physical membership card

Caledonia64

physical membership card

Post by Caledonia64 »

Yep i have searched 'membership card" and there were 500 results. So my quick q.is, does one still receive an actual physical in-ones-cycling-mitts CTC membership card nowadays (my membership lapsed for about 10 years, just rejoined)?
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: physical membership card

Post by Mick F »

I have mine. Membership is by direct debit, and a new card arrives each year.
I don't carry mine with me though. My membership number is easy to remember, so I could quote it any time.

I'm a member because of the 3rd party insurance mainly. Well worth the fee.
Mick F. Cornwall
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Yes, card has gone from laminated paper to a proper plastic credit card; mine is in my wallet as we speak (just checked).

I’d be fine with a virtual one in eg Apple Wallet mind you.
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

I wish organisations would stop replacing thin peel-off laminated membership cards with plastic ingots where this is not needed. National Trust and Cycling UK both did this. I just looked and I have 14 credit-card sized cards of the standard 0.76mm thickness in my bulging wallet.

I can see there needs to be a bit of thickness and stiffness for cards that need to include contactless / chip and PIN technology, and be swiped and pushed into ATMs. You don't need this for cards that simply say who you are etc. 6 of my cards need to be "active". The rest are just printed bits of plastic.

With 66000 members, Cycling UK uses a 50m long ingot of plastic with a credit card cross section every year for renewal membership cards.

Cambridge Cycling Campaign give me a thin membership card that has a QR code on it, and is also good for 6 years - you get a code to write in a box each time you renew. One thin card every 6 years. I can see that the annual Cycling UK card shows you paid in the last year and are a current member, so multi-year may not possible in every case.

So it would be good if organisations considered thin loyalty/membership cards, multi-year cards, or virtual cards where this is possible.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

backnotes wrote:I wish organisations would stop replacing thin peel-off laminated membership cards with plastic ingots where this is not needed. National Trust and Cycling UK both did this. I just looked and I have 14 credit-card sized cards of the standard 0.76mm thickness in my bulging wallet.

Funnily enough, the NT were talking about allowing people to carry their membership cards electronically now they’ve moved to a QR code system but this seems to have gone quiet.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

ratherbeintobago wrote:Yes, card has gone from laminated paper to a proper plastic credit card; mine is in my wallet as we speak (just checked).

I’d be fine with a virtual one in eg Apple Wallet mind you.

That was a retrogradein my opinion
A more plastic
B the old one made a good tyre boot.
NUKe

Post by richardfm »

ratherbeintobago wrote:
backnotes wrote:I wish organisations would stop replacing thin peel-off laminated membership cards with plastic ingots where this is not needed. National Trust and Cycling UK both did this. I just looked and I have 14 credit-card sized cards of the standard 0.76mm thickness in my bulging wallet.

Funnily enough, the NT were talking about allowing people to carry their membership cards electronically now they’ve moved to a QR code system but this seems to have gone quiet.

I use an app called Stocard to store my NT, Cycling UK, Ramblers, Camping and Caravanning Club and many other cards. I've never had problem with the electronic version on the app being accepted. The QR code can be scanned from the phone, the same as from a card
Richard M
Cardiff
millimole

Post by millimole »

ratherbeintobago wrote:

I noticed that NT cards can be stored in Google Pay on Android. I've not tried it, and would be nervous about using it if only for the complications of the parking machines.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider