Not all cyclists are perfect! (head butt pedestrian)

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

Re: Not all cyclists are perfect! (head butt pedestrian)

Post by mercalia »

Oldjohnw wrote:The heading of this article is accurate.
Just saying.

only if you also agree that a mass shooting incident in the USA could be titled

Not all gun owners are perfect (gunman shoots X people ) :roll:
reohn2

Re: Not all cyclists are perfect!

Post by reohn2 »

soapbox wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:It isn't what you see yourself as but what others see you as. They see you ride a bike, you're a cyclist. Once you're a cyclist, you're one of a group. How you see it doesn't alter that viewpoint of others. There's more "others" than there are you or us (whether you believe in "us" or not).

+ 1

+2 sad as that is,though I distance myself from the moron cyclist in the OP and hope he's brought to justice for his actions..
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
hemo

Post by hemo »

The bloke on the bike is a yob/hooligan he needs bringing to justice and locking up to teach him a lesson.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oldjohnw wrote:Oh I agree. But how often do we get all motorists written off as idiots?

Nearly all mortons are illiterate
Try spending some time observing traffic at a STOP sign :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mjr

Post by mjr »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Oh I agree. But how often do we get all motorists written off as idiots?

Nearly all mortons are illiterate
Try spending some time observing traffic at a STOP sign :?

Innumerate or forgetful too. Try seeing how many trigger those flashing speed limit reminder signs.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

The hysterical desire of some to malign "cyclists" is classic here.

If someone commits a crime and gets away on a cycle then "Cyclist" commits a crime. If they getaway in a car, why is it never reported "Motorist" commits crime?

When did you last see "Motorist" burgles/robs/ mugs etc?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cunobelin wrote:The hysterical desire of some to malign "cyclists" is classic here.

If someone commits a crime and gets away on a cycle then "Cyclist" commits a crime. If they getaway in a car, why is it never reported "Motorist" commits crime?

I cant see how you got that message from the news report.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Cunobelin wrote:The hysterical desire of some to defend "cyclists" is classic here.

FTFY!

Seriously though. It's often the case on this site above most other cycling sites I visit where there is a higher rate of hysterical defence of cyclists. I used your wording to describe it because as someone who sees individuals as the ones committing offences not an assigned label I can see and fully accept that people commit offences and sometimes used bikes, cars, Shank's pony or any other mode to get to the location if the offence.

Isn't it time we all learnt to condemn the crime / not jump to a defence when a cyclist it's involved and in the process lose the attitude of concentrating on the transport method in cases like this?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Tangled Metal wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:The hysterical desire of some to defend "cyclists" is classic here.

FTFY!

Seriously though. It's often the case on this site above most other cycling sites I visit where there is a higher rate of hysterical defence of cyclists. I used your wording to describe it because as someone who sees individuals as the ones committing offences not an assigned label I can see and fully accept that people commit offences and sometimes used bikes, cars, Shank's pony or any other mode to get to the location if the offence.

Isn't it time we all learnt to condemn the crime / not jump to a defence when a cyclist it's involved and in the process lose the attitude of concentrating on the transport method in cases like this?

Absolutely, fully and entirely correct!

Modern discourse and it's prompter the newspap seems to consist, these days, entirely of stereotypes and their allocation to some position in a hierarchy of evil/worthless to good/worthy. The classes of stereotype are also few and consequently vast. No one notices that they have huge overlaps (cyclists are nearly all motorists too, for example).

One feels that this dumb discourse is a result of decades of dumb drivel from the mass media channels. Everything is simplified down to something that can be contained in a Sun headline. Everything is couched Yank-style as an instance of goodies vs baddies, winners vs losers, cowboys vs injuns.

Pathetic really.

Worse - we all catch ourselves doing it because of our unavoidable immersion in this Sea of Stereotypes.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyclist jumps a red,nearly knocks someone down,who protests.Then returns and headbutts complainant.
Offence is directly related to hte cyclist's behaviour so in this instance the cyclist(rightly identified as such)is a thug,end of.
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

reohn2 wrote:Cyclist jumps a red,nearly knocks someone down,who protests.Then returns and headbutts complainant.
Offence is directly related to hte cyclist's behaviour so in this instance the cyclist(rightly identified as such)is a thug,end of.

But the employment of the stereotype "cyclist" is implying that "cyclists" as a general class are all thugs. The implication, it's true, is easily made because of the background cultural habit of stereotyping everyone and of demonising some stereotypes in particular (cyclist, in this case).

The point is that the thuggery has little or nothing to do with the cycling other than it's incidental context, in which a probably habitual thug performs his habitual behaviour - behaviour he also performs when a husband, a baker of cakes, a person with brown hair, a man and someone from East Cheam. Are any of those categorisations of relevance to his habitual behaviour as a thug? No, so why mention them.

Alternatively, the stereotypers are correct and all cyclists are potential or actual thugs because cycling induces such behaviour. .....

I am guilty of suggesting that the driver of a motor car is sometimes induced to often poor and aggressive behaviour because of the nature of the car. Some technologies do amplify - or even induce - certain sorts of behaviour. A car in it's modern guise is designed to be too fast, too accelerative and too much of a substitute for testosterone-soaked males to wave about instead of the other thing they would like to wave about.

Is this true of certain bicycles? A case can be made that a certain style of professional racing bike, or MTB for that matter, is like that. People who buy and ride them sometimes find themselves encouraged by the nature of the machine to ride too fast and aggressively in the wrong context (i.e. not-in-a-race).

Is the case in question one of these? Seems unlikely. But it's possible. The devil's in the detail.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Butt-headed cyclist, head-butted ped.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cugel wrote:.......... The devil's in the detail.

Cugel

But the answer in this case is in the CCTV footage, the cyclist was a thug,end of.
W H Auden
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

reohn2 wrote:

Cugel

But the answer in this case is in the CCTV footage, the cyclist was a thug,end of.

The question that I'm asking, though, is: did the thug act thuggish because he was cycling or a cyclist; or was the thug already imbued with thuggery from other causes and just happened to do-a-thug whilst riding a bike, rather than when walking to Weatherspoons to get polatik or riding his horse to the gymkhana where he likes to trample small horsey girls on Shetland ponies?

Cugel
John Maynard Keynes
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cugel wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

Cugel

The question that I'm asking, though, is: did the thug act thuggish because he was cycling or a cyclist; or was the thug already imbued with thuggery from other causes and just happened to do-a-thug whilst riding a bike, rather than when walking to Weatherspoons to get polatik or riding his horse to the gymkhana where he likes to trample small horsey girls on Shetland ponies?

Cugel

The thuggery happened because he was challenged for breaking the law and endangering someone else's health,I therefore conclude he was a thug before,during and more than likely after the incident,bike or none.
W H Auden