Giant Twist Battery

Electrically assisted bikes, trikes, etc. that are legal in the UK
Smiler1968

Giant Twist Battery

Post by Smiler1968 »

Hi all, I’m refurbishing a Giant Twist battery for an ebike. The battery is a 26v 9amp lump (a few years old now and was stored completely dead for a number of years).

I’ve dismantled the pack and the cells are Sanyo R2112 N51B pink body green ring on top. There are really a few other markings but none that tell me whether these are ma they are. 2200, 2500, 2700, 2900 or even more?????

Does anyone have any idea which battery is the best option to buy?

Regards

Jerry.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad using hovercraft full of eels.
hemo

Re: Giant Twist Battery

Post by hemo »

How many cells in parallel ?

Divide the ah which is 9 by the cells in parallel to get the individual call mah rating.
Cells are old so capacity will be poor compared to todays cells, likely 2250mah if 4 cells in P.
Smiler1968

Post by Smiler1968 »

hemo wrote:How many cells in parallel ?

Divide the ah which is 9 by the cells in parallel to get the individual call mah rating.
Cells are old so capacity will be poor compared to todays cells, likely 2250mah if 4 cells in P.

I didn’t think of that. Thanks. I know I need to keep to 26v to keep the controller happy, is there any issue with increasing the amps?

hemo

Post by hemo »

Smiler1968 wrote:

I didn’t think of that. Thanks. I know I need to keep to 26v to keep the controller happy, is there any issue with increasing the amps?

Do you mean can I increase the battery ah/capacity ?
If so the answer is yes as ah/capacity only affects range, multiply the ah x nominal voltage to get the batteries wh rating.
The more the better if you want range, more ah/capacity means the voltage will be held longer in the upper range of the batteries discharge for a bit more power.

Voltage wise you can't increase without:
A. Changing the BMS.
B. Looking at the capacitors to see what their voltage rating are.
Smiler1968

Post by Smiler1968 »

hemo wrote:
Smiler1968 wrote:

Do you mean can I increase the battery ah/capacity ?
If so the answer is yes as ah/capacity only affects range, multiply the ah x nominal voltage to get the batteries wh rating.
The more the better if you want range, more ah/capacity means the voltage will be held longer in the upper range of the batteries discharge for a bit more power.

Voltage wise you can't increase without:
A. Changing the BMS.
B. Looking at the capacitors to see what their voltage rating are.

Thanks for that. I intend to replace the cells one for one. So I’m keeping the same configuration but increasing the ah/capacity (by using more up to date cells). Hopefully the voltage won’t change at all.

pengeuser

Post by pengeuser »

How did your battery refurb go? I'm facing the same situation and would welcome any tips. I've got the impression so far that the original charger AND bms will need to be replaced. Is that correct? Thanks and best regards
Smiler1968

Post by Smiler1968 »

pengeuser wrote:How did your battery refurb go? I'm facing the same situation and would welcome any tips. I've got the impression so far that the original charger AND bms will need to be replaced. Is that correct? Thanks and best regards

The refurb went really well. I used the original BMS and charger without any issues. I peeled off the nickel plates, flattened them and reused them. I bought some nickel strip and placed a strip over the areas damaged by the original welding. It’s still going strong at the moment.