It is earnestly to be hoped - we love the Manchester Guardian / the Independent!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: It is earnestly to be hoped - we love the Guardian / the Independent!

Postby 661-Pete » 7 Aug 2019, 8:48am

Could we possibly drop the "Manchester" from the thread title please? After all the paper hasn't been called that since 1959.

I ask this mainly because a guy I used to know (and whom I heartily disliked) used to always refer to the paper by its former name, disparagingly - especially whenever he spotted me holding a copy (he was probably a DM reader himself...).

On the other hand, I'm perfectly happy with calling it the Grauniad. Indeed I often do so myself. It's a term of endearment.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

661-Pete

Re: It is earnestly to be hoped - we love the Grauniad / the Independent!

Postby 661-Pete » 7 Aug 2019, 9:22am

I've just done something I thought I'd never do. Oh the shame! :oops: :oops: :oops:

I've subscribed to a paywall....

In mitigation, I must explain that it's to the Washington Post. Now that's a media that I do care to take seriously now and again, alongside the Grauniad and the Indy. And it's only a dollar for the first month. I wanted to see what they have to say about the appalling gun crime situation, over there...

I'll see if they let me cancel easily, once I get bored with reading...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

brynpoeth

Re: It is earnestly to be hoped - we love the Grauniad / the Independent!

Postby brynpoeth » 9 Sep 2019, 5:56am

661-Pete wrote:I've just done something I thought I'd never do. Oh the shame! :oops: :oops: :oops:

I've subscribed to a paywall....

In mitigation, I must explain that it's to the Washington Post. Now that's a media that I do care to take seriously now and again, alongside the Grauniad and the Indy. And it's only a dollar for the first month. I wanted to see what they have to say about the appalling gun crime situation, over there...

I'll see if they let me cancel easily, once I get bored with reading...

What did it say about gun crime?
I worked for an amirican firm in Old Europe, we were warned about gun crime, had to explain that it is very rare over here
Trumpland is huge, is gun crime actually quite rare over there, statistically?
The Grauniad has upgraded to clickbaiting, recently read of someone who vanquished a crocodile, and about killer algae on the French coast (smells perfectly disgusting)
The Life&Style section is particularly strange, bet I could learn some things I dinnae want to learn there :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

Tangled Metal

Re: It is earnestly to be hoped - we love the Manchester Guardian / the Independent!

Postby Tangled Metal » 16 Sep 2019, 10:20am

Just been reading grauniad business life page. Is it becoming the latest tabloid?

Biggest spike in oil price in history headline subtitle. Further down it's got the caveat (since the 80s). So it's not the biggest spike in history then.

Still I guess it could drive up fuel prices I suppose. If I win three duel will I get a discount? I choose good old unarmed combat. I'll waiver the to the death part if you don't mind!

This is a split post between not liking the tabloid style spin but liking the spelling mistake. After reading the rubbish attention seeking headline the spelling mistake reminded me why the grauniad has its own character that's special. :D

brynpoeth

Re: It is earnestly to be hoped - we love the Manchester Guardian / the Independent!

Postby brynpoeth » 16 Oct 2019, 6:45pm

The Manchester Grauniad knows that I have read more than 200 articles in the last month and asks for a small financial contribution
Should I pay?

Must have bought the printed newspaper a thousand times back then on paper :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life