Do you have a "grab bag"?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Do you have a "grab bag"?

Post by mercalia »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49631455

Seems like the cops thinks its a good idea. I have one but it ain't what the cops suggest - mine is my pass port and bank books/cards a fair amount of cash, a mobile and a small notebook
reohn2

Re: Do you have a "grab bag"?

Post by reohn2 »

Oh Pleeze! not that,not now,not ever... :roll:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

With the exception of drink (which would need to be either evil plastic bottles or freshened often) and copies of personal documents, isn't this basically our bike luggage for most of us?

Police say: pen and notepad, toiletries, phone charger, flashlight, batteries, seasonal clothing, food and water, first aid kit, whistle, emergency plan (= copies of documents I think), radio.

My bike bag usually contains: a flashlight that can charge phones, waterproof and buff (and sometimes a jumper in spring/autumn), first aid kit, some toiletries (maybe not everything I'd want for an extended absence but it would be a bit daft to carry that every time), wallet (including ID) and bonus: some tools. My coat pockets usually contain a pen and notepad and my phone which has a radio on it, but in summer, they'll often be in the bag too.

I don't really understand people ridiculing the idea as such - but I think the ad campaign is a waste of money because people who don't do it anyway will keep going out without basic stuff or take flaming ages to get out of their house every time (which may also possibly be flaming) and people who already do it don't need to be told.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Grab bag?
What do they expect, a nuclear strike?

What about the three cats, the parrot and the dog? Do they have grab bags too?
Mick F. Cornwall
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Grab bag by the door. Downstairs is full of smoke. You jump it if the window. Pointless grab bag.

Grab bag gets tripped over for the nth time. So it goes into cupboard and isn't where it's ready to grab. Pointless.

Passport, bank documents, etc. They're all replaceable. Photographs only if online cloud stored.

Most people live near enough to someone else to get some form if shelter if desperate.

I have read enough about preppers to know that it's not the kit that's important but the planning. By this I mean planning ways out of your house quickly from any room. I replaced all my windows a few years ago. Every one has a section that opens wide enough to get out quickly and easily, except the bathroom. The bathroom has a small window but it is possible to get out through it. There's even a strong, cast iron drainpipe to climb down after av wide window sill.

Most people probably need emergency ladders but all our windows have something underneath to help its climb down.

Personally I think kit bags are a bit useless, unless in the car parked outside, away from the house (with key near you all three time of course).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:Oh Pleeze! not that,not now,not ever... :roll:

maybe Boris needs to have one against the day that a price is put on his head?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Oh Pleeze! not that,not now,not ever... :roll:

maybe Boris needs to have one against the day that a price is put on his head?

The way he's going presently I'll bet he feels like putting his head in a 'grab bag' :lol: :lol: :lol:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well I think it is a good idea, but not the survivalist one the cops suggest - wouldnt last long. Some time a go there was a fire in the bottom flat where I live and the whole common stairways was filled with smoke. Could have been an evacuation at a minutes notice. The only thing I dont have in mine is a pistol, as I suppose mine is a typical spies bolt bag :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49630496

as it was , in my case the fire inspector was congratulatory how the building was built that the fire didnt spread.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

It sounds like one of those fascist scare thingies, implying that there are dark yet unseen enemies about to wreak havoc. A bit like those announcements at railway stations that urge us (every 5 minutes) to look for and report "suspicious behaviour". Perhaps we should all call a railway policeman and tell them about BoJoklown's antics?

It's all getting a bit Stasi. One wonders why. Perhaps it's just an amplification of The Politics of Fear, as part of the control-them efforts of Murdoch and The Barclay Brothers?

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Quick answer is YES!

1. I have always travelled with a small;l bag in my car with the essentials for an overnight stay or a night in the car

2. I have two elderly relatives who both require an occasional emergency visit, as above I can just go. No need to worry about packing

3. I have on occasion had to go into work to sort out floods or similar - again no problem if it becomes and overnighter
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

In the US they call it a "Bug Out" and they have whole sites dedicated to Bug Out Bikes

Last edited by Graham on 9 Sep 2019, 8:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: url syntax corrected
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Tangled Metal wrote:Grab bag by the door. Downstairs is full of smoke. You jump it if the window. Pointless grab bag.

Grab bag gets tripped over for the nth time. So it goes into cupboard and isn't where it's ready to grab. Pointless.

Passport, bank documents, etc. They're all replaceable. Photographs only if online cloud stored.

Most people live near enough to someone else to get some form if shelter if desperate.

I have read enough about preppers to know that it's not the kit that's important but the planning. By this I mean planning ways out of your house quickly from any room. I replaced all my windows a few years ago. Every one has a section that opens wide enough to get out quickly and easily, except the bathroom. The bathroom has a small window but it is possible to get out through it. There's even a strong, cast iron drainpipe to climb down after av wide window sill.

Most people probably need emergency ladders but all our windows have something underneath to help its climb down.

Personally I think kit bags are a bit useless, unless in the car parked outside, away from the house (with key near you all three time of course).

I read a book on safety when travelling, and one of the points was preparedness.

To this day whenever I am in a Hotel, or somewhere I do not know I always make sure I know where the exits are. Aoparently that simple task doubles your chance of survival n a fire!
sjs

Post by sjs »

Walkers make Grab Bags. Basic ready salted is my favourite.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Cunobelin wrote:I read a book on safety when travelling, and one of the points was preparedness.

To this day whenever I am in a Hotel, or somewhere I do not know I always make sure I know where the exits are. Aoparently that simple task doubles your chance of survival n a fire!

Yes, I read something about that too. IIRC the same applies to flights. Those who read the safety sheet and listen to the steward flight safety demonstration has the better chance of survival if seen incident can be survivable that is. It's possibly just the action if thinking about things that might be what helps not actually working through all situations.

The other aspect yes purely human. There are certain traits that help too. One trait it's supposedly adhd
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I always have an overnight bag plus sleeping bag in the car if off on the mainland. Weather and ferries can be dodgy sometimes so no problem if not able to get home. If travelling on foot always have emergency supply of medication for same reason. At home I have a “ hospital bag” as a couple of times I have been whisked off by ambulance so easy to keep handy and hope it is never needed again.