The Scottish midge

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
LollyKat

The Scottish midge

Post by LollyKat »

From time to time there are posts asking about the Scottish midge. First-time visitors sometimes wonder whether it really deserves its ferocious reputation - this recent photograph by James Milligan taken in Ardnamurchan (one of the midgiest places in Scotland) may help them decide for themselves:

From BBC News Scotland
Last edited by LollyKat on 8 Sep 2019, 1:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
Audax67

Re: The Scottish midge

Post by Audax67 »

Have we got time for another cuppa?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

from the size of it been feeding on large Scotish legs and arms
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

The West Coast is definitely the worst - I have to time my tours specifically to avoid the worst of the midges. However, on the rare occasion that I've had to go in the summer months (climbing/walking rather than cycling) I've taken all the precautions possible.

Great photo!
feefee8

Post by feefee8 »

They're pretty much gone for the year now :D That fella has had a few lumps of out of me this year :lol: :lol:
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

mercalia wrote:from the size of it been feeding on large Scotish legs and arms

Not just Scottish ones - think of all those unsuspecting (or unbelieving) foreigners!
althebike

Post by althebike »

I was chugging up this hill at the Bridge of Brown last year, slow enough for them to get me. All I could imagine was this swarm flying in one ear, out of the other, being inhaled and hoping they were enjoying their feast, and maybe get blood poisoning for biting an Englishman.
profpointy

Post by profpointy »

I remember a visit to the small grocer in Glencoe some years ago and noted they only had about two vegetables for sale but had a choice of six different kinds of midge repellent. I thought that rather telling - and perhaps indicated that none of the repellants worked that well else they'd only have stocked one or two
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

They probably have seven different kinds of midge:

There were several different kinds of bugs
And some had feet like dyers' clugs
They got in our hair and they got in our lugs
And cried "Hurrah for Rothesay-o".

Camped in Braemar in the 70s and saw nary a one despite it being a bit marshy 100 yds downstream.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

We were up on the Ardnamurchan peninsula the last week in August and it was particularly bad :(
We stayed in a Log-cabin in Strontian and got bit to *$%£ despite trying Jungle Formula extreme and Avon skin so soft :roll:
The only thing that seemed to work was burning Citronella Candles both inside the Cabin and out!

Stunning area but didn't care for the cycling much :(
pwa

Post by pwa »

I reject the idea that Scottish midges are more feisty than Welsh ones. Some year ago I had to work in a Welsh conifer plantation on a damp, misty day and the blighters made a meal of me. When I got home my face was so blotched and swollen that my wife was all for taking me to A&E.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

pwa wrote:I reject the idea that Scottish midges are more feisty than Welsh ones. Some year ago I had to work in a Welsh conifer plantation on a damp, misty day and the blighters made a meal of me. When I got home my face was so blotched and swollen that my wife was all for taking me to A&E.

I wouldn't venture to the West Highlands then if I were you.......you not make it out of there in one piece :lol:

Never been bit in Wales.Didn't realise they had biting midges?
robing

Post by robing »

The midges are no bother when you are actually cycling as they are weak fliers. The cleg on the other hand will easily keep up with you on the hills and can give through your clothing.