Dogs on Wheels

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Caledonia64

Dogs on Wheels

Post by Caledonia64 »

I got an e-newsletter from the CTC with an article about a couple touring Europe with their dog in a trailer. I had had thoughts of a dog trailer prior to that (having in the past used a child trailer why touring/YH wiith a child).

WHat is the general experience of cycle camping with dogs and trailers on this forum?
What is the general experience, actually, of dogs in cycle trailers, more widely?

What assessments of the various trailers available (I found a lovely Belgian site that sells a good range of dog trailers, which I would prefer to patronise, presuming that the trailers they offer might be more fit for purpose over buying a trailer made in China online, however cheap)?

Equally said I do not have the funds for a £500 dog trailer, especially not before trying out my dogs in a trailer.
Carlton green

Re: Dogs on Wheels

Post by Carlton green »

I’m not certain what the law on carrying dogs is but so long as a bit of common sense is used (as to what you do and where) and there are no accidents then I don’t suppose that anyone is too bothered about their carriage. What I would say to anyone is that dogs are heavy and as such can take quite some pulling ...... don’t ask how I know.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I once came across a couple touring with a dog in a trailer.
Uphill the dog could jump out and keep up running alongside. Downhill it had a fast ride
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Caledonia64

Post by Caledonia64 »

Carlton green wrote:I’m not certain what the law on carrying dogs is but so long as a bit of common sense is used (as to what you do and where) and there are no accidents then I don’t suppose that anyone is too bothered about their carriage. What I would say to anyone is that dogs are heavy and as such can take quite some pulling ...... don’t ask how I know.

Yes, there is that. And while I might not (yet) tour with dogs in a trailer, it would be handy to get them to the forrest (Fetteresso Forest) for a walk/run without the getting there exhausting them (and me - I find walking more tiring than cycling), and without the time walking 3miles each way would take. I could chose whether to tie up trailer and bike or just trailer and accompany the dogs on wheels round the forest. (Their trackers show they run 5 x what a human accompanying them walks) it would be downhill all the way home at the end fo the walk
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Ours hated it with a passion!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I have often wondered about this in particular, what do you do with your dog when you are in a supermarket or restaurant or showers, etc.

When I lived in France I'd take my dogs in the car when going shopping (as hey loved trips) but only in winter (heat). But in the UK I would not due to the risk of theft. And I'd never risk leaving my dog outside a supermarket on a lead hooked to something. Too easy for them to get stolen.

In Netherlands this summer there was one instance that worried me a bit with somebody tent camping with their dog (well behaved dog). They had a car but too hot for the dog to be in the car. The concern was somebody else in a tent nearby who kept trying to take the dog off "for a swim" and the owner had to "what are you doing" and calling his dog back (there was nowhere to go for a swim even without a dog!). I don't think the person was trying to steal the dog but t was all a bit strange and worrying.

When I had dogs I wondered abut getting a trailer for one of my Border Collies (just for going out for day rides) but decided she was probably too old (at 10 years) to adapt well.

Ian
Caledonia64

Post by Caledonia64 »

Psamathe wrote:I have often wondered about this in particular, what do you do with your dog when you are in a supermarket or restaurant or showers, etc.

When I lived in France I'd take my dogs in the car when going shopping (as hey loved trips) but only in winter (heat). But in the UK I would not due to the risk of theft. And I'd never risk leaving my dog outside a supermarket on a lead hooked to something. Too easy for them to get stolen.

In Netherlands this summer there was one instance that worried me a bit with somebody tent camping with their dog (well behaved dog). They had a car but too hot for the dog to be in the car. The concern was somebody else in a tent nearby who kept trying to take the dog off "for a swim" and the owner had to "what are you doing" and calling his dog back (there was nowhere to go for a swim even without a dog!). I don't think the person was trying to steal the dog but t was all a bit strange and worrying.

When I had dogs I wondered abut getting a trailer for one of my Border Collies (just for going out for day rides) but decided she was probably too old (at 10 years) to adapt well.

Ian

I do sometimes leave my doggies outside the small local shops where I can see them - but only in the very small town where I live. I am not sure I would camp traditionally with my dogs (not the best behaved - rescue hunting dogs from Spain), - we have no car - unless with another person to keep watch. Wild camping maybe. Or initally trips to the Forest (there used to be a bus twice a day to the forest, then twice a week, then twice a week but only one dog and no request stops, then more recently it was taken off/reinstated and may now again be taken off because people wanted the request stops to get off/on at the forest and they would not put a stop there). Obviously the bus was not a cycle option And it would be good to ride the mountain bike trails in the forest (I am so slow the dogs would keep up), if we could get there
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

Some advice here from Cycling Gypsies>> https://cyclinggypsies.wordpress.com/dogs-on-bikes/
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Caledonia64 wrote:... unless with another person to keep watch.....

