7 day route

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
philvantwo

Re: 7 day route

Post by philvantwo »

Worcesters not too bad, but a quieter way would be to turn off the A38 to Upton upon Severn and then head north on the other side of the Severn to Stourport then over the river and up Wildern Lane to Kidderminster.
But you won't have time for that if your doing it in seven days!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

charliepolecat wrote:
Don't go over the Severn Bridge and Wye Valley.

Oh, oh! The people providing my route go that way.
Pretty way, but hard work.
Nice scenic route of course, and a good way to see the Severn over the bridge and the Welsh parts via Tintern etc.

If you want to do LEJOG in seven days, It's better to take the less scenic but flatter routes. Gloucester isn't so nice or scenic, but the A38 right through Bristol and north is far easier.

I've done it both ways, and both ways too, and given the choice, I would go via Gloucester every time. I didn't think twice with my JOGLE with the the Chopper.
Mick F. Cornwall
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

I don't mind bridges, although, actually, I have some difficulty crossing those that are not concreted in such that one cannot see anything below, but they are a challenge that I always consider I have to meet and defeat. I am looking with trepidation to the Forth Bridge however. :cry:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I reckon that if you do some research on the options of routes, you can do an End2End without crossing a bridge ............ or at least a major one.
Mick F. Cornwall
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

I have no doubt you are right, but two things: Peake Tours that I will be traveling with go over bridges, and two, I really have to get over and defeat these phobias.

For the second reason, that is why I forced myself walked over the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, and the Brooklyn Bridge in New York.

No worries, I can do this even if I have to sing out loud something really annoying to drown out the inner demons. 8)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I am a bit cautious on holy bridges too
I like to climb towers, fear has got less with age but there are some I would be too afraid to try
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jorvik

Post by Jorvik »

Would a 14litre version of this suffice for carrying what I need for the trip? Can't work out what would constitute over/underpacking!

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/restrap-saddle ... r-dry-bag/
runtilyoudrop

Post by runtilyoudrop »

charliepolecat wrote:
Don't go over the Severn Bridge and Wye Valley.

Oh, oh! The people providing my route go that way.

I just did bit over Severn bridge. It is quite hilly!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Exactly!
Scenic over the Severn, but it's almost flat if you go via Gloucester instead ............ and shorter too.
Mick F. Cornwall
1982john

Post by 1982john »

Jorvik wrote:Would a 14litre version of this suffice for carrying what I need for the trip? Can't work out what would constitute over/underpacking!

Hi Jorvik.

As you're planning to stay in accommodation that should be plenty. You probably want a small top tube bag / handlebar bag for on the go food as well.

The important thing is most of these choices (clothes/food/ navigation) will be personal to you and only you can work out what makes a comfortable ride through training and experience.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I used a carradice maxi saddle bag, 10lt frame bag and a top tube bag.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LTg4NH1wmwfN9FeM6

Over

Cheers James
Last edited by Jamesh on 4 Sep 2019, 11:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jorvik

Post by Jorvik »

1982john wrote:
Jorvik wrote:Would a 14litre version of this suffice for carrying what I need for the trip? Can't work out what would constitute over/underpacking!

Hi Jorvik.

As you're planning to stay in accommodation that should be plenty. You probably want a small top tube bag / handlebar bag for on the go food as well.

The important thing is most of these choices (clothes/food/ navigation) will be personal to you and only you can work out what makes a comfortable ride through training and experience.

Good advice! Thanks
Jorvik

Post by Jorvik »

Jamesh wrote:I used a carradice maxi saddle bag, 10lt frame bag and a too tube bag.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LTg4NH1wmwfN9FeM6

Over

Cheers James

Cheers, that looks like the sort of set up I have in mind!
markelmy

Post by markelmy »

I'm considering for next year .. I did PBP in 2015 (and rode to start/back again from/to Hook of Holland - with tent & panniers (but left in hotel 4 PBP)

Has anyone done both LEJOG & JOGLE?
Is JOGLE any easier?

Surely prevailing winds come from the South West and therefore LEJOG should get more assistance?
Or is JOGLE purely psychologically easier - downhill or getting closer to home - which begs question of starting upon home turf or riding back home is more inspirational?
Or lastly is it purely geographical - there are hills both ends - did you ride yourself fitter to attack hills or better to get then out of the way early?
Coming from the flatlands of East Anglia, we don't get much hill training & think I'd prefer JOGLE for a first attempt - or is it just me?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Good morning, and welcome to the forum! :D

JOGLE and LEJOG - done 'em both, and done the double End2End as well.

For me, JOGLE is the best, as living here in the Far South West, I'm riding home.
Also, I reckon that many folk do LEJOG and have issues getting their bikes and stuff back home from so far north.

As for "prevailing winds", we don't really have them. Yes, it's more often from the SW, but not always. Strong northerlies at the moment for instance.
Have a look at today.
https://www.windy.com/?51.496,-0.122,5

The hardest section by far is Cornwall, followed by Devon. You could argue that you should get over the difficult bits first, but many folk feel that it's best to do the easy bits first and get super fit before cracking on with Devon and Cornwall.

The hardest thing by far, is the organisation, the fretting over maps and route choices, and then booking accommodation.

It's all a lottery whether you pick the right direction and the right weather and the right accommodation and transport.
Mick F. Cornwall