Ryde Zac 19 rim - quality?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sweep

Ryde Zac 19 rim - quality?

Post by Sweep »

Have posted under an old thread on Taylor Wheels about this in passing, but it may get a bit buried.

Anyone got on any views on the Ryde Zac19 rim?

Have never come across it.

For possible use on the rear of a steel bike used as a fastish around town bike and for day rides - rack fitted but not used for touring loads.
Sweep
Bonefishblues

Re: Ryde Zac 19 rim - quality?

Post by Bonefishblues »

gaz

Post by gaz »

The 700c 36h Zac19 on my front dynohub wheel from Taylor has been fine for the last 4/4.5K commuting miles. https://www.ryde.nl/zac-19
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

It's fine - fairly cheap, decent enough quality, eyeleted and double walled. I've been running a Taylor wheels front Dyno wheel with this rim for a couple of years as a daily commuter and some loaded touring including some off road hammer. No problems so far.
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

I have bought a Ryde ZAC 19 rimmed rear wheel from Taylor Wheels (in 26" - pictured below) and have been very impressed with it for general commuting/touring. I also bought a front dynamo wheel from Taylor Wheels with the very similar ZAC 2000 rim (slightly higher profile) again in 26" form.

I think its quite an old design of rim - from the Weinmann/Alesa/Rigida days, and if you look on the Ryde site there are many variations on the "ZAC" theme. For 26" use it looks like the ZAC 2000 has replaced the ZAC 19 now.

When building my own SP Dynohub wheel I opted to use the ZAC 19 rim again (given my good experience with it) and it built up nicely. Since then I have been commuting and loaded cycle touring with it and it has held up well. Not sure about wear - I tend to swap wheels around - but I have probably done over 5/6000 muddy miles on both the ZAC 19s with no issues so far. Here is my wheelbuild with the ZAC19. http://zenit-b.blogspot.com/2017/02/shu ... build.html

And here are the pictures of the pre-built Taylor Wheels one...
Attachments
zac.jpg
zac19 spec.JPG
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks for the reply zenitB.

Can I ask where you got the Zac19 rim for your own build?

From the UK?

Reason I ask is that from here on in I aim to build or rather re-rim my own wheels.

So am keen to buy pre-built wheels with quality Shimano hubs, quality spokes, and rims that I can easily obtain ongoing supplies of.
Sweep
zenitb

Post by zenitb »

Sweep wrote:Thanks for the reply zenitB.

Can I ask where you got the Zac19 rim for your own build?

From the UK?

Reason I ask is that from here on in I aim to build or rather re-rim my own wheels.

So am keen to buy pre-built wheels with quality Shimano hubs, quality spokes, and rims that I can easily obtain ongoing supplies of.

I got a zac 19 and a zac 2000 rim in 26" from Practical Cycles but i notice they only have the zac 2000 in 700c size currently...
http://practicalcycles.com/products/365 ... ncher.aspx

That said they are very similar rims..and my zac 2000 front rim has lasted around 10000 miles with no issue..

[EDIT: I have ordered stuff from Practical Cycles successfully for a while now and can recommend them - lots of practical commuting/touring stuff]
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Thanks folks for your feedback on the Zac19 and Taylor Wheels.

I ordered.

My feedback here:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=120305&start=15
Sweep
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW there is also a Weinmann branded ZAC19 rim, which is (I think) similar but not identical to the Ryde version.

Both Ryde and Weinmann make their rims in multiple different versions, e.g. with single eyelets, double eyelets, or no eyelets. The rim versions each have slightly different ERD values. In most cases any of them will do for a front wheel (unless you have a heavy front load, and/ or a dished front wheel) but at the rear it is best to get the double eyelet version for a typically dished derailleur wheel.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~