Stourbridge Bicycle User Group

Anything relating to the clubs associated with Cycling UK
Ru88ell

Stourbridge Bicycle User Group

Post by Ru88ell »

This year I started a local cycling group, specifically because I, and others, didn't feel that other groups in the area catered for us.

It's been really successful, as we took a group of non-cyclists and turned them into cyclists in easy stages. Our membership has rocketed from 0 to over 60 in 7 months - and all from within a 3 mile radius of Stourbridge. We meet socially twice each month, and have a fairly informal ride diary that depends on the weather. The driver behind gaining so many many members so quickly was a challenge to train ladies to cycle the 40 miles to Stratford upon Avon. You may have read about it in Cycling Weekly in July.

Membership is mostly female; I would say about 85%. We have family groups and singles, and the upper ages are in the mid 60's.

Our CTC affiliation was quite difficult to sort out, as I don't think that there are many others that went through the process. Our members pay £8 to join, and then we like them to become affiliated CTC members for an additional £12. No-one has baulked at paying £20 so far.

It's not that hard to start an affiliated group, as it's quite informal and people are more likely to join this than, say, a DA. I'm more than happy to assist if other want to do similar.

www.stourbug.org.uk
Last edited by Ru88ell on 22 Aug 2007, 10:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

Just thought your success deserves a "well done"

So well done!

Gazza
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
Tandemist

Post by Tandemist »

Is Stourbug still going ?
From the website there don't appear to be many rides and non since the Macride ?
I live near Stourbridge and could be interested in joining...
Ru88ell

Post by Ru88ell »

Yes, we're still going very well thanks. 130+ members last year, renewals running at around 70 since the process started on 1st Oct.

We don't tend to promote rides on the main website at www.stourbug.org.uk, as most planning is done on our member only forum. We have rides most weekends and through the week too. Last weekend about 20+ of us went on a 70 mile weekend tour to Wilderhope Manor.

We keep the forum as members only to keep it a small friendly community. Also, as around 80+% of the membership is female between the ages of 40 and 70 it gives them a sense of security that their whereabouts aren't in general circulation.

However, Tandemist (and we've got a few of those) if you want to join as a guest for a couple of weeks to see what's happening you can join via www.the-edens.org.uk/forum/index.php. We use a full names policy, and like to know who's joining.

Rgds
Russell Eden
Chairman
www.stourbug.org.uk
Tandemist

Post by Tandemist »

Thanks Russell, I have registered on your forum but it needs your approval before activating... :)
JMercier

Re: Stourbridge Bicycle User Group

Post by JMercier »

I'm from London, do you guys know similar bicycle user groups here? Or maybe it's much easier to create one myself?

Ru88ell, do you have a plan of your group? I mean, what usually do you do guys? Long trips, short trips? or just cycling around?
Jason Mercier , London, UK, indoor cycling shoes
Tandemist

Post by Tandemist »

I would really like to ride with the Stourbridge Bicycle User Group as i live so close to Stourbridge and have a lot of time on my hands now as I am "resting" between jobs, but their activities are so ridiculously secret that it's not possible to look them up on the internet to see where & when their rides start from !
I'm surprised they get any riders at all.
Guess I'll just have to carry on riding with Pushbikes (www.pushbikes.org.uk) :D
Regarding rides in London try the London Cycling Campaign (www.lcc.org.uk) :wink:
Si

Post by Si »

I've never had any trouble finding the ride details on the website in the past, although I've never managed to do one as they are on the other side of town. Perhaps you should let Russell know of your problems - he's a very helpful chap.

edit, just had a look on the website - the rides, start times and start locations are listed (well, for April anyway) but they do ask that you contact them rather than just turning up - probably for insurance purposes and other practiclities.

As I understand it they ride at a relaxed pace and have rides at various levels up to around 40miles, although I might be a little OOD here, plus pub nights.
Ru88ell

Post by Ru88ell »

Here I am. What seems to be the problem?

Website is http://www.stourbug.org.uk and has monthly ride list and contact details. Loads of other rides happen on a random basis via our forum, but this is members only. This forum is the lifeblood of the club and has, on average, over 100 new topics per month, 1200 posts, and 60,000 to 100,000 page impressions. We're a busy group! Membership stands at just under 200 as of yesterday.

Go to the website, click forum in Links and register for a guest account, valid for a couple of weeks.

Ru88ell
Tandemist

Post by Tandemist »

Thanks Russell, Hope to see you soon..... :D
Si

Post by Si »

Ru88ell wrote:.....

Ru88ell

Oo, oo, do I win the £5er for identifying that as the animal pound down Rudge? :D
Ru88ell

Post by Ru88ell »

No, but free drinks on me if you can make one of our socials. :wink:
Si

Post by Si »

Ru88ell wrote:No, but free drinks on me if you can make one of our socials. :wink:

dunno about socials but I'm going to try to get to one of your rides - I have to admit that you do live on the superior side of the city for cycling, and I fancy a change! (and I see that you are doing a special offer on membership :D )