Different wheels/rims same bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sweep

Different wheels/rims same bike

Post by Sweep »

Anyone do this?

I imagine it's no great problem as I know some folks run fatter tyres on the back than the front and I have done it myself.

Pondering whether to run a 19mm rim on the back and a 17mm on the front (won't bore you with the reasons unless you insist) - both wheels will have the same 28 width tyres.

Bike is a relatively nippy (or it was until I temoprarily put a pair of Sputniks on it) 700C bike used for round town and day rides.

Can supply details of wheels if folks interested.
Sweep
whoof

Re: Different wheels/rims same bike

Post by whoof »

I currently have three bikes where the front and rear wheels are not matching. The wheels/forks/rear triangle are not intellegent, the rear wheel therefore has no knowledge of what the front wheel is. As long as it fits then it's fine, except if someone is greatly concerned about aesthetics. I once know someone who when he had wheels built any writing on the hub had to line up with the same writing on the rim front and rear and when he put tyres on these also had to line up, for instance Michelin on the tyre wall needed to be directly opposite the valve. His bike was always very clean, but he didn't ride a lot.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it'll be fine, nothing to worry about.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

whoof wrote: I once know someone who when he had wheels built any writing on the hub had to line up with the same writing on the rim front and rear and when he put tyres on these also had to line up, for instance Michelin on the tyre wall needed to be directly opposite the valve. His bike was always very clean, but he didn't ride a lot.

That's hilarious!

-------------------
Meanwhile, I do often put slightly bigger/sturdier tyres on the back wheel, as that carries more load (and tends to get more p******** for reasons up for debate). But I wouldn't run SAME tyre, different rims (at least not deliberately). I am intrigued!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Intrigued matt?

The bike had two nice Mavic CXP22 rims running 28 tyres.

Back wheel had a rim crack (search one of my recent posts) so, while I pondered things, I put two Rigida sputniks on it I had sitting around for a pending build. Great rims of course but not I fear on this bike - I'm no weight weenie but I was surprised how much heavier the bike felt. And it definitely doesn't have the same nip/spring in its step.

I have two 19mm rim wheels on the way from Taylor wheels which I was going to put on it but it has occurred to me that for now I can just put the Taylor rear on it and retain the CXP22 on the front.

(In time when I get into wheel rebuilding/rimming, I will doubtless rerim the old rear)

I see no reason to change the 28mm tyres. Hell I have even run 28s on a pair of sputniks.

This is the bike by the way, though it now has guards and a V brake on the front.

20161006_141016.jpg

Oh I should add that I don't consider conventional aesthetics much - the less nickable my bikes look the better.

I asked the original question not because of aesthetics but was wondering aloud if the ride/handling might seem odd in any way.

Thanks for the reassurance folks that it won't - it will ride no odder than all my other bikes it seems.

Edited, i of course meant 19mm rims, not inch!! You should have been intrigued by that matt :)
Last edited by Sweep on 6 Sep 2019, 10:15am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Seems like a perfectly sensible plan!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

thanks for the thumbs up matt but unless I've gone mad (or folk think I have) you have deleted the question I was answering :)
Sweep
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

This post:

viewtopic.php?p=1394282#p1394199 ?

It'll all come out in the wash ...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mattheus wrote:This post:

viewtopic.php?p=1394282#p1394199 ?

It'll all come out in the wash ...

Sorry, going blind this end - didn't see it on my second pass as your formatting made that comment look like one of those signatures)taglines I always ignore.
Sweep
mig

Post by mig »

i have done this the 'other' way around i.e a wider rim on the front. i did it on a fixed commuter that hammered the braking surfaces of lightweight front rims. changed it many years ago to one of the old mavic touring rims....were they all 'T' something.....with fairly thick braking surfaces. 28c tyres on both (the rear was an MA3.) worked quite well.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

New BMXs used to come with x2.125 tyre front and x1.75 rear.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

whoof wrote: ........... for instance Michelin on the tyre wall needed to be directly opposite the valve.

I do that, the S in Schwalbe is always lined up with the valve.
If I suffer a puncture while out on a ride and I find the cause in the tyre (thorn,flint,glass) then I know exactly where to look on the inner tube for the hole.
That way I back on the road sooner after a quicker repair.

YMMV ........ :D