Tour of Britain

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Mike Sales

Tour of Britain

Post by Mike Sales »

I'm enjoying watching the ToB, Lovely to see people cycling through our lovely, wet, green lanes. I enjoy the way bikes and pelotons move too. Graceful.
The Tour, Vuelta and Giro give great footage of their countryside.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mjr

Re: Tour of Britain

Post by mjr »

Don't you feel a bit ashamed of our country, watching the Vuelta highlights and seeing so many helicopter shots of half-size roads alongside the roads outside towns, painted with bike symbols as well as centre lines and normal markings, then after that, the Tour of Britain highlights come on and all we have are some pavements with bike symbols added and we don't even stop the grass growing onto those? It looks a disgrace and must deter some cycle tourists from visiting. Our roads lag behind much of Spain and France now as well as the Netherlands and Belgium and we're dropping further behind - soon we will be "hors delai" and eliminated! :(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Mike Sales wrote:I'm enjoying watching the ToB, Lovely to see people cycling through our lovely, wet, green lanes. I enjoy the way bikes and pelotons move too. Graceful.

Have to admit I never watch cycle racing, but being in the centre of Newcastle today thought I'd hang around for an hour to see it. Quite an incredible event, the organisation was superb and the skill of the finish line commentator was incredible - how can anyone talk non stop for an hour on a responsive basis to a fast moving event, in a witty, amusing and informative manner :?:
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Lovely moorland roads at the moment.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

cracking stage today; Trentin must be gutted, he has lost the leader's jersey by one second following Mathieu Van der Poel's blistering attack inside the last few hundred metres. When he kicked, he was pushing out about twice as much power as those trying to follow his wheel; absolutely devastating.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Robzere31

Post by Robzere31 »

Time trial in Pershore is only 20 miles from me, but I'll be stuck at work with zero chance of getting the day off to go along to watch. :(
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Yes, a good stage today and stunning scenery. Plus... no trains!!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Groenwegen on three wins! However at least as significant were the placings; Matthew Walls showed he is a handy sprinter in such company, so I'd expect to see him in a better team next year. Trentin got third place which means a 4s time bonus; enough to put him back in yellow. Cav came tenth; not up to his usual standard but a glimmer of encouragement?

VdP has to be a hot favourite for the TT stage, but who knows?

cheers
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Following a surprisingly close run (between Trentin and VdP) TT yesterday, today saw another stonking ride from VdP; he kicked twice in the final few hundred metres, once to shake off everyone expect Trentin, and again to take the finish. "He lead himself out " one of the commentators said, and that is certainly what it looked like!

Trentin gave him a pat on the back after the finish; you gotta have respect for a rider like VdP who can bury themself like that.

cheers
RickH

Post by RickH »

Brucey wrote:Following a surprisingly close run (between Trentin and VdP) TT yesterday, today saw another stonking ride from VdP; he kicked twice in the final few hundred metres, once to shake off everyone expect Trentin, and again to take the finish. "He lead himself out " one of the commentators said, and that is certainly what it looked like!

Trentin gave him a pat on the back after the finish; you gotta have respect for a rider like VdP who can bury themself like that.

cheers

Trentin's "what can I do to beat him?" gesture as VdP punched the air ahead of him about summed it up. (I've not found an online photo to link to yet.)

William Fotheringhay in the Guardian wrote:... as they passed the 100 metres to go mark, where the gradient eased slightly, Van der Poel gained a second wind, and Trentin slipped backwards with a resigned look. As his Dutch rival punched the air, in the knowledge that he now has a realistic chance of taking the overall title on Saturday, Trentin spread his arms wide in resignation. (link)

Hopefully I'll be at both the start & finish tomorrow to see how it all unfolds. :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Chapeau! to all involved, best ToB I can remember with a good course that stopped it being all down to one thing and kept it in the balance the whole way.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
cotterpins

Post by cotterpins »

"Don't you feel a bit ashamed of our country?"

Not at all. It must have something going for it? When I was a child it only had a population of forty-something million. IT would appear that we are doing something right. After all it' is called Great Britain!