Doing my bit, washing at 30 degrees...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: Doing my bit, washing at 30 degrees...

Post by mercalia »

I remember reading of a celeb who never washed his jeans. in 20 years or so. just hang them out to air I suppose and brush off any dirt
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Freddie wrote:...the armpits on my clothes still whiff a little...Not sporting clothes mind, just everyday clothes.

Any suggestions as to what to do, rather than just wash them hotter? Make a paste of the washing powder and apply to affected areas?

I used to have this problem in the past, when wearing synthetics, e.g.polycotton. After some internet searching I found various recommendations using white vinegar either in the rinsing water, or sprayed on the shirt's armpits ten minutes before washing, to kill the bacteria. Alcohol sprays are good too. As I don't want the house to smell like a chip shop I prefer to spray cheap vodka on the shirt before putting it in the washing basket. A half bottle lasts a very long time and works out cheaper than, say, surgical spirit. (I don't like spirits so am never tempted to drink it!)

I can also recommend the natural deodorant sticks mentioned above. They last for years and years and are unscented, so don't impart their own odour to garments the way that the usual deodorants do.
paddler

Post by paddler »

LollyKat wrote:
Freddie wrote:...the armpits on my clothes still whiff a little...Not sporting clothes mind, just everyday clothes.

Any suggestions as to what to do, rather than just wash them hotter? Make a paste of the washing powder and apply to affected areas?

I used to have this problem in the past, when wearing synthetics, e.g.polycotton. After some internet searching I found various recommendations using white vinegar either in the rinsing water, or sprayed on the shirt's armpits ten minutes before washing, to kill the bacteria. Alcohol sprays are good too. As I don't want the house to smell like a chip shop I prefer to spray cheap vodka on the shirt before putting it in the washing basket. A half bottle lasts a very long time and works out cheaper than, say, surgical spirit. (I don't like spirits so am never tempted to drink it!)

I can also recommend the natural deodorant sticks mentioned above. They last for years and years and are unscented, so don't impart their own odour to garments the way that the usual deodorants do.

I'm interested in those natural deodorant sticks as I begrudge the price of the ordinary stuff. I'm currently trying homemade using coconut oil mixed with baking powder and a bit of lemongrass essential oil for fragrance. The jury is out at the moment!

But how long do the natural ones really last, 'years and years' sounds too good to be true? :D
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

paddler wrote:
I'm interested in those natural deodorant sticks as I begrudge the price of the ordinary stuff. I'm currently trying homemade using coconut oil mixed with baking powder and a bit of lemongrass essential oil for fragrance. The jury is out at the moment!

But how long do the natural ones really last, 'years and years' sounds too good to be true? :D

Ive been making my own for nearly a year now, seems good to me.
I use
10 gms Almond oil
20 gms Coconut oil
Ping in microwave to make liquid and mix
20 drops Patchouli oil
Yes I’m an old hippy so suits me well :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've done the washing this morning. A lineful outside drying.

Done cold, 30mins, with a capful of Lidl's Formil non-bio.
Mick F. Cornwall
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

paddler wrote:
LollyKat wrote:I can also recommend the natural deodorant sticks mentioned above. They last for years and years and are unscented, so don't impart their own odour to garments the way that the usual deodorants do.

I'm interested in those natural deodorant sticks as I begrudge the price of the ordinary stuff....

That was my first thought when I first discovered them. The first one I bought was the smaller, 50g Salt of the Earth. After 2 1/2 years of daily use I've used half the available stick, and could get more if I broke the last centimetre out of the base. So I reckon it would last about 5 years at least. I've now set it aside, keeping it in my travel washbag because it is smaller and lighter than the regular 90g size. If this larger one lasts pro rata that gives me a good 10 years worth - not bad for a fiver! As a female my armpits are probably smaller than yours and shaving may also help it to last longer.
paddler

Post by paddler »

LollyKat wrote:
paddler wrote:
LollyKat wrote:I can also recommend the natural deodorant sticks mentioned above. They last for years and years and are unscented, so don't impart their own odour to garments the way that the usual deodorants do.

I'm interested in those natural deodorant sticks as I begrudge the price of the ordinary stuff....

That was my first thought when I first discovered them. The first one I bought was the smaller, 50g Salt of the Earth. After 2 1/2 years of daily use I've used half the available stick, and could get more if I broke the last centimetre out of the base. So I reckon it would last about 5 years at least. I've now set it aside, keeping it in my travel washbag because it is smaller and lighter than the regular 90g size. If this larger one lasts pro rata that gives me a good 10 years worth - not bad for a fiver! As a female my armpits are probably smaller than yours and shaving may also help it to last longer.

Pretty good going then -I'll give that a try when my coconut oil runs out!
paddler

Post by paddler »

Paulatic wrote:
paddler wrote:

I use
10 gms Almond oil
20 gms Coconut oil
20 drops Patchouli oil

Never heard of Patchouli oil-is that for fragrance?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

paddler wrote:
Paulatic wrote:
paddler wrote:

I use
10 gms Almond oil
20 gms Coconut oil
20 drops Patchouli oil

It’s added to kill bacteria you’d know the scent if you’d been around in the sixties.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
paddler

Post by paddler »

Paulatic wrote:
paddler wrote:
Paulatic wrote:
I use
10 gms Almond oil
20 gms Coconut oil
20 drops Patchouli oil

It’s added to kill bacteria you’d know the scent if you’d been around in the sixties.

Googled it! I was born in 57 and led a sheltered life! I'll have to buy some and see if I recognise it..