Best technician in Leeds?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
poetd

Best technician in Leeds?

Post by poetd »

All opinions welcome. Who is the best tech in Leeds?

Experiences so far:

Large well-known Bike Chain - failed to spot awful brake issue despite being told it was an issue - called me after service to advise all was well and the brakes are fine- told them to take it for a ride - they then decided I was right and changed the brake pads.

Smaller chain, Scottish related - needed a replacement headset, tapered 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 - bodged a straight 1 1/8 in leaving compression ring too high and the dust cover sat 2mm above the bearings - leaving them fully exposed, also somehow managed to twist cables wrong way round putting handlebars back on.

Small indie down Kirkstall Road - tried to book service, was told 8 week backlog and I can't book, would just have to drop bike off with them and leave it there until they got round to it.

There has to be someone good around here that doesn't have banana's waiting policies. :?:
Jezrant

Re: Best technician in Leeds?

Post by Jezrant »

You might want to learn how to do these jobs yourself. Pedallers' Arms have the tools and folks who can show you how to work on your bike:
https://pedallers-arms.org/
If that's too much trouble, try Chevin Cycles in Otley.
brumster

Post by brumster »

Wheelbase in Ilkley. Ben is their head mechanic. Top guy.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

In the case of the first two you are dealing with bunch of people not a specific "Technician". The latter may be a one man band. Comparing apples and Lego.
Anyway in bike shops you have mechanics or a man who works with bikes. :D
More helpfully the best answer would come from people who have used them. A good place to ask would be a Facebook group for a local club.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

If ilkley wheelbase mechanics are like the Staveley ones then try them out. I have many bike mechanics within half an hour of where I live but I will still travel into Staveley to get wheelbase there to work on our bikes.

Of course not all chain mechanics are equal across the chain but it might be worth checking them out anyway. They do the usual set maintenance thing of increasingly more in depth servicing as the price goes up but they also do individual work as needed. Whatever you want them to work on. Staveley lot seem very honest and fair in pricing work. They always beat their estimated time for doing the work top. Good service. If ilkley is a good you're onto a winner IMHO.
poetd

Post by poetd »

Thanks guys, keep the recommendations coming, all good. :)

Yeah, the Scottish-related tech apparently has a good reputation around here, but he bodge he did on mine was not great.
Fair enough as a temporary job until he could get the correct sized parts (even though when booking it I told them what they'd need) - nothing was said.
If it was me I'd never let a customer take a job away in that state.

On top of that he removed my Dork Disk. :x

I realise some people hate them and remove them by default, but I lost a wheel to lack of DD some years back, so always keep it on.
It's not like I went round his house and removed all his pictures and posters just because I decided he doesn't need them....
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Woodrups are good.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
poetd

Post by poetd »

pete75 wrote:Woodrups are good.

So I heard, and they were my first call when looking.
Fair enough they have an 8 week backlog, don't mind that. But no booking? And just leave it with them til they get round to it?

I'm kind of hoping that it was some temp who said that and he'd got the wrong end of the stick, cause otherwise that's a crap way of dealing with things imo.
bromptonrail

Post by bromptonrail »

Get on the train to York! Cycle Heaven have shops at York Station (folders plus R&M etc), main store at Hospital Fields Road (off Fulford Rd, on NCN 66) where there’s a full range of bikes. Always best to ring and book, but excellent service, though not cheap. Recommended
No advertising please.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I am genuinely not being patronising but short of a wheel build what are these tasks that you need a "Technician" for.
One of the joys of cycling and especially cycles is their simplicity.
The job you can't do today is the job you can do in your sleep tomorrow.
There is a mine of info on here to allow any task to be discussed and for you to do yourself.

I am aware that as an engineer and cycle builder of 50 years i may be accused of being glib about cycle repairs and service ... but it is really easy.
Just have a go ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

landsurfer wrote:I am genuinely not being patronising but short of a wheel build what are these tasks that you need a "Technician" for.
One of the joys of cycling and especially cycles is their simplicity.
The job you can't do today is the job you can do in your sleep tomorrow.
There is a mine of info on here to allow any task to be discussed and for you to do yourself.

I am aware that as an engineer and cycle builder of 50 years i may be accused of being glib about cycle repairs and service ... but it is really easy.
Just have a go ....

And there's a wealth of info on Sheldon Brown's website on almost every cycle maitenance or repair task.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
poetd

Post by poetd »

landsurfer wrote:I am genuinely not being patronising but short of a wheel build what are these tasks that you need a "Technician" for.

It was a replacement headset and I didn't want to shell out for a headset removal tool and headset press that would cost twice the price of tech labour.
Also I have limited storage space for tools/workshop items.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Thats fair enough .... but i have changed dozens of head sets over the years and have no special tools.
Well.. a length of threaded rod to press the new cups in and i use a drift and nylon hammer to gently remove the old cups.
I'm sure many on here have valid ways to do this task safely and easily without resort to expensive special tools ...
As i and others have said ... just ask .... people on here will help ....
And after you've changed your first headset ... you can help others ... :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Jezrant

Post by Jezrant »

poetd wrote:

It was a replacement headset and I didn't want to shell out for a headset removal tool and headset press that would cost twice the price of tech labour.
Also I have limited storage space for tools/workshop items.

As posted upthread, Pedallers Arms in Leeds have the tools and will teach you how to do the work -- for a small contribution. It's a not-for-profit cooperative othat exists precisely for cyclists in Leeds who don't have the tools and may need some help. This is from their website in case you haven't looked:

We are not a Bike Shop: we don’t fix bikes for you. What we do is teach people to work on their own bikes. Many people already know how to work on bikes, that’s fine too, we’re here if you need us but we’ll leave you alone if you don’t. We try to be hands-off with bike repair so that you have the space and time to learn at your own pace but if you have any questions then ask and we’ll do our best to help.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I have a freind whose a mobile mechanic in Harrogate who I'm sure would cover north Leeds. Pm if needed.

Also drakes cycles in meanwood are a long established shop as are the bike shop. No knowledge of their mechanics abilities.

Cheers James