Grade C Bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
TonyP22

Grade C Bike

Post by TonyP22 »

Hello,
I have been offered a Grade C (Please see attached image) 2017 Trek Pro Caliber 9.9 at a very good price. I was wondering if anyone has bought a Grade C type of bike before and if they are any good and whether it is worth it
Thanks,
Tony
Attachments
BEE0CEA4-F41A-4D1A-B75B-53A9BDDB3CA9.jpeg
Brucey

Re: Grade C Bike

Post by Brucey »

those things could mean different things to different people. Basically you could be buying a secondhand bike... However a major difference is if it still carries the manufacturer's warranty or not; does it?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I would say 75% max?

Used perhaps 50pc?

So midway between new and sh.

However deals in new bikes might made a new bike close to that price if discounted.

Cheers James
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Depends on so much.
Is there a warranty?
Have all worn bits been replaced as us often the case with ex hire bikes? I,d expect chain, cassette, tyres, brake blocks or pads and maybe cables.
What is the state of the bike?
What is the price?
What quality is the bike?
25% off retail isn't worth it unless it's a rarely discounted model with nothing more than the odd tiny more, that is the only thing you would consider.
I'd buy such a thing if the price was right but not if it wasn't a bargain.
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

HI
IMHO you need to see it and/or buy with a guaranteed right to return a 2yo CF (I guess) MTB with "major scratches,...Specs may differ..." etc
You can probably find 25% off an unused one if you look around
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The description of a grade C bike would scare me off unless I saw it first
thelawnet

Post by thelawnet »

a used MTB that has been thrashed hard, potentially submerged in water, etc? And one with very expensive parts? Could cost thousands to put right.

That would be a no, unless the cost is pennies on the pound.

Hubs made of cheese, , cassette that costs £400, carbon *everything* with possible damage.

Because it's a massively overpriced halo product to start with, and it's now 2 years old, you need to start with 33% off for a spanking new one, and the continue all the expensive parts that might need to be replaced
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Sorry if A, B and C bikes are recognised descriptions, but I have never heard of them.

Who offered you the bike and whose A,B,C list is this?
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

There's nothing wrong with the grading A/B/C, however as others have said they are open to interpretation and they are fairly non specific in their wording.
ALL the bikes will be used, 'very good condition' to me means that it's not excellent or 'mint' which IMO are useful grades that I would place above 'very good', a seasons use could mean anything, depending on who is using and what the use is for that could be 400 to 4000 miles including bikes being thrown into vehicles and test jockeys ragging them/not giving too much care about them.
Here's an ex demo that has according to the description being used for a single days demo rides, however the wheel rims look like they have been passed around and have noticeable wear and as per the last photo there's a big gouge in the braking surface, but at least the seller has highlighted that, the rest of the bike looks in very tidy condition
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Orro-Gold-Ca ... Sw8oxdDO~8

IMHO if the seller doesn't give good clear photos and doesn't make it much clearer/being more specific as to condition and use then I wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole, it's too much of a gamble buying sight unseen with such non specific description of the individual bike/s. It's a buyers market, there's loads of great value bikes out there.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

At least PMC are showing you the damage.

Ex demo might mean anywhere from photo shoot right through to near ex hire use!!!

Cheers James