That there was ebike racing

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
whoof

That there was ebike racing

Post by whoof »

At this year's world mountain bike championship there was a cross country ebike category.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hather ... ld-titles/
iandriver

Re: That there was ebike racing

Post by iandriver »

Not surprised given their popularity. I've not ridden one, but in the hands of a fit and skilled rider, I'm sure they can take you places you could only dream of on a regular bike.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
MarcusT

Post by MarcusT »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMxLI6DbjL8
This race impressed the heck out of me.
I average about 900 m of climbing when I go out on my Emtb, these guys do a lot more than that.
I wish it were as easy as riding a bike
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

When is there going to be a motor car racing arrangement in which the participants have to pedal or otherwise manually propel their vehicle - no fearsum enjins? I used to do this as a small boy although we urchins had to make our own "boogeys" out of old crates and pram wheels.

Is it possible to motorise a golf club as well as the hole-to-hole transport? How about a tennis racquet?

Motorised leg callipers for fell-running. All the Monroes in an afternoon!

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I have seen someone arguing downhill MTB wasn't Proper Cycling because most of the power came from gravity... but so what? If people want to race things then they will. If not interested in whatever permutation, concentrate on the things that appeal to you.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

pjclinch wrote:I have seen someone arguing downhill MTB wasn't Proper Cycling because most of the power came from gravity... but so what? If people want to race things then they will. If not interested in whatever permutation, concentrate on the things that appeal to you.

Indeedy. Each to his own, they're not impinging on my activities.

If you ruled out gravity-assist from sport, the Winter Olympics would be in a sorry state!

*personally* I don't find motor-assist racing of interest, but I'll note how popular moto-paced races were back in Tommy Simpson's day. 100s of miles on the road - presumably the attraction was the "spectacle" of higher speeds, but I don't see the appeal.

n.b. track Kierin racing is a different ball-game - the real race is all about leg-power, and it's usually good fun!