades

Not my thread title. You've got the wrong Mike.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
PH

Post by PH »

Mike Sales wrote:
PH wrote:No you didn't, it's your thread title "Why don't road cyclists say hello anymore?" it includes and assumption that they do and asks why. The same assumption has been repeated for decades

Not my thread title.

???
Sorry, I didn't say it was, the quote is correct in reply to CyclingMike75.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

PH wrote:Sorry, I didn't say it was, the quote is correct in reply to CyclingMike75.

My confusion then. Sorry.
Soldiersteve

Post by Soldiersteve »

I try to acknowledge other riders when passing. It's something I've always done on my motorcycle too and generally get a much higher response rate. I do find that if I'm riding my hybrid I get a lot more responses than if I'm riding my electric Brompton which suggests a certain level of snobbery amongst some riders. To me a cyclist is the same regardless of their mount. We all have similar challenges with bad roads/drivers/pedestrians so should try to be as united as we can and a simple acknowledgement I think reinforces that. But if people don't respond that's their choice and it's best to leave it there.
Hobbs1951

Post by Hobbs1951 »

I recall in the old days (I was a schoolboy in the 1970s and in my last years at school rode a Holdsworth Mistral) that cyclists did acknowledge each other as did motorcyclists - so much so that if you had stopped at the side of the road it would not be unusual to have another stop to ask if you were ok.

I guess, and it is a guess, that perhaps the lack of congeniality that posters report (these days) is due in part to tribalism - so many different types of bicycles and riders.

However, on the whole here in the Lincolnshire Wolds folk are reasonably friendly, cyclists and others, strangers will still say good morning to each other.

Generally I find people friendly, I think it has a lot to do with my attitude.

John.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Regarding manners, I can think of little more ill-mannered than your prejudiced stereotyping.

And again with the insults.
And you people have the gall to accuse me of being bad mannered. :roll:

What stereotyping? And if it was, how is that bad mannered?
My own observations on certain types of cyclist are not stereotyped. It's what I've personally experienced.

And I do not at all recognise your description of the behaviour of other cyclists, who are almost universally friendly and offer a wave or nod to me out on the road.

Consider yourself lucky. Myself and clearly others on this thread have had different experiences. Just because you haven't witnessed it doesn't mean it isn't happening.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Vantage wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:
Regarding manners, I can think of little more ill-mannered than your prejudiced stereotyping.

My own observations on certain types of cyclist are not stereotyped. It's what I've personally experienced.

And I do not at all recognise your description of the behaviour of other cyclists, who are almost universally friendly and offer a wave or nod to me out on the road.

Consider yourself lucky. Myself and clearly others on this thread have had different experiences. Just because you haven't witnessed it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Your ill mannered prejudice is on open display.

All the idiots lacking manners joined the club and all civilised behaviour went out the window. Just like cycling these days.
Rapha wearing health freaks with stupid blacked out wraparound shades and plastic bikes are the worst though I have to admit.

I note many others on this thread do not share your experiences.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

roubaixtuesday wrote:
Vantage wrote:
roubaixtuesday wrote:

Your ill mannered prejudice is on open display.

All the idiots lacking manners joined the club and all civilised behaviour went out the window. Just like cycling these days.
Rapha wearing health freaks with stupid blacked out wraparound shades and plastic bikes are the worst though I have to admit.

I note many others on this thread do not share your experiences.

Try reading my previous post.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Mike Sales wrote:
landsurfer wrote:I passed 2 guys today in their "King of the Mountains" shirts on their super bikes, both on hills ... which made me laugh ... :D

Wearing the polka dots is asking for ridicule if you can't ride accordingly.
I don't suppose they will leave their jerseys in the wardrobe in future, though.

It is certainly asking for ridicule from a certain type of person.

Although I don't own one, I think the KOM jerseys are really jolly, and I'm certain that 90% of wearers know darn well that they ain't going to win any hill-climbs.

(I'd find it more sad if one of nature's natural grimpeurs bought a spotty jersey to wear when blasting past the less blessed rider. Just MHO ... )
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mattheus wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
landsurfer wrote:I passed 2 guys today in their "King of the Mountains" shirts on their super bikes, both on hills ... which made me laugh ... :D

Wearing the polka dots is asking for ridicule if you can't ride accordingly.
I don't suppose they will leave their jerseys in the wardrobe in future, though.

It is certainly asking for ridicule from a certain type of person.

Although I don't own one, I think the KOM jerseys are really jolly, and I'm certain that 90% of wearers know darn well that they ain't going to win any hill-climbs.

(I'd find it more sad if one of nature's natural grimpeurs bought a spotty jersey to wear when blasting past the less blessed rider. Just MHO ... )

I think it is quite likely that a faux-grimpeur will come across "a certain type of person". In fact they probably attract competitive climbers who get a bit of extra fun in their ride.
jazzkitten

Post by jazzkitten »

Hi there
Here in Derbyshire pretty much everyone says hi, when we're cycling along the Chesterfield canal you can guarantee cyclists, parents with pushchairs, people walking dogs all say hi - there's always the odd ignoramus who doesn't but we just assume they haven't any mates and carry on!
When we walk at Chatsworth we get a much lower rate of hellos - the theory is that it is mostly populated by tourists who come from less friendly environs - a couple we know who moved to Derbyshire from Kent insist that folk are generally much friendlier around here. I haven't spent a lot of time in Kent so I couldn't possibly comment, but that is how our friends see it.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

jazzkitten wrote:Hi there
Here in Derbyshire pretty much everyone says hi, when we're cycling along the Chesterfield canal you can guarantee cyclists, parents with pushchairs, people walking dogs all say hi - there's always the odd ignoramus who doesn't but we just assume they haven't any mates and carry on!
When we walk at Chatsworth we get a much lower rate of hellos - the theory is that it is mostly populated by tourists who come from less friendly environs - a couple we know who moved to Derbyshire from Kent insist that folk are generally much friendlier around here. I haven't spent a lot of time in Kent so I couldn't possibly comment, but that is how our friends see it.

I have to say that when our head office was in Alfreton I was charmed by the friendliness of folk in that area. We later moved our head office to Nottingham and it was very much the same.

Ay up me duck.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
jazzkitten

Post by jazzkitten »

Ay up!
David9694

Post by David9694 »

I seldom call out “hello”, I will do a wave, a simple raise of my hand to fellow cyclists - the gesturing is more restrained if there are cars about to avoid any possible misunderstandings. I think it also depends on whether you’re off the beaten track in terms of route or the time of day.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.