WIMPS Coast To Coast 2019

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Nickeveson

Re: WIMPS Coast To Coast 2019

Post by Nickeveson »

:D Got a cunning plan! A bungee cord from your bike to mine
DaveLewis

Post by DaveLewis »

Just done a 'very wimpy' ride (I think all mine are) which I talk about in my latest book. It's a short guide but probably useful for some out there planning a similar ride. My main advice would be do both rides west to east. I did a loop due to time / logistics and Pennines would have been much more enjoyable going the other way. I still enjoyed it, weather was great, people amazing so well worth a trip :)

Oh yeh, book ;)

https://amzn.to/2ZhJo9q

Roman Holiday

‘Ah! Gentle, fleeting, wav’ring sprite,
Friend and associate of this clay!’
– Hadrian

Trust me to want to cycle backwards. Especially as on my last two ‘big’ trips I’d managed to go with the wind. And of course if you read any UK cycling guidebooks or websites they will all tell you to go west to east or south to north. If you’re looking at Land’s End to John o’ Groats (LEJOG) cycle uphill (north) and if you’re going to do the Coast to Coast / Sea to Sea (C2C) route across northern England then go east young man! The hill gradients are easier and the prevailing winds ease your passage. Bugger.

It was my own fault of course. After the success of setting up the ‘Wales Trails’ route, where I’d designed the snazzy website – www.wales-trails.co.uk, enjoyed the very modest but pleasing book sales, raised over £500 for Prostate Cancer Wales and hopefully put the land of my father on the world cycling map I had the bug again. The cycling bug I mean, not my old friend double pneumonia, which was never far away either.

I’d always wanted to ride across the north of England, especially the scenic Lake District, Celtic Cumbria and perhaps do the famous C2C route. It was, after all, the most popular long-ish distance, cycle ride in the UK. Not as famous as LEJOG but it was up there. The problem was, whilst looking at the map, I’d also discovered the Hadrian’s Cycleway. This is a route that roughly follows the old Roman wall built by Emperor Hadrian. Well, when I say ‘built by’ I doubt whether the old guy actually laid any of the bricks himself and he died before it was completed anyway. In fact three legions of infantrymen took around six years to complete the construction. Each legion was around 5,000 men strong and extra manpower was provided by conquered tribes. I think we call them slaves nowadays.

Anyway, now I wanted to do two rides. The C2C and the Hadrian’s Cycleway. OK, first problem. Both routes should really be cycled west to east for the reasons given earlier but I wasn’t sure I’d have the time to do two separate rides that were so far from my home town in Pontypridd, south Wales.

Right, easy solution, I’ll combine them and do both. And so yet another silly plan was born. I’d make it a loop and embrace the Buddhist doctrine of doing stuff in a clockwise direction. I’d start one end and cycle around Cumbria and Northumberland, taking in some great Roman towns, see a bit of the famous wall, have a ‘Newky Brown’ in Newcastle, see the river and iconic bridge (designed and built by the same contractors that built the Sydney Harbour Bridge), visit the mouth of the Tyne, tunnel or ferry across (whichever was open / running), pop down to Sunderland, then cross-country, over the Pennines, wind my way through the Lake District, over some horrible hills (or try to avoid them) and down to the beach for a couple of beers while watching ‘Game of Thrones’ or ‘Gladiator’ or some such suitable swords and toga epic on the B&B TV. Probably ‘Carry On Cleo’ with my luck.

Not a bad plan I thought and seeing as I’d probably be biking alone again I thought it best to at least look at Google Maps or something before I went up north. Then I stumbled upon more problems. What shall I call this trip / book? Do I wear a centurian’s helmet or a cloth cap that might have been worn by the great poet Wordsworth? Oh dear, too many choices.

Then it came to me. I’d call the trip ‘Roman Holiday’. A truly inspired idea I thought, until I looked on Amazon for cycling books called ‘Roman Holiday’. Mmm? None. OK, rethink…

Reviews:

‘Dave’s third cycling adventure is another little gem for fans of amateur cycling memoirs. Following on from the success of his LEJOG and Wales Trails books his latest outing charts a week in the north of England where he tackles two iconic cycle routes: Hadrian’s Cycleway and the Sea to Sea (C2C).

