John Oliver - Trump and BoJo

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Stradageek

John Oliver - Trump and BoJo

Post by Stradageek »

Ok, so my son put me onto this British American comedian commentator. He is somewhat crude and brash at times (possibly necessary to appeal to an American audience) but some of the clips and insights into both Trump and BoJo are incisive and terrifying. If you have 25 minutes to spare for each video I hope you get as much from them as I did

Of particular interest is Trump running away after being repeatedly challenged on his "Obama tapped the phones in Trump tower" lies.

An in the Boris video, Boris is openly proud about his total bluffery (7mins or so in) and the section where the British Ambassador to Myanmar has to treat him like and ignorant naughty schoolboy is terrifying

Trump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZAPwfrtAFY

Boris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXyO_MC9g3k

Apologies if this is all well known stuff, I gave up watching TV news over 10yrs ago so I may be well behind the times.
mattheus

Re: John Oliver - Trump and BoJo

Post by mattheus »

(I know this is - and will be - discussed in a billion other threads, but this seems like the right place:)

I think it's a big mistake to think Boris and Trump are similar people. A good way to see this is to rewind 10 years - look at their careers then. You may dislike them both, but surely the differences are as plain as day!

The one simple thing is that BoJo has a brain, and the benefit of (arguably) the UK's finest education. Now, you may scoff at this, but if you think he shares the aim of Trump in terms of gaining power on a populist mandate, for his own personal glory, then you are HUGELY underestimating Boris' abilities by considering them comparable to Trump's.

So there!
Last edited by mattheus on 11 Sep 2019, 8:39am, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mattheus wrote:.....I think it's a big mistake to think Boris and Trump are similar people......

It's not so much that,more that they're both hoodlums and their positions of power have the capability of the ruination of their respective countries,and in repect of Trump once again bringing the the world to the brink of war.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

reohn2 wrote:
mattheus wrote:.....I think it's a big mistake to think Boris and Trump are similar people......

It's not so much that,more that they're both hoodlums and their positions of power have the capability of the ruination of their respective countries,and in repect of Trump once again bringing the the world to the brink of war.

I don't understand - how does that relate to Boris' situation (or plans, even)?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mattheus wrote:
reohn2 wrote:

It relates to BoJo because him and Trump neolibralist peas in a pod and BoJo is Trump's poodle,so it follows under him the UK will be Trump's profit playground.
Last edited by reohn2 on 11 Sep 2019, 9:06am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mattheus wrote:I think it's a big mistake to think Boris and Trump are similar people.

Well, they both have eccentric yellow hair styles!
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

reohn2 wrote:
mattheus wrote:
reohn2 wrote:It's not so much that,more that they're both hoodlums and their positions of power have the capability of the ruination of their respective countries,and in repect of Trump once again bringing the the world to the brink of war.

It relates to BoJo because him and Trump neolibralist peas in a pod and BoJo is Trump's poodle,so it follows under him the UK will be Trump's profit playground.

Thankyou for your contribution, caller. Let's go to an ad break ...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mattheus wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
mattheus wrote:

Thankyou for your contribution, caller. Let's go to an ad break ...

You're welcome,hope I haven't taken up too much of your time.......
W H Auden
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

So you say they are "peas in the pod", and yet one has moved himself into a political position so that he can be the other's "poodle";

have I understood your analysis correctly Mr reohn?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Mike Sales wrote:
mattheus wrote:I think it's a big mistake to think Boris and Trump are similar people.

This seems to be the key to it all! I hate to belittle the views of others, but it rather seems like some people dislike Trump-and-Boris, see that they have the same crazy hair, and leap to the absurd conclusion that they are "peas in a pod".

Anyone care to provide contrary evidence, or reasoning?
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mattheus wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:

This seems to be the key to it all! I hate to belittle the views of others, but it rather seems like some people dislike Trump-and-Boris, see that they have the same crazy hair, and leap to the absurd conclusion that they are "peas in a pod".

Anyone care to provide contrary evidence, or reasoning?

Trump likes to think they are similar. He called Piffle "Britain Trump". This is not evidence from a trustworthy source though.
As I pointed out earlier, neither has much concern for marital fidelity or telling the truth.
Both are racist, and happy to appeal to racism to gain votes.
I don't really think I need to give any evidence for these well known facts.

There is something similar in the way they have both alienated sections of their own party, but hung onto, or gained, power because the rest of the party thought that they were vote-winners.
Last edited by Mike Sales on 11 Sep 2019, 4:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mattheus wrote:So you say they are "peas in the pod", and yet one has moved himself into a political position so that he can be the other's "poodle";

have I understood your analysis correctly Mr reohn?

Well if you insist on being formal:-
Mr Mattheus
See Mike Sales' post for similarities
BoJo and the UK won't have much of a choice in the matter if the UK crashes out of the EU,it's what Trump wants for those reasons IMO,obviously on hopes things may change for the better soon
YVMV,and I welcome your opinion on the matter.
W H Auden
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mattheus wrote:(I know this is - and will be - discussed in a billion other threads, but this seems like the right place:)

I think it's a big mistake to think Boris and Trump are similar people. A good way to see this is to rewind 10 years - look at their careers then. You may dislike them both, but surely the differences are as plain as day!

The one simple thing is that BoJo has a brain, and the benefit of (arguably) the UK's finest education. Now, you may scoff at this, but if you think he shares the aim of Trump in terms of gaining power on a populist mandate, for his own personal glory, then you are HUGELY underestimating Boris' abilities by considering them comparable to Trump's.

So there!

Piffle's dodging of Questions in the House and his preference for the questions of carefully chosen members of the public remind one of Trump's dislike of press conferences and use of Twitter.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

One thing for sure, Bogus Johnson is not getting it all his own way.
John