Cycle Travel Question

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Warin61

Re: Cycle Travel question!

Post by Warin61 »

doodah wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Highlighted your text and pressed the quote button and got what you see on the first line.

Did it again - just to be sure I was doing it wrongly.

As I said, my help would make for a lively debate.

I press the quote button - no highlighted text - you get the complete thing as shown above then you can edit it ... like

doodah wrote:Highlighted your text and pressed the quote button and got what you see on the first line.

That works and probably with less errors. The problem you had with the original message looks to me like there was no end of the quote - done with a [ / before quote]
doodah

Post by doodah »

Thank you both for your help.

I have tried both ways without success. I presume one is supposed to see the finished article in Preview?

All I ever see is [quote][/quote].

I highlight text and paste in the middle of the quote quote.

Obviously I'm missing something.... "BRAINS!!!" - I heard that.

This thread is in danger of being hijacked and I wouldn't wish that. But if you can redirect me, I would be obliged.

Thanks
doodah

Post by doodah »

Got it!!! Hallelujah!!

I was pressing the Quote button in the header bar and not the " button in the topic review post.

Normal service has resumed.....but not for long.

Ye know not not what ye have unleashed.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Warin61 wrote:That works and probably with less errors. The problem you had with the original message looks to me like there was no end of the quote - done with a [ / before quote]

The problem with the original post was probably in click-and-drag selecting stuff to delete (or copy, cut etc).
It's fairly common for systems to try to be helpful and select a "word" rather than leave the selection exactly where the mouse is, so you get punctuation at the end of the selected text expanding into the [ and / of the closing tag, as they are the same class of character as the punctuation.

Of course, the real answer is to look at what you've just posted, and fix it if it's wrong.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Question on the "reverse direction" feature.

I tried this on a route where I had dragged part of the outbound route to change it.
When I reversed the route it seemed to go back mainly to the original unmodified route.
Is this expected behaviour?
Graham

Post by Graham »

It appears that cycle.travel/map has now become a subscriber-only facility.

I'm not complaining. Just warning other habitual non-subscribers. . . . The time has arrived to open the wallet ( shudder ) :wink:
RickH

Post by RickH »

Graham wrote:It appears that cycle.travel/map has now become a subscriber-only facility.

I'm not complaining. Just warning other habitual non-subscribers. . . . The time has arrived to open the wallet ( shudder ) :wink:

I had trouble getting things to load temporarily just now but all seems to be working without any wallet activity (I am logged in though).
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Graham wrote:It appears that cycle.travel/map has now become a subscriber-only facility.

Don't understand what you mean graham.

Maybe it doesn't like you/you are cursed.

Just wandered over there and didn't even log in (I don't always) and it seemed to provide a route with its customary speed.
Sweep
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

RickH wrote:

I had trouble getting things to load temporarily just now but all seems to be working without any wallet activity (I am logged in though).

Earlier this afternoon my own web site maps were being really slow loading map tiles from OpenStreetMap. I don't know if this is related.

Ian
Graham

Post by Graham »

It would appear that I hit it at a problematic moment .

Not much appeared on the screen apart from the most prominent item - an invitation to subscribe.

PS. I have an anxiety about using the subscription process on the site because :-
- I have never encountered that one before.
- I'd much rather bung Richard some money via Paypal or even Faster Payments.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Graham wrote:It would appear that I hit it at a problematic moment .

Problematic moments seem to be continuing. I just tried the site and can't get anything beyond a "Failed to open page"
Screenshot 2019-09-03 at 21.00.43.png

Screenshot 2019-09-03 at 21.01.57.png

Tried a couple of different browsers and same for both.

Ian
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Just been on it worked for me. It was reluctant to load I just hit stop and then reload.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
pwa

Post by pwa »

I managed to get in. It took me a while to remember a very old password I hardly use now, but apart from that no problems. I can see old routes and I can make new ones. I do have an "account" but pay no subscription.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

The server's playing up and has been doing so since mid-afternoon. Haven't figured out why yet but I'm looking at it!

(Edit: it seems to be behaving better now. I don't think it was anything I did - I couldn't find anything obviously amiss on the server. Possible that it was something at the hosts - someone else's server on the same subnet being flooded with traffic? I'll keep an eye on it to see if it recurs.)

(Edit 2: still fine this morning. I'm leaning towards the hosts theory.)
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

A couple of questions/suggestions about the pdfs:

1. Would it be possible for the distances to be printed on the pdfs, as they appear on screen? It would be really helpful when checking progress or deciding whether or not to alter plans en route.

2. When choosing the scale for printing, at what point does a ride become "long"? I usually use "touring" scale, which seems to be the default (at least for the distance I normally plan) but the other day I chose "long-distance scale" for a 300km ride to be done over 4 days. I think I probably made the right choice, if only for volume of paper, but it's not clear what each scale equates to.

3. Would it be possible to ensure that when printing pdfs, they print as nearly a whole sheet as possible? At present they tend to print as a fairly small map area with a lot of white space on each page.

Overall, the pdfs are one of my favourite features of cycle.travel, but I'd really love them more with distances or some sort of scale marked.