Training plan

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Witherx8

Training plan

Post by Witherx8 »

I've just started cycling after going on the spin bike for the last 3 months. But after looking at all the technical plans on various websites. I'm trying to find a training plan which will just help me increase my distance.

Currently when my girlfriend goes running I go cycling. I try to keep it to the same amount of time as her run. So 40mins on tuesday and thursday then on saturday or sunday 1 hr and 15 mins.

I've rode the tuesday and Thursday but havent got to the weekend.

As the weeks go on the tuesday and Thursday go to 30 mins for her and the weekend goes up to 2hrs.

I'm just looking for advise as should I stick with the same schedule?

Thanks in advance
Attachments
20190831_172138.jpg
eileithyia

Re: Training plan

Post by eileithyia »

Distance training? Just increase the distance each time you go out .... just coming back from a major op and I started back with 3 miles on the turbo, then 4 then 6 miles Once I got to 6 miles I knew I could ride as far as Alcudia (on my up coming holiday, have a brew and ride back). By the end of 2 weeks in Mallorca I was up to 30 miles......

If you are time crunched, just aim to go a bit faster thus increasing distance during the time available.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Witherx8

Post by Witherx8 »

Thanks for that. I want to go into long distance riding but never knew if it was a case of just increasing the distance or would I have to manage a certain speed.

Would it be a case of sticking to a certain heart rate or stick to a certain speed
whoof

Post by whoof »

I'm not sure if the image is a record of what you are doing, a plan you've found or your girlfriend's running plan. It does appear to have a race day at the end!
You also haven't given any information regarding your current fitness, age or any health issues that you may have.

Assuming that you are not very old and have no health issues I would suggest you don't over complicate things. If that is what you are currently doing 21 km (longest recorded) is not hugely long in terms of cycling.
I would suggest picking somewhere about 15 km away and ride out at a pace you feel very comfortable with. Then ride back and if you feel OK go a bit (not legs screaming and gasping for air) quicker, then easy for the last two km. If you can do that then next week go a little further.
PH

Post by PH »

There is a theory that whatever you can do for 20 min you can do 70% of for 5 hours. It's a rough rule, that will vary between individuals, but if you start with that in mind it'll get you a fair way. There's also doubt that you can train for distance and speed at the same time, find a speed that you're not quite comfortable with, then use that for intervals, increasing the on and decreasing the off till you can maintain it for the full session, then choose the next speed... if you've done structured spin classes it's not a lot different.
When you say long distance, you'll need to specify, it means different things to different people! A lot of it is other factors than fitness, paceing, eating, comfort, strategy... I find myself recommending this book for the third time in a week, I'd seek commission but apparently you can pick a copy up for a quid so not much in it for me - find and read the Long Distance Cyclist's Handbook
Good luck, I did some structured training two years ago, gym and bike, then had a good year on the bike last year, but have let it slip...I'll have to take some of my own advice.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

As above distance is variable depending on your interpretation.
I remember my neighbour saying she could / wouldn't be able to ride 5 miles on her bike... having seen the bike neither would I. :lol:

Some years ago we were riding through Evesham just as Evesham Wheelers were leaving for their club run; at that stage we were on the return leg of Chester Windsor Chester 600km Audax and had been riding since the previous morning (with breaks).

Seriously you need find a speedyou are comfortable with, possibly around 12-15mph. Remember you might be able to ride at18-20mph for 5-10 miles, but it won't necessarily be sustainable over mixed terrain for a 50-100 mile ride.

As above look at doing a ride of 15 miles and increase by small increments, 2-3 miles each time you go out.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells