Islabikes shifters?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ratherbeintobago

Islabikes shifters?

Post by ratherbeintobago »

No. 2 spawn is now zooming around on her sister’s cast-off Beinn 20L; only problem is that the shifter (7sp SRAM twister) is a bit stiff.

Has the hive mind got any suggestions? I’ve considered swapping for a SRAM trigger but I had slightly… agricultural X9 on a previous bike and am unsure little hands would cope.
pwa

Re: Islabikes shifters?

Post by pwa »

Have you tried flushing with GT85 / WD40 to see if it just needs lube?
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Wrap a big fat rubber band round the shift-grip.
Service the cable/shifter....I'm well out of date, original "Gripshift" had a specific grease for the shifter....plastic parts might not appreciate solvents etc?
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

I put a slick/die-drawn/polished stainless inner cable and new outer cable pieces on my son's beinn. I also cleaned out the grip shift when replacing the cable. That made it easy enough for him to turn. I had also been considering a switch to trigger shifters for the same reason and have put it on hold. They can also take a fair bit of thumb strength for the upshifts.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

It’s at least a third hand bike and I bet the cables have never been changed.

Can’t see an obvious oil port on the shifter (SRAM Comp 3.0)?
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

There's isn't, it's just a plastic on plastic system, it's a very basic shifter. There's some special grip shift lube you can buy. I just cleaned the grit out and smeared some of the existing lube around.
Last edited by alexnharvey on 9 Sep 2019, 6:22am, edited 1 time in total.
RRSODL

Post by RRSODL »

ratherbeintobago wrote:No. 2 spawn is now zooming around on her sister’s cast-off Beinn 20L; only problem is that the shifter (7sp SRAM twister) is a bit stiff.

Has the hive mind got any suggestions? I’ve considered swapping for a SRAM trigger but I had slightly… agricultural X9 on a previous bike and am unsure little hands would cope.

I had the same problem with grandson's Bennin and it really needed a replacement so I ordered a new one for £9 I think ( years ago) from Wiggle.