Wells & Walsingham Light Railway

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Wells & Walsingham Light Railway

Post by mercalia »

I was thinking of haveing a short stay at Wells Next The Sea in Norfolk and puzzled how to get there. I did see a railway line but it seems its a "toy" one -

http://www.wwlr.co.uk/times.html

railway.JPG

Any one here ever been on it?

wont be able to take my bike on that? Not even Bromptons?
Cyril Haearn

Re: Wells & Walsingham Light Railway

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Not a 'toy railway' please, narrow-gauge or miniature railway would be better descriptions :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Si

Post by Si »

I've not been on it but I've seen it. It's very nice, as is Wells itself...we stayed there with our tandem years ago.

As said it's not a 'toy' railway as such but a minimum gauge/miniature railway. These tended to be built either as tourist lines, estate railways or industrial lines....in either case they did fulfil a function to move people or good from one place to another.

As to how to get to Wells....its surrounded by lovely flat cycling country. Nice ride from the (four foot eight and a bit) railway station at Kings Lynn
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Whatabout the North Norfolk Railway?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
sjs

Post by sjs »

I've been on it several times, while on camping trips with my daughters. A pleasant way to visit the strange village of Great Walsingham, if you're in Wells. But not a viable way to arrive in Wells with a bike. In fact cycling would be a much quicker way to get from Walsingham to Wells. As already said, Wells is a few hours of gentle riding from King's Lynn, and also from Norwich.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

sjs wrote:I've been on it several times, while on camping trips with my daughters. A pleasant way to visit the strange village of Great Walsingham, if you're in Wells. But not a viable way to arrive in Wells with a bike. In fact cycling would be a much quicker way to get from Walsingham to Wells. As already said, Wells is a few hours of gentle riding from King's Lynn, and also from Norwich.

I'm intrigued as to what's so strange about it?
We're in Norfolk on holiday ATM staying near Southwold but intend possibly to stay at Sandringham on the way home,so could pay it a visit.

PS,just realised Southwold is in Suffolk :oops:
Last edited by reohn2 on 1 Sep 2019, 6:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

At one of the Walsinghams ( Little Walsingham but is bigger than the Greater one :lol: ) there is the Anglican shrine to "Our Lady" I think. Every easter is/was/used to be a procession taking a cross on some ones shoulder or some thing to the church there. Very strange really as Virgin Mary veneration is not normally an Anglican thing?

[youtube]BtDKkgIFIAU[/youtube]

https://www.walsinghamanglican.org.uk/
As the web page shows some very elaborate figures not normally associated with the Anglican church?

http://www.tournorfolk.co.uk/walsingham.html

There is a Catholic shrine nearby

https://www.walsinghamvillage.org/about ... er-chapel/

our lady.JPG
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

£9.50 return but dogs go free!
Our dog enjoys a ride on a train, the Severn Valley railways not far from here so we take him on that, it's a dear day out though, £22 each and when the ticket inspector came round he said dogs were £3 each!! I said 'it's no good asking him he's never got any money!!' He thought it was that funny he let him off!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

philvantwo wrote:£9.50 return but dogs go free!
Our dog enjoys a ride on a train, the Severn Valley railways not far from here so we take him on that, it's a dear day out though, £22 each and when the ticket inspector came round he said dogs were £3 each!! I said 'it's no good asking him he's never got any money!!' He thought it was that funny he let him off!
or didnt want to get bitten?
sjs

Post by sjs »

reohn2 wrote:
sjs wrote:I've been on it several times, while on camping trips with my daughters. A pleasant way to visit the strange village of Great Walsingham, if you're in Wells. But not a viable way to arrive in Wells with a bike. In fact cycling would be a much quicker way to get from Walsingham to Wells. As already said, Wells is a few hours of gentle riding from King's Lynn, and also from Norwich.

We're in Norfolk on holiday ATM staying near Southwold but intend possibly to stay at Sandringham on the way home,so could pay it a visit.

As Mercalia mentioned I think I meant Little Walsingham, which is where the train terminates. It's strange because it's a centre of religious pilgrimage, with Anglican and Roman Catholic shrines, shops selling statues of the Virgin Mary, and so forth. Lots of priests and vicars milling around whenever I've been there. Interesting enough for a visit I would think, if you're passing nearby.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

sjs wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

As Mercalia mentioned I think I meant Little Walsingham, which is where the train terminates. It's strange because it's a centre of religious pilgrimage, with Anglican and Roman Catholic shrines, shops selling statues of the Virgin Mary, and so forth. Lots of priests and vicars milling around whenever I've been there. Interesting enough for a visit I would think, if you're passing nearby.

If I do visit I must remember not to take any children with me :shock: :wink:

PS,I think I'll give it a miss
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

Si wrote:As to how to get to Wells....its surrounded by lovely flat cycling country. Nice ride from the (four foot eight and a bit) railway station at Kings Lynn

On exiting the station front, turn left and follow the red National 1 signs initially back alongside the tracks for a 32ish mile route signed well all the way to Wells along the ridge above the coast (and above the busy coast road). Or once you get to the Black Horse at Castle Rising, don't turn left down the hill but continue straight on and follow the blue/white arrow stickers marking local route 2 to Fakenham where you can turn left onto National 1 and reach the Walsingham station after 32ish miles.

Visit the barns at Great Walsingham if you like good pies for lunch. The Norton Rooms just downhill from the Little Walsingham station are a favourite local club stop. In Wells, the beach cafe, the deli on harbourfront and the sandwich shop halfway up Staithe Street are all popular stops.

There are actually perfectly cycleable 29 mile routes to each end which cycle.travel will show (if given appropriate via North Creake for the Wells one) but they're not as picturesque as the signed routes IMO and only worth it if 3ish miles matters.

Not as flat as southwest or west from Lynn by the way. Donkey Pond Hill and Sedgeford surprise many tourists following National 1!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.