A cyