50/34 chainsets and the older rider

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: 50/34 chainsets and the older rider

Post by Mick F »

Debs wrote:After my ride this afternoon my Average cadence was 98.
A brisk 16 mile ride on easy going course with 80m total of climbing,
A slightly gusty north westerly wind probably pushed up my cadence rate, it's usually around 93 to 96.

I no longer have a cadence unit. I got tired of all the detailed stats. Same as HR stats. My HR monitor has gone now.
However, when I did measure my cadence, it was 67rpm over more than TEN YEARS of rides. I have no reason the think that it's not still the same.

Also, I work on the figure that I ride 100ft of ascent per mile. So, for a 16mile ride, it would be 1,600ft of climbing. That's 490m.
80m must be boring!
I love the hills, it makes cycling wonderfully fantastic. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS
Here's a screenshot of 2012 rides ........ I picked the year at random.
Note the total climb and the average cadence on the top line.
Screen Shot 2019-09-07 at 09.33.57.png
Mick F. Cornwall
NetworkMan

Post by NetworkMan »

Mick F wrote:
Debs wrote:After my ride this afternoon my Average cadence was 98.
A brisk 16 mile ride on easy going course with 80m total of climbing,
A slightly gusty north westerly wind probably pushed up my cadence rate, it's usually around 93 to 96.

I no longer have a cadence unit. I got tired of all the detailed stats. Same as HR stats. My HR monitor has gone now.
However, when I did measure my cadence, it was 67rpm over more than TEN YEARS of rides. I have no reason the think that it's not still the same.

Also, I work on the figure that I ride 100ft of ascent per mile. So, for a 16mile ride, it would be 1,600ft of climbing. That's 490m.
80m must be boring!
I love the hills, it makes cycling wonderfully fantastic. :D

I don't go ride very far very often so all my miles are on this side of the Tamar and I guess that many of yours are too. 100 ft per mile is distance/height gained of 53 and I always reckon that here it's about 50 - so much the same.
However I missread Debs post (during a bout of insomnia) as 80 metres in 16 km not 16 miles. So in fact when I said I'd do 320 metres of climbing I should have said 515 metres!
Debs

Post by Debs »

You guys are so missing the point; as an example of cadence rate in the particular circumstance.
As i clearly stated it is an easy ride of 16m which involves 80m of climbing, so it's far from completely flat.

But i'm not surprised, it is so typical for boring old codger cyclists to to go off on a pee'ing contest of how mountainous their heroic rides are compared to others pancakes! :D

BTW, i live in Wales so yeah flat as pancake everywhere around here LOL :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Debs wrote:You guys are so missing the point; as an example of cadence rate in the particular circumstance.
As i clearly stated it is an easy ride of 16m which involves 80m of climbing, so it's far from completely flat.

But i'm not surprised, it is so typical for boring old codger cyclists to to go off on a pee'ing contest of how mountainous their heroic rides are compared to others pancakes! :D

BTW, i live in Wales so yeah flat as pancake everywhere around here LOL :lol:

16 miles?
80 metres of climbing?
Is this correct?

Mixing metric and Imperial there, but 16miles and 80 metres = 16miles and 263ft
That's 16.5ft per mile.
https://www.calculateme.com/length/
Mick F. Cornwall
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

NickJP wrote:If team managers aren't beating on your front door wanting to pay you to ride a bike for them, you're deluding yourself if you think you need anything bigger.

Most don't but a few do if it matches there riding style.
I don't like to spinout downhill as it wastes energy.
So just like I've got an ultra low first gear (9.4") to make all but the +25% hills easy.
I've also got an ultra high top gear (178") so I don't spinout unless it's steeper than 20% down.
So on long alpine type descents (~10% down) I can keep my legs turning over slowly (~70 rpm) at around 40 mph to my muscles warm.
And before somebody points out the aerodynamic drag of move your legs at +30 mph, they're behind a front fairing on a recumbent trike.
The only time I don't pedal is either when I lean to the inside on a corner to keep the inside wheel on the ground or I'm freewheeling to a junction.
But that's my style, I try an keep the same cadence/energy output no matter what I'm going up/down.

YMMV .......... :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Tigerbiten wrote:But that's my style, I try an keep the same cadence/energy output no matter what I'm going up/down.
Me too.

As far as I can work out, it's good to use a constant "beat" to exercise in general. It suits me anyway!
Run, walk, cycle, climb stairs, climb hills walking or cycling, it's all the same cadence to me. I used to be a sprinter in my school days, but as I grew older, I became a plodder.

Natural rhythm?
Mick F. Cornwall
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

So apparently a major goal of buying an e-bike can be that it looks like a road bike.

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/26631 ... otted-week

Hence the 50/34 chainset...
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

thelawnet wrote:So apparently a major goal of buying an e-bike can be that it looks like a road bike.

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/26631 ... otted-week

Hence the 50/34 chainset...

There's no doubt that fashion now plays a large part in the market for bicycles, as it does in the market for everything else. Many people buy based on image rather than substance. Their bike is some sort of frock.

However, some articles manage to retain the substance even when overlaid with image. These road e-bikes that look like any other road bike (except for a rather fat down tube perhaps) are configured to retain the advantages of road bikes of the racey or semi-racey ("endurance" et al) road bike. They're comfortable but efficient and so suit those who primarily ride for fitness, employing the efficiency and agility of a raceyish bike.

Many e-bikes are more utilitarian - made for transport, primarily, rather than out & out fitness, even though they are a true aid for getting fit amongst those who would otherwise find getting fit too hard. Such bikes would be less efficient than a racey-style e-bike for purely getting or staying fit, though. They're not very suited to going on typical club rides, for example, where the objective of the e-bike is to keep up with other relatively speedier and fitter riders.

Of course, the gearing on non e-bikes is also far too high, as has been discussed in these forums many times. A 50/34 and 11-25 cassette is still suitable for real racing, not the faux kind practiced by MAMILs and others wanting the image of being a racer without the substance of ever actually racing. In this sense, the racey e-bikes are falling victim to the same fashion nonsense as are their non-motorised equivalents.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
CXRAndy

Post by CXRAndy »

I use different cadences and gearing for different events. I have a bike with gearing 115"-18" triple for mountains, I like to spin 90+ rpm. Using my TT bike I have a 56t chain ring to keep my cadence down 75rpm and develop as much power i can.

I tend to do turbo training around 95-105 rpm for upto 4 hours zone 2 power levels. Its great for building stamina, and much more effective than multi hour outdoor. But its not for everyone

Im knocking on mid fifties for age
Carpediem

Post by Carpediem »

[quote="Paulatic"]I like my 50/34 11-30 bike as I ride it most of the summer providing I’m not carrying much weight. I bought it for that job. It got me from LE to JOG without walking

I’ve been using the same 50/34...11-30 cassette for past few years and find it works well for me getting me up the lumpy hills on my normal 25 ml 2350ft ofascent ride.

I do occasionally swap to a 11-34 cassette when I know my ride includes some 10-15 % hills,but that’s not often.
I’m thinking of adding a new bike to my collection soon and have been looking at a canyon with the scram force one 44 single chainring and x10-42 cassette
I know they’re commonly used on Mtb’s and Cx but not often on road bikes.
As I’m now a 70 yr old fart as was hoping the hills might be a bit easier and speed on the flat doesnt bother me now.
Out of interest one bikes I like the look of is the Canyon roadlite cf 9.0 ltd.
It’s not cheap but imo offers good value for money by missing out the retailer coming direct from Germany. It has just been reduced by around £350 to £2349 if i remember correctly.
Any views good or bad would be most welcome