‘In true Buddhist fashion Dave cycles clockwise across Cumbria, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear and Durham. Taking in ancient Roman sites, great modern cities and the beauty of the Pennines and Lake District. Once again he makes his journey come alive with witty comments, weird references and superb photographs.

‘If you’re thinking of doing a similar ride then this account will act not just as a guide but also highlight the pitfalls of a lack of planning, reliance on technology and disregard for the power of the British weather.

A very funny book.’ – Derek Goode
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Anyway ... Back to WIMPS Coast to Coast 2019 .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
flash

Post by flash »

I really should sort out a bike....
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

flash wrote:I really should sort out a bike....

There are lots of hills if that influences your choice
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
flash

Post by flash »

So fixed gear it is then..... :D
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

flash wrote:So fixed gear it is then..... :D

I have been given a report of tree roots coming through the track near the start but I can't find confirmation.
Also the cyclists only cafe on the way to Penrith has closed I wonder if Tarzan knows :D
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

oldmanonabike wrote:

I have been given a report of tree roots coming through the track near the start but I can't find confirmation.
Also the cyclists only cafe on the way to Penrith has closed I wonder if Tarzan knows :D

There will be food ...
As we found on our LEJOG, the lowest of garages has edible stuff of various types ... enough to keep a soul fuelled ...
Lay-by burger vans .... Roosters Cafe in Penrith .... :lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

landsurfer wrote:
oldmanonabike wrote:

There will be food ...
As we found on our LEJOG, the lowest of garages has edible stuff of various types ... enough to keep a soul fuelled ...
Lay-by burger vans .... Roosters Cafe in Penrith .... :lol:

There were five iconic cycle cafes on this route winlatter still open, cyclists only cafe at Greystoke now closed, hence the Tarzan reference in my previous post, Hartside pass 1904ft above sea level, burnt down a couple of years ago and Parkhead Station above Stanhope still open and lastly Hounsgill cafe near Consett where we are staying. Yes there are places to eat and others that coast to coasters talk about years after the experience. Unlike Lejog we will have time to stop and stare and make more memories
First time coast to coasters might stop and squeeze themselves into the small cafes at Alston but 4 miles up the road just before the big climb out of Nenthead is the recently opened community cafe which is excellent and has the benefit of been next door to the best cycle repair shop for miles around. Only a few miles down the road is the weardale mining museum with its own little cafe.
I'm hoping the Wimps enjoy the whole C2c experience with its quirky cafes, quiet roads, fantastic views and a distinct lack of burger vans
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

You’ve missed out Threlkeld village hall :D
I’ll be favouring that to Whinlatter.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Paulatic wrote:You’ve missed out Threlkeld village hall :D

And plenty of caffs in Keswick.
"Roosters" is only about 6 miles from the end of day 1. A "cream tea" stop possibly. :lol:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

I should point out that day2 Little Salkeld to Consett.
After leaving Little Salkeld the first place to get refreshments is Alston about 16m away however I would recommend stopping at Nenthead about 20m from start. It would be good planning if the backup could meet the riders at the top of Hardside about 10m of climbing from the start some of us may need extra water by then. Don't worry you get about 5 mile of downhill before the climbing starts again
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

I agree its nicer but it's not a talking point like winlatter so not on my list of iconic stops
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

cycleruk wrote:

And plenty of caffs in Keswick.
"Roosters" is only about 6 miles from the end of day 1. A "cream tea" stop possibly. :lol:

Yes we are booked in for an evening meal at 7pm so a Tea before the finish is desirable I don't think we will be ready for anything at Keswick it's not far from the last stop but if we can safely store the bikes in the van it's a nice place to look around.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
landsurfer wrote:Anyway ... Back to WIMPS Coast to Coast 2019 .....

Get on with it! :mrgreen:
Will it be as entertaining as stage in the Vuelta.... :?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.