Pedal Standardisation

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Pedal Standardisation

Post by Mick F »

rfryer wrote:It looks as though, although the Frogs don't seem to be discontinued, Speedplay are putting a lot more focus on the Syzr, which seems to be aimed at the same market segment. I'd like to try them, but I'd miss the simplicity of the Frog design, which is pretty much faultless.
Thanks for that.

Yes, the simplicity of the Frog design is faultless ....... and wonderful too. A joy to own. If no-one gets back to me, I may be paying through the nose via Bike24.
I've emailed Speedplay themselves asking about the lack of stock.

Syzr eh?
Don't like 'em, may as well have Shimano SPDs. :cry:
http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuse ... .syzrspecs
Mick F. Cornwall
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

Im all for pedal standardization across my fleet .
I cant say i have ever used frogs as i went down the spd route and cant be happier with them .
The carbon road bike has A600 single sided as its a bike i dont clip in and out of a lot and i like the look and weight weenie bit on them as well as the big platform .
The commuter road bike has M520s for ease and cheap as chips
The winter commuter has A530s single side clip/ flat so i can ride clipped or in normal shoes if i go out with the kids or as in the past walk in bad parts .
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Mick F wrote:...Syzr eh?
Don't like 'em, may as well have Shimano SPDs. :cry:

I think the speedplay SYZR design has enough differences to SPD that some folk will want to pay the difference. However the difference is not inconsiderable; for example a new set of SYZR cleats is over £50.... :shock:

One of the appeals of SPD is its near-ubiquity; even if shimano went a bit mad and discontinued SPDs tomorrow, other manufacturers make enough bits and pieces that work the same way so that you could carry on riding your SPDs (using pattern cleats and even pattern pedals) for years to come.

I would definitely not buy new speedplay frogs just now; I'd anticipate that ongoing supplies of spare parts etc may not be forthcoming, at any price.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

I didn't start using SPDs until I was over 60 and did it with some trepidation, fear of falling off etc. All quite unnecessary though and now I think they are great. Why anyone would not just use M520s or possibly a pair with a side for ordinary shoes is beyond me! Why not just try them MickF? Only about £25 IIRC.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I also have two pedal types - Look Keo and SPD.

The Looks are a historical thing for me - they were the first, I started using them and have continued ever since. I like them a lot when riding but they are a nuisance when walking.

When I started MTBing I did so with Time (briefly) then Eggbeaters. I liked the Eggbeaters but they were expensive and a bit delicate, so when they wore out I replaced them with SPDs. When I built a dedicated touring bike that had SPDs as well. I find it difficult to find much to criticise them on. If I am nitpicking they seem a bit more likely to creak than Looks and they perhaps feel a little less stable. Overall I would be quite happy with them on all my bikes and may well go that way when I have worn out all of my road only shoes.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

I know a lot of people are happy with SPDs, and I wouldn't try to convince them to change. However, for me, Frogs are better; free float and easy release avoids knee issues, the pedals are easier to maintain, and the simplicity of the pedal means you don't end up with a rusty-looking trap attached to your shiny cranks.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

rfryer wrote:I know a lot of people are happy with SPDs, and I wouldn't try to convince them to change. However, for me, Frogs are better; free float and easy release avoids knee issues, the pedals are easier to maintain, and the simplicity of the pedal means you don't end up with a rusty-looking trap attached to your shiny cranks.

Thats one thing lets spd down, i do find they creak so a spray with wd 40/gt 85 etc now and again sorts this out
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

whoof

Post by whoof »

I'd settle for Speedplay standardizing their pedals. Their road X and Zero series pedals take different cleats.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Mick F wrote:
rfryer wrote:I may be paying through the nose via Bike24

A bit less (£114 and free delivery, unlike Bike24) at Amazon.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

slowster wrote:
Mick F wrote:
rfryer wrote:I may be paying through the nose via Bike24

c.f. £19.99 for PD-M520 pedals at decathlon....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

rfryer wrote:I know a lot of people are happy with SPDs, and I wouldn't try to convince them to change. However, for me, Frogs are better; free float and easy release avoids knee issues, the pedals are easier to maintain, and the simplicity of the pedal means you don't end up with a rusty-looking trap attached to your shiny cranks.

Surely you don't need a huge amount of float, just enough float. If the current SPD gives enough then that's good enough isn't it?
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

Brucey wrote:
slowster wrote:
Mick F wrote:

cheers

It aint just the pedals. Have you seen the price of the cleats?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:
slowster wrote:
Mick F wrote:

cheers

Which really is a deal maker for me.
Well that and the fact that I've been using M520's for over 20 years and well over one hundred thousand miles,on all bike types.When set up right with the foot's natural pedalling posìtion in the middle of the float,fore and aft and the tension set right they work extrreeemmmmmeeeeely well and last almost forever,with a change of cleats when they wear out.
When the bike's washed I simply wash them too and give the whole pedal a squirt of GT85.When there's a little play in the bearings I strip the axle and bearings from the pedal body with a £4 Shimano special tool and adjust the play out,regease and away I go again for another umpteen thousand miles.
If ever I get a squek from SPD's(which is rare)I carry one of those small £1 tins of Vaseline which a very light smear on rubbing surfaces stops it.
Note;those tins of Vaseline come in useful for all kinds of things even relieving saddle sores :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:I may be paying through the nose via Bike24
slowster wrote:A bit less (£114 and free delivery, unlike Bike24) at Amazon.
Thanks! :D
Give it a few days, and into next week, and I may probably will be ordering.

Cleat prices?
So what?
How much walking will I - or anyone else - be doing off the bike?
If you want to walk/cycle, why not have walking shoes and flat pedals? Simple and very cheap.

I may buy a spare set or two of Frog cleats just in case for the future.
Mick F. Cornwall