Something I'd completely overlooked. I cycle, camp and travel alone so I'd completely overlooked two (or more) people together where one can look after the dog(s) whilst the other shops, showers, etc.

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Is dog theft common?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Caledonia64 wrote:
Carlton green wrote:I’m not certain what the law on carrying dogs is but so long as a bit of common sense is used (as to what you do and where) and there are no accidents then I don’t suppose that anyone is too bothered about their carriage. What I would say to anyone is that dogs are heavy and as such can take quite some pulling ...... don’t ask how I know.

Yes, there is that. And while I might not (yet) tour with dogs in a trailer, it would be handy to get them to the forrest (Fetteresso Forest) for a walk/run without the getting there exhausting them (and me - I find walking more tiring than cycling), and without the time walking 3miles each way would take. I could chose whether to tie up trailer and bike or just trailer and accompany the dogs on wheels round the forest. (Their trackers show they run 5 x what a human accompanying them walks) it would be downhill all the way home at the end fo the walk

As I read the thread it sounds to me like you’re in a quiet-ish part of the country. If such is the case then hitch up your lowest geared bike to the trailer and just see what you can manage to pull. A well behaved dog is unlikely to jump out of the trailer and if it does then no doubt you’ll have attached a safety lead to it and the trailer - of course you will be moving your dog(s) within some high wall containment that’s securely mounted on the trailer. A smaller dog (Terrier size) might well fit into a suitable basket on your rear rack instead of a trailer. Obviously it will take a bit of training and time for your dog(s) to get used to being towed around, etc. Good luck and enjoy :wink: .
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
krull

Post by krull »

This our set up with Noodle on her trailer..
The trailer is a BOB Yak. The crate is made from two of those plastic stacking crates - very modified.
She wears a harness that is clipped in to prevent her her from jumping out if we pass a cat or whatever.

My advice would be:

The set up is not light, I would usually budget on 50 mile a day fully loaded normally, but now 35 with the dog. She will get bored if in there too long so has to be walked. We usually do this where the route uses gravel tracks/byways etc where we all walk.

Lower your gearing. But don't be afraid to walk with the dog up very steep hills - pointless busting a gut when the dog would be happy walking anyway.
Forget SPD's. I use pinned MTB pedals. The dog will shuffle about which can take you unawares if going slowly, so I prefer to be able to put my foot down quickly if this happens.

Single wheel trailers work better (I have used both) for cycling. You can get past bollards, go up narrow tracks, avoid potholes far more easily.

The person not pulling the trailer goes behind, to keep an eye on things.

There are two of us. We both have a trailer-mounting axle and the same make/type of pannier racks. The luggage/trailer can be swapped between bikes to share weight or swap about. The plan is to take one set of front panniers, to be carried by the one without the trailer.

Remember, not really possible to travel with bikes & dog & trailer on the train.

Works well enough for us, but it does take some getting used to. Good Luck
Attachments
20190908_222819.jpg
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Caledonia64 wrote: What is the general experience, actually, of dogs in cycle trailers, more widely?

Mine is limited to an occasion when a spaniel jumped on board my empty cargo trailer as I rode through a park. I didn't realise what had happened at first, thinking I had just hit a bump, then heard the shouts of the dog's owner and looking to see what the fuss was about found I had a hitchhiker. He got out on being told to.

I would think this would only work with a small and placid dog. One that wanted to chase every passing cat or sheep, sniff every passing dog, etc, or just shifted about a lot would make a difficult passenger, especially if it was a heavy dog. I'd imagine a heavy dog deciding to leap around could, even if restrained by a lead, etc, capsize the trailer.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Is dog theft common?

"Common" would require statistics which I don't have. I've not suffered so am completely dependent on reports and what others have told me. It's a risk. Varies by area. Many dog agility club owners have told me of the risks in supermarket car parks (stolen to be sold or for puppy farms, not stolen by loving families who cannot afford to purchase their own dog).

But I am only repeating what I've been told and seen on TV news (local "magazine" programs).

Ian