Education

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Education

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Remember Malala?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cugel wrote:....... I was once ever so young and did tend to be elsewhere than doing me homework or writing an essay....... .

I've always seen homework as a preperation for getting people in a mindset that they'll need to work at home without pay later in life,which is something that should be outlawed.
As if children and teenagers don't do enough work at school.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

reohn2 wrote:
Cugel wrote:....... I was once ever so young and did tend to be elsewhere than doing me homework or writing an essay....... .

I've always seen homework as a preperation for getting people in a mindset that they'll need to work at home without pay later in life,which is something that should be outlawed.

Not so sure about that take on things. It’s just my experience but what’s learned in the classroom does need to be digested away from it and preparation for lessons has made them more successful for me. I don’t believe in burdening child or adult learners with homework, but in moderation it does make a positive difference to academic success. Surely preparation and revision are part of the learning process.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Carlton green wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Not so sure about that take on things. It’s just my experience but what’s learned in the classroom does need to be digested away from it and preparation for lessons has made them more successful for me. I don’t believe in burdening child or adult learners with homework, but in moderation it does make a positive difference to academic success. Surely preparation and revision are part of the learning process.

I just think it's training kids up to work longer hours.
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote:I just think it's training kids up to work longer hours.

Schools are trying to turn children into independent learners who can work on their own. They are also trying to get the kids through much more material than they can possibly do in school time. This all means homework. And of course homework generates yet more work for teachers, so they don't set it without good reason.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:

Schools are trying to turn children into independent learners who can work on their own. They are also trying to get the kids through much more material than they can possibly do in school time. This all means homework. And of course homework generates yet more work for teachers, so they don't set it without good reason.

What youre telling me is that there is either there's not enough school hours or enough necessary learning can't be packed into a school day/week/term,so that being the case need to work at home.
IMO there's something qrong with that model.
W H Auden
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

reohn2 wrote:
pwa wrote:

What youre telling me is that there is either there's not enough school hours or enough necessary learning can't be packed into a school day/week/term,so that being the case need to work at home.

If that is what you have heard then I believe that you are mistaken. I see no evidence that it’s about getting kids used to working longer hours. I mentioned further back in the thread that I don’t like excessive homework, but part of the learning process is independently doing things and consolidating information given in lessons.

As a parent I’ve notice that homework is often not done well, is done late and is done in a break time. Focusing children isn’t easy, and they need play time too, but when focusing is done in a sympathetic and caring way it’s a part of lovingly developing your child. When my children left school they were amazed at just how hard University was and when they left University they were amazed that employed work was harder again.
Last edited by Carlton green on 12 Sep 2019, 9:16am, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I used to do my homework on the school bus. Only the reading!
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote:
pwa wrote:

Well if you want kids to keep up with kids in other nations, that's what it takes. And they won't be much use when they go to Uni if they aren't in the habit of home study.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

pwa wrote:Well if you want kids to keep up with kids in other nations, that's what it takes.

And they won't be much use when they go to Uni if they aren't in the habit of home study.

Personally I think that as a Nation we need to both accept that others will overtake us and balance quality of life with academia. Relentless focus on education and the profits produced from it is a race to the bottom, well that’s my perspective. However, I’m also a strong believer in the value of education, a rounded and well informed person is best placed to support them selves and their family and to live a happy life.

Outside of school, and to some extent even in the 6th form, the ability to study at home (ie. outside of the classroom) is a very necessary skill.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

We'll have to agree to differ.
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

For anyone who doesn't know, there are specified target hours that a child is meant to use for homework, and schools are meant to provide work for those hours. Teachers who don't set the required amount of homework get an easier life, but they are deemed by school inspectors to be failing the child. A teacher found to be not supplying and marking enough high quality homework will be labelled "unsatisfactory" in an inspection, and the school's rating will suffer as a consequence.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:For anyone who doesn't know, there are specified target hours that a child is meant to use for homework, and schools are meant to provide work for those hours. Teachers who don't set the required amount of homework get an easier life, but they are deemed by school inspectors to be failing the child. A teacher found to be not supplying and marking enough high quality homework will be labelled "unsatisfactory" in an inspection, and the school's rating will suffer as a consequence.

What are those hours?
And why can't those hours not be incorporated into the school day?
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote:
pwa wrote:For anyone who doesn't know, there are specified target hours that a child is meant to use for homework, and schools are meant to provide work for those hours. Teachers who don't set the required amount of homework get an easier life, but they are deemed by school inspectors to be failing the child. A teacher found to be not supplying and marking enough high quality homework will be labelled "unsatisfactory" in an inspection, and the school's rating will suffer as a consequence.

What are those hours?
And why can't those hours not be incorporated into the school day?

My missus may teach a child for an hour and a half in a week and set another hour's homework to take them on further. That is how kids learn all the stuff they are required to learn. The bit they do at home is meant to be without the distraction of having a class full of kids around them, and it is meant to help them learn to stand on their own two feet when they study. I don't know what the hours of homework are, but they are spelt out to parents when their kids move up to the big school.

While the kids are at home doing their homework my missus is at home doing hers, something she would not be able to do if she were still in school with a class in front of her.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

It's the system,it's flawed.
W H Auden