Exercise

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Exercise

Post by mercalia »

Seems the pundits now want to get their claws into babies recommending the miniumum amount of "crawl" time :?

◾infants - 30 mins of tummy time - when the baby is on its front - for infants not yet mobile every day
◾toddlers - 180 minutes per day doing active play

maybe they could suggest how to get a lazy baby to meets its minimum?

what about on its back waggling its legs? or even bellowing out at the top of its voice while shopping in its pram? ( lung exercise)

crawl.JPG

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49609597
Cyril Haearn

Re: Exercise

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe the pundits have not had to do with babies
Sleep is the thing they need most, I think :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
horizon

Post by horizon »

mercalia wrote:

How about getting the baby out of the back of the car and give it some freedom? How about getting the lazy parents to do their minimum?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Cut out the BBC go to the horses mouth https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... elines.pdf
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

mercalia wrote:Seems the pundits now want to get their claws into babies recommending the miniumum amount of "crawl" time :?

◾infants - 30 mins of tummy time - when the baby is on its front - for infants not yet mobile every day
◾toddlers - 180 minutes per day doing active play

what about on its back waggling its legs? or even bellowing out at the top of its voice while shopping in its pram? ( lung exercise)

crawl.JPG

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49609597

Well, if this is the latest fing, there is opportunity for some kickfarter to offer any number of baby-crawl activity gizmos, along with expensive software and membership of baby-striving websites where Chelsea Tractor driving mummies and daddies can have spats about which babies crawled fastest and farthest (and which ones cheated via a daddy-push or mammy-drag).

Babies who fail to make the various grades for crawling, gooing, gurgling and hand-grasping things they shouldn't will be noted down in The Government Big Book of Inadequate Babies, which will be used to deny them various education facilities later on, because they are not worth it.

The Ultimate Meritocracy will soon be established, with only The Very Best (former) Babies allowed power & riches. ........

Hang on, though! This Meritocracy may already be with us! Those in power do seem to be rather infantile, despite all the expensive educational facilities and other leg-ups the greasy poles.

Cugel, a social enjineer.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Grab an end each and give the wee bugger some stretching exercises. Don't forget to make a wish.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
peetee

Post by peetee »

horizon wrote: How about getting the lazy parents to do their minimum?

Fix that and you will fix the world.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

peetee wrote:
horizon wrote: How about getting the lazy parents to do their minimum?

Fix that and you will fix the world.

Ooh, I don't know! Some o' them pushy parents, thrusting their small ones up to the greasy pole and goading them so they start the long climb ....... well, it may be them that's filling the world with narcissists, madly ambitious loons and others happy to destroy everything in their quest for "success".

Cugel, more a lily in a field.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I was in the health centre on Friday morning.

Lady with a pushchair with a two-year-old boy in it waiting for a prescription.
She was in her early 20s and rather overweight. Her boy in the push-chair was rather overweight too, and was eating a bar of chocolate.
It was just after 9am.

What hope does that little lad have for a healthy life?
Mick F. Cornwall
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Mick F wrote:I was in the health centre on Friday morning.

She was in her early 20s and rather overweight. Her boy in the push-chair was rather overweight too, and was eating a bar of chocolate.
It was just after 9am.

Was she making eye contact with the baby .... or on her phone ......
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Jeez! If someone could have communicated to my son he only needed 180 minutes toddle time a day we'd not have been run ragged by him. Since he came along my exercise levels dropped but toddle age 3 hours of running after him kept us fit!

Personally I think each kid is different. Those guidelines are hard for some to adhere to but not for all.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Tangled Metal wrote:Jeez! If someone could have communicated to my son he only needed 180 minutes toddle time a day we'd not have been run ragged by him. Since he came along my exercise levels dropped but toddle age 3 hours of running after him kept us fit!

Personally I think each kid is different. Those guidelines are hard for some to adhere to but not for all.

Ironic, isn't it, that in a society supposedly full of individuals making their own choices and being themselves, we need to have restrictive or even morality-imbued norms that all should adhere to or suffer terrible consequences. Perhaps the full irony is that flocks and herds of media-hypnotised fashion victims read, believe and adopt these norms, despite the struggle and contention with their stump of individuality, worn down by a long series of these instructive norms and the attempts to meet them.

Personally I run with another flock, which attempts to be abnormal .... but often in conformance to norms of its own. Human nature will out, so even the naughty human sheep will eventually go in the fold with a lot of other bleaters. Baaaaaah. :-)

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

landsurfer wrote:
Mick F wrote:I was in the health centre on Friday morning.

It was just after 9am.

Was she making eye contact with the baby .... or on her phone ......
Not on the phone, but waiting for her prescription. The boy was in a forward-facing pushchair ................ handles to the rear ............. and the pushchair was facing outwards towards me. I had more interaction than his mother had with him. He finished his chocolate, then sucked his fingers never once turning round to mum nor she to him.

I stress this was a snapshot of maybe ten minutes, but it had all the traits of being normal for them.

Another little fact. The lad was in his pyjamas.
Mick F. Cornwall