Bike security

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mattsccm

Re: Bike security

Post by mattsccm »

I suspect that the OP may be missing something unintentionally. It may be likely that a rider of that type bike is out for a fast training ride and doesn't want himself encumbered by a substantial lock. The so called "cafe stop locks" are nowt but some very thin cable that can be cut with pliers and do no more than deter a snatch thief. To many of us pointless. If it won't go in a back pocket it won't be carried and if it goes in a back pocket it won't be much good. Possibly no more likely to carry a decent lock than fully loaded panniers.
He is also unlikely to park his bike where other people do. Many bike riders are not especially careful and if this is his pride and joy, maybe new, and he is fussy, he may not want other bikes near by. I wouldn't put my best bikes and wheels in that stand either.
A polite request to keep the bike near by isn't an issue to me. I would ask if the cafe was half empty and if refused politely go elsewhere.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

I thought that carbon rims broke rather than bent - so the racks could be referred to as wheel benders/brakers!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Broadcasting how valuable your bike is seems an unlikely approach to good security.
John
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

I'd say the guy's probably just a complete knob end to be honest.

If you have a bike of that value and intend to stop anywhere there's no way you'd go out without a lock so he arrogantly thinks because it's worth more than most of the other bikes outside that should "buy" him the right to take his inside where it's better protected and the menials can all leave theirs outside.

He didn't need to "boast" that it cost £12k .... If I were that concerned about it I'd say it had sentimental value rather than telling someone it's value ..... call me a cynic but he sounds like a complete t*%t to me.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Witterings wrote:I'd say the guy's probably just a complete knob end to be honest.

If you have a bike of that value and intend to stop anywhere there's no way you'd go out without a lock so he arrogantly thinks because it's worth more than most of the other bikes outside that should "buy" him the right to take his inside where it's better protected and the menials can all leave theirs outside. [...]

That's interesting. It seems you have interpreted "take it into the cafe with him" as taking it inside the building, whereas I took it to mean into the cafe's outdoor seating area like at https://showmystreet.com/#vi4x6_nv1p_1a.d_-ak43 or https://showmystreet.com/#viq7g_pvg6_9o.d_-ck43 rather than being left in vintage wheelbenders in the railway car park.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
whoof

Post by whoof »

If I visit a café in order of preference I would rather:
1. Have my unlocked bike next to me.
2. Have a bike with a cheap café lock (edit: fits in the palm of my hand) outside where I can see it.
3. Have a bike with a 'good' lock in a rack where I can't see it, such as in a carpark.

When going on a weekend ride I either take a café lock or a nothing and choose options one or two. If I go somewhere and ask can I bring the bike into the outside seating area so that it's in view and the answer is no I'll go somewhere else, there are plenty of cafes about.

I did go out on a CTC ride recently where the café stop was upstairs inside a supermarket and where the bikes were not in view. Someone commented that my café lock was not very good. However, they all had cable locks that a cheap pair of bolt croppers would cut through in a second. As there were at least 12 of us and some had more attractive bikes than mine I went for safety in numbers. If I had been on my own (or with Mrs Whoof) I wouldn't have used that café.
brooksby

Post by brooksby »

gaz wrote:
Soldiersteve wrote:This is the type of rack we have.

I've seen worse.
CycleParking8.JPG

OMG!!!
Soldiersteve

Post by Soldiersteve »

Witterings wrote:I'd say the guy's probably just a complete knob end to be honest.

If you have a bike of that value and intend to stop anywhere there's no way you'd go out without a lock so he arrogantly thinks because it's worth more than most of the other bikes outside that should "buy" him the right to take his inside where it's better protected and the menials can all leave theirs outside.

He didn't need to "boast" that it cost £12k .... If I were that concerned about it I'd say it had sentimental value rather than telling someone it's value ..... call me a cynic but he sounds like a complete t*%t to me.

Yes, your description of him is pretty accurate. I didn't actually meet him until after he had been in the cafe. I wanted to photograph his bike as I had already planned this thread and was going to put the picture up but decided not to. When I asked him if I could take the picture he assumed I wanted him in it too which I didn't, and then gave me a whole story of what a great cyclist he was. Knob of the day really and I do meet a few!
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

Soldiersteve wrote: When I asked him if I could take the picture he assumed I wanted him in it too which I didn't

You should have said ..... do you mind if I have a pic of the bike on it's own ...... save me having to photoshop you out of it later :lol:
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Playing devil's advocate.

If one was to change a few words in the OP, it could then refer to me wanting to take my bike into my hotel room. Bike not safe outside overnight; valuable bike; lock not adequate; etc.

I have regularly 'battled' with hotel staff when insisting that I have my bike somewhere safe inside my lodgings. In Developing Countries, I never say what my bike costs (£1500), but drop it to something like £400, which still raises eyebrows. Admittedly, I don't dwell on the cost, but use a the insurance want it inside or sometimes it was a present from my now deceased Mother.

Maybe this bloke was a bit of a boasting plonker, but his requirement wasn't so different from that of many of us.
Witterings

Post by Witterings »

simonhill wrote:Playing devil's advocate.

If one was to change a few words in the OP, it could then refer to me wanting to take my bike into my hotel room. Bike not safe outside overnight; valuable bike; lock not adequate; etc.

I have regularly 'battled' with hotel staff when insisting that I have my bike somewhere safe inside my lodgings. In Developing Countries, I never say what my bike costs (£1500), but drop it to something like £400, which still raises eyebrows. Admittedly, I don't dwell on the cost, but use a the insurance want it inside or sometimes it was a present from my now deceased Mother.

Maybe this bloke was a bit of a boasting plonker, but his requirement wasn't so different from that of many of us.

Maybe not but having just been on my 1st tour I rang and asked the hotels if they were bike friendly / somewhere to store them before booking and if they weren't I would have rung around until I found somewhere else that was .... I wouldn't turn up and "battle" with staff as I think the onus is on me to check and I don't think you have any right to insist just because it suits your cause.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

According to the OP, the bloke "wanted" to take the bike inside, which is quite understandable and very different from insisting. The establishment can always say "no", which is equally understandable!
whoof

Post by whoof »

Witterings wrote:
simonhill wrote:Playing devil's advocate.

Maybe not but having just been on my 1st tour I rang and asked the hotels if they were bike friendly / somewhere to store them before booking and if they weren't I would have rung around until I found somewhere else that was .... I wouldn't turn up and "battle" with staff as I think the onus is on me to check and I don't think you have any right to insist just because it suits your cause.

I have never battled with hotel staff but I have gone into some and said 'do you have a room for the night' then say do you have somewhere inside I can keep my bike. If the answer to the first question is yes but the second no, I say thank you, goodbye. Before I've got to the door their policy often changes, especially in small hotels where you are talking to the owner.
If someone wants me to part with my money the onus is on them to provide services and facilities that I require.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Soldiersteve wrote:semi-vertical-bike-racks-upto-10-bikes-p10484-18287_image (1).jpg
This is the type of rack we have.

Looks like more of a mudguard breaker to me
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

How do you lock the bikes to them? As far as I can see my D-lock would only have the reach to lock a wheel to the stand, which is hardly secure. But I may be misreading the picture. (Though all my bikes have mudguards so I wouldn't be able to use it anyway)