Cyclist died on A369 near Pill

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
brooksby

Cyclist died on A369 near Pill

Post by brooksby »

The Bristol Post has a story that a cyclist has died of their injuries following a collision with a motor vehicle on the A369 Martcombe Road near Easton-in-Gordano last night.

As you can imagine, the story is just "Collision, road closed, diversions, cyclist died, its OK because the road's open again".

Does anyone know anything more about this one? Someone died, and its just "Meh...".
pwa

Re: Cyclist died on A369 near Pill

Post by pwa »

There was a story on TV last night about a lorry that had crashed off the approach to the second Severn crossing bridge, killing the driver. There was a reporter stood 50 metres from the wrecked lorry, and my son commented that it was a bit insensitive to show the wreckage so soon after someone had died. There was little indication of empathy in the report.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49587186

Mostly about the delays to traffic, how long the roads were closed etc. It isn't just cycling deaths that don't get the prominence they deserve in reports about road accidents.
mjr

Post by mjr »

brooksby wrote:The Bristol Post has a story that a cyclist has died of their injuries following a collision with a motor vehicle on the A369 Martcombe Road near Easton-in-Gordano last night.

As you can imagine, the story is just "Collision, road closed, diversions, cyclist died, its OK because the road's open again".

Does anyone know anything more about this one? Someone died, and its just "Meh...".

No but I remember our previous discussion at viewtopic.php?f=6&t=102703 about that road and its botched cycleway. Do you know whether the cyclist was on or crossing the carriageway and which direction? I feel former Councillor Ap Rees may be responsible.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

mjr wrote:
brooksby wrote:The Bristol Post has a story that a cyclist has died of their injuries following a collision with a motor vehicle on the A369 Martcombe Road near Easton-in-Gordano last night.

No but I remember our previous discussion at viewtopic.php?f=6&t=102703 about that road and its botched cycleway. Do you know whether the cyclist was on or crossing the carriageway and which direction? I feel former Councillor Ap Rees may be responsible.

All I know is that it was at the other end of Pill/E-i-G, nearer to Portbury and the motorway, and that the A369 was closed in both directions from the collision (last night c.10pm, I think?) until the early hours.

Nothing more detailed I could find in the news about the circumstances of it:

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/cyclist-killed-crash-vehicle-a369-3286045?_ga=2.21000443.1915181230.1567677958-265798322.1567677959