Did mandatory helmet law kill Melbourne's bike share scheme?

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Mike Sales

Did mandatory helmet law kill Melbourne's bike share scheme?

Post by Mike Sales »

https://road.cc/content/news/266005-live-blog-did-mandatory-helmet-law-kill-melbournes-bike-share-scheme-more

Yes seems to be the popular answer, though there are other problems mentioned. including "helmet hair".
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mattheus

Re: Did mandatory helmet law kill Melbourne's bike share scheme?

Post by mattheus »

What do you think, Mike?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mattheus wrote:What do you think, Mike?

I can see why people do not want to buy a helmet for every use, carry one around in case, or put a sweaty used one on their head. I don't like wearing one anyway. Helmet hair would not be a problem for me, but I don't like to criticise those who like to look good.
Also mentioned are the poor facilities, and scary traffic, and from what I have heard of Oz, many drivers have a hostile attitude to cyclists.
So I think that the helmet thing is a part of a generally poor environment for cyclists. Helmet laws are usually a symptom of an anti-cycling society.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Mike Sales wrote:
mattheus wrote:What do you think, Mike?

I can see why people do not want to buy a helmet for every use, carry one around in case, or put a sweaty used one on their head. I don't like wearing one anyway. Helmet hair would not be a problem for me, but I don't like to criticise those who like to look good.
Also mentioned are the poor facilities, and scary traffic, and from what I have heard of Oz, many drivers have a hostile attitude to cyclists.
So I think that the helmet thing is a part of a generally poor environment for cyclists. Helmet laws are usually a symptom of an anti-cycling society.

That seems like a fair summary of the situation :thumbsup:
mjr

Post by mjr »

The problem IMO is also that you don't know whether a helmet has been dropped, cracked and compromised. So as well as the non-users not wanting to ride, some believers won't trust rental hats and so won't ride.

Relatedly: has public mass cycle hire worked anywhere with helmet forcing?

Edit to add: I think Spain has a helmet law but cities are excluded from the forcing.
Last edited by mjr on 30 Aug 2019, 11:00am, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

mjr wrote:Relatedly: has public mass cycle hire worked anywhere with helmet forcing?

Helsinki has a city bike scheme which they seem to think is pretty successful, and I also have a feeling that they have a helmet law. I suspect that the difference with Australia is in how the helmet law is enforced.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Wanlock Dod wrote:
mjr wrote:Relatedly: has public mass cycle hire worked anywhere with helmet forcing?

Helsinki has a city bike scheme which they seem to think is pretty successful, and I also have a feeling that they have a helmet law.

Recommended but thankfully not compulsory.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

This U tube video, comparing the success of Dublin's bike hire with the failure of Melbourne's makes a good case for dropping the helmet compulsion.
They have had one fatality in a million hires in Dublin.
They are clear that the reason for Melbourne's failure is made of expanded polystyrene.
They spoil this a little by suggesting that this is because the hire bikes are slow, heavy and conspicuous, and seem to imply that the exemption should be only for hire bikes.
Sure, it's the fault of those fast, light stealth cyclists that they get into trouble!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPjvZlAl_js
Wanlock Dod

Post by Wanlock Dod »

Numerous sources report that the law requires cyclists in Finland to wear a helmet but that there is no mechanism for enforcement, so that in practice it is only effectively a recommendation. Here is one such example:
Current legislation requires that bikers and persons being carried on bikes wear appropriate protective headgear when on the move - but doesn't prescribe any penalty for violations.

That is a very different situation to Australia where helmet laws are vigorously enforced, at least in some states.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Just read that linked story from the Sydney Morning Herald
Don't think Australia is somewhere I should like to live as a cyclist or even a non-cyclist
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

There was a company that was trying to make them compulsory for "Boris Bikes" in London.

They gave up after a few salient points:

Given that poorly fitted helmets can increase injuries, how were they going to monitor the fit for riders
Given that helmets need to be replaced after a serious impact and in some cases a minor impact how were they going to monitor the helmets for damage
Given that there are a number of infestations, and scalp conditions, how were they going to keep the helmets clean and prevent this
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cunobelin wrote:There was a company that was trying to make them compulsory for "Boris Bikes" in London.

I've looked for pictures of Piffle on a bike. In most he is lidless. I wonder if he fears a helmet would spoil his carefully dishevelled hair.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Mike Sales wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:There was a company that was trying to make them compulsory for "Boris Bikes" in London.

I've looked for pictures of Piffle on a bike. In most he is lidless. I wonder if he fears a helmet would spoil his carefully dishevelled hair.

Is it so hard to say that a PM riding a bike without a helmet is a good thing??

You could still throw in all the usual Boris insults if it makes you happy - win-win :)
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mattheus wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

Is it so hard to say that a PM riding a bike without a helmet is a good thing??

You could still throw in all the usual Boris insults if it makes you happy - win-win :)

Not at all difficult. I am all for it.
I was just tickled by the idea that there should an attempt to make helmets obligatory for riders on bikes named after the mostly lidless oaf.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I do believe that Boris wasn't sure how to get on the bike, so arranged to be lowered into the saddle.....

He wore a helmet for that bit