** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
pete75

Re: ** The Brexit Thread ** - 'Brexit Means Brexit'

Post by pete75 »

merseymouth wrote:Hi Al, I agree about the Irish Sea border after a re-uniting of Ireland, should never have been subjected to division! Of course with Irish ancestry I would say that, but nearly 900 years of warring of the land we need to look back at our mistakes, then be big enough to admit it.
Then when we have done that and left the E.U. we should put a stop to he endless succession of HGV's wearing ruts across the country just to save Irish ports from investment? For too long we have been the needless corridor for Irish imports & exports, invest in their own ports & shipping.
Even if we where to remain in the E.U. I would push for those measures. IGICB MM

How is that saving Irish ports?
The same number of lorries have to arrive in and leave Ireland by sea whether they come direct from Europe or via the UK. :roll:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

pete75 wrote:
merseymouth wrote:Hi Al, I agree about the Irish Sea border after a re-uniting of Ireland, should never have been subjected to division! Of course with Irish ancestry I would say that, but nearly 900 years of warring of the land we need to look back at our mistakes, then be big enough to admit it.
Then when we have done that and left the E.U. we should put a stop to he endless succession of HGV's wearing ruts across the country just to save Irish ports from investment? For too long we have been the needless corridor for Irish imports & exports, invest in their own ports & shipping.
Even if we where to remain in the E.U. I would push for those measures. IGICB MM

How is that saving Irish ports?
The same number of lorries have to arrive in and leave Ireland by sea whether they come direct from Europe or via the UK. :roll:

There you go with your "evidence" from things you've read. MM has personal experience to go on. Nowt but a keyboard warrior, you. :wink:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Yes the Irish should never foolishly have left the British Family of Nations.
I see there is talk of returning to the original North only backstop. If I was Boris I would consider a legal challenge to that on the basis of it undermines the GFA & therefore illegal ( I read some time ago and mentioned it here that one of the architects of that was looking at that possibility) Then all you have is Mays Mess backstop that Parliament rejected. That would put a cat amongst the pigeons here and in the EU? The only Brexit with an agreement would be some kind of subservience to the EU in perpetuity?

I agree about we should put a stop to the Uk being a conduit for Irish exports - let them bear the full cost of independance & stop clogging up our roads. Would put a dent in their prosperity?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mercalia wrote:I agree about we should put a stop to the Uk being a conduit for Irish exports - let them bear the full cost of independance & stop clogging up our roads. Would put a dent in their prosperity?

I remember that when the dualling of the A55 along the N.Wales coast was in prospect, that haulage interests were in favour because it would shorten the ferry crossing to Dublin.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

windmiller wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
windmiller wrote:The only decent act that Bercow has performed is to declare his resignation. He is a complete disgrace to the title of "Speaker of the House of Commons".
He broke the cardinal rule of being none biased and manipulated the Brexit debate for his own dubious ends. The sycophantic fawning for the multiple disservices he orchestrated to this country was sickening to behold.

Good riddance!

WHich translates as didn't bend over and let Brexiters force their way through - that was very naughty

Well actually he did bend over many times to the remainers, though I doubt he was forced...blah blah very naughty.

Again translates as did not do what YOU wanted.....
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Of course, the other option is to recognise that Northern Ireland voted 56% to 44% to remain, an undisputable democratic vote to remain. The way forward may be to allow Northern Ireland to join the EU, then we would have two neighbouring states, and solve the border problem.

Then we could allow Scotland where yet again there is an unequivocal democratic mandate to remain (67% remain) to also remain within the EU as a member

Then England can pursue its own agenda.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

mercalia wrote:
I agree about we should put a stop to the Uk being a conduit for Irish exports - let them bear the full cost of independance & stop clogging up our roads. Would put a dent in their prosperity?

And then France and Belgium puta stop to being a conduit for UK exports..... Just where would this childish proposal end?

