Whatever happened to bamboo clothing

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
The utility cyclist

Re: Whatever happened to bamboo clothing

Post by The utility cyclist »

My local tree hugger store sells limited garments, £30ish for a top and about £6-7 for a pair of socks, I was in there last Thursday so prices up to date.
John1054

Post by John1054 »

steady eddy wrote:One of the premium cycle brands made jerseys from it a few years ago, but the reviews weren't good as when you put stuff in the rear pockets the jersey sagged badly.
Presumably it is just too stretchy for cycle jerseys

I found that the socks stretched a lot too. Three pairs all went the same baggy way.
hercule

Post by hercule »

BAM’s catalogue makes much of their clothes as suitable for athletic use, eg running, and even have a few magazine quotes saying how good they are. Certainly very comfortable but sizing erratic; however don’t dare to sweat in them. They hold a massive amount of water. I weighed one top after washing and compared it to a very well used Helly Hansen Lifa thermal. I can’t recall the exact numbers, but the Lifa top weighed an extra 15% wet; the BAM top over 50%. I nearly got hypothermia wearing the top on one long run when it rained. Polypropylene may be bad but mine lasts for years and years. I’ve got a couple of Lifa tops that must be over 20 years old. (I completely lack fashion sense).
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

hercule wrote:BAM’s catalogue makes much of their clothes as suitable for athletic use, eg running, and even have a few magazine quotes saying how good they are. Certainly very comfortable but sizing erratic; however don’t dare to sweat in them. They hold a massive amount of water. I weighed one top after washing and compared it to a very well used Helly Hansen Lifa thermal. I can’t recall the exact numbers, but the Lifa top weighed an extra 15% wet; the BAM top over 50%. I nearly got hypothermia wearing the top on one long run when it rained. Polypropylene may be bad but mine lasts for years and years. I’ve got a couple of Lifa tops that must be over 20 years old. (I completely lack fashion sense).

ha ha ha, I too have lifa tops that must be way over 20 years old.... some from the 80's, they are looking a bit thin but still in use.... I wear quite a few as tend to wear more than one at time as I add layers under my cycle tops.... whenever i buy a new one it is to replace an old one that will be discarded... but somehow never seem to get discarded.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
hercule

Post by hercule »

Actually I was incorrect. HH tops are a fashion statement in the rarified world of fell and hill running. A Lifa top, the bobblier the better, marks one out as a highly experienced fell runner and distinguishes one from the arrivistes :lol:
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Yes, I got caught in rain wearing a BAM top whilst touring in Holland in June and it certainly held a lot of water and I got very cold. Nice to wear in the dry though.