Simon Davey frame?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
djnotts

Simon Davey frame?

Post by djnotts »

I've bought this:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=132264

Very nice ride - especially with the 26 x 2 tyres! A couple of issues that overcome or will be (may have to change to retro cantis given fork boss spacing of 65mm does not play well with Vs!).

But does anyone know anything of "Simon Davey"? Google throws up nothing so far. Does seem to be a nicely designed and made frame/forks.
nick12

Re: Simon Davey frame?

Post by nick12 »

Don't know about the maker but that is a lovely bike and you got a bargain for sure.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

It's perfectly happy out-of-place with the massed ranks of carbon race reps, Ti Audax etc at CTC social ride...

531Portland (1).jpg

Rear rim quite worn, failing to source a 36H D521 so far, a mis-matching black 521 on XTR (as is front) bought for the rear end. Also obtained 2 other sets of mid-quality wheels, 1 for 1.5" slicks and 1 for mtb mud-pluggers. And I've always been an XT thumbies enthusiast!
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Does (did) the vendor have any info.

My guess is that SD was ex Raleigh/Carlton builder.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

djnotts wrote:It's perfectly happy out-of-place with the massed ranks of carbon race reps, Ti Audax etc at CTC social ride...

531Portland (1).jpg

Rear rim quite worn, failing to source a 36H D521 so far, a mis-matching black 521 on XTR (as is front) bought for the rear end. Also obtained 2 other sets of mid-quality wheels, 1 for 1.5" slicks and 1 for mtb mud-pluggers. And I've always been an XT thumbies enthusiast!

I recognise that Cafe! I’ve been there this morning - Sibthorpe Fishing Lakes.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

I knew a Simon Davey very many years ago in Bristol, who I think may have got into bike building. I know that he moved to Winchester, and AFAIK still lives there. However, whether it is the same person, I have no idea.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"Does (did) the vendor have any info." Not beyond name and that was built for the one previous owner for a tour of Belgium. The condition suggests that that is about all it ever did!

"I recognise that Cafe! I’ve been there this morning - Sibthorpe Fishing Lakes." Indeed! Usual CTC Thursday venue. The group is too fast for me, so I just make my own (flatter and shorter) way there!
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

djnotts wrote:"Does (did) the vendor have any info." Not beyond name and that was built for the one previous owner for a tour of Belgium. The condition suggests that that is about all it ever did!

You might try to trace that "one previous owner". He/She aught to know who built it. So the person you bought it off; who did they buy it off - and so on back to the builder.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Possible I suppose, but only mildly interested! It's a nice frame and life IS too short to need know more. Thanks.
Recycledman

Post by Recycledman »

Hi I sold the Simon Davey cycle a bout 3 months ago I bought it off the original owner. It was built by Simon Davey in the borders area I think he did some frame building for Jim McGurn in the 80’s. It was used by the original owner for touring etc and he told me he had toured Norway on it not Belgium as mentioned.I only sold it due to a house move and having to reduce my fleet of bikes a regrettable sale but necessary at the time,a great bike glad you are enjoying it cheers George.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Thank you! It rides very nicely - I am pleased with my purchase! Proper touring beyond my health/ability, but I intend using it as my main bike.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

djnotts wrote:
"I recognise that Cafe! I’ve been there this morning - Sibthorpe Fishing Lakes." Indeed! Usual CTC Thursday venue. The group is too fast for me, so I just make my own (flatter and shorter) way there!

I’ve just started riding with the Thursday group, having recently retired. I’ll keep an eye out for you.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

I can't make this week, but when I am there you'll spot the bike (or a KTM carbon!). It's a nice group!
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

A bit more about this Simon Davey frame.

Well, I bought the bike from Dave.
It is now on general rough-stuff duties around Mid and South Wales.
I also think it is a really nice comfortable ride, largely due to the non oversize tubing, the 26x1.5 tyres
and the Salsa "Cowchipper" handlebars. The latter a very comfortable shape.
The frame geometry is more road than off-road with 72deg head and 1.75" fork offset, so the steering is quite 'lively'.
Took some getting used to and can be a bit sketchy on steep stoney descents. I think more fork offset would help.
But overall we've reached an understanding. (The bike and I)

I would love to know a bit more about this bike and whoever made it.
There is a number stamped on the underside of the bottom bracket.
216 suggests a low volume builder, or one relatively early in their career.
I wonder who that was ?

I notice a Simon Davey under the CUK volunteer spotlight. Any connection ?

https://www.cyclinguk.org/real-life-sto ... imon-davey
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Increasing offset decreases trail.
There is something to be said for “modern mountain bike geometry “ which puts the front wheel out in front instead of underneath you, like a road bike. .. quite reassuring when you are slithering down some track with your luggage on the back. …as well as long trail due to a slack head angle without corresponding increase in offset. To decrease the head angle a degree requires about 20mm longer fork.
Bikes in the thirties with a lot of offset were stable by reason of slack head angle.