What do you propose - a ban on lorries using UK roads to travel to/from Ireland? How would, for example, Guiness arrive in the UK? By magic chariots pulled by unicorns?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

pete75 wrote:
mercalia wrote:

And then France and Belgium puta stop to being a conduit for UK exports..... Just where would this childish proposal end?

What do you propose - a ban on lorries using UK roads to travel to/from Ireland? How would, for example, Guiness arrive in the UK? By magic chariots pulled by unicorns?

Guiness comes by the undersea pipeline, of course.

Road Haulage always has costs, some of which are externals, not paid by the user. It might be better to have only one ferry journey, if somewhat longer, and keep traffic off the roads, without being at all chauvinist.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I see Corbyn is back sitting on the fence. Despite the EU continually repeating they wont re-open the Withdrawal Agreement, Corbyn is now saying he'll re-negotiate a "Labour" deal and put it to the electorate.

Fence-sitter in chief.

He's started campaigning now with a commitment to bring utility companies back under public ownership. That will probably alienate quite a number of Conservative leaning Remain voters. He's running away from the middle ground when supposedly the General Election is meant to be about resolving the Brexit issue.

The other day some MP/commentator commented that come General Election Labour would win a landslide were it not for Corbyn. I think whoever it was was right.

Ian
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mike Sales wrote:
pete75 wrote:
mercalia wrote:

Road Haulage always has costs, some of which are externals, not paid by the user. It might be better to have only one ferry journey, if somewhat longer, and keep traffic off the roads, without being at all chauvinist.

who drinks Guiness these days? So its Irish
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

Cunobelin wrote:
windmiller wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
WHich translates as didn't bend over and let Brexiters force their way through - that was very naughty

Well actually he did bend over many times to the remainers, though I doubt he was forced...blah blah very naughty.

Which translates as proof that the raging petulant remainer John Bercow in a position of unbiased authority is not fit for purpose while serving as Speaker of the House.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

windmiller wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:
windmiller wrote:

Which translates as proof that the raging petulant remainer John Bercow in a position of unbiased authority is not fit for purpose while serving as Speaker of the House.

Actually he comes over to me as pretty even and the petulance comes from the benches on his right.
I actually think he believes in Parliament as sovereign and does his best to uphold that.

He is entitled to his personal view of course and one imagines he has had more discussion about Brexit then most.
Yet he remains (no pun etc) seemingly unconvinced by the Leavers poor arguments.
I know that feeling well.

I also think as a Humanist he detests the moral hypocrite Rees Mogg, and I know that feeling well too.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
windmiller wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:

Actually he comes over to me as pretty even and the petulance comes from the benches on his right.
I actually think he believes in Parliament as sovereign and does his best to uphold that.

He is entitled to his personal view of course and one imagines he has had more discussion about Brexit then most.
Yet he remains (no pun etc) seemingly unconvinced by the Leavers poor arguments.
I know that feeling well.

I also think as a Humanist he detests the moral hypocrite Rees Mogg, and I know that feeling well too.

As with most Politics these days, if you are not rabidly pro- Brexit then you are very naughty

What has been forgotten is that MPs, their constituents and Parliament itself is allowed to have opinions, and work for the people who voted for them

The attempt to claim that a General Election is about Brexit only is another classic example to corrupt Democracy
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

mercalia wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
pete75 wrote:

who drinks Guiness these days? So its Irish

A bit like the irony of Tim Martin subsidising a “Chinese”. Beer to promote Brexit
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

windmiller wrote:Which translates as proof that the raging petulant remainer John Bercow in a position of unbiased authority is not fit for purpose while serving as Speaker of the House.
...which translates as proof that any raging petulant brex**iteer you might care to nominate for the chair, would meet with your full approval...

Bercow has, of course, been striving to uphold and maintain the Authority of the House. Nothing more or less than that. It's his job. If the House had shown instead a preference for brex*it, I've no doubt he would have supported it in that cause.

You simply don't like him because he's "not on your side". Can't help you there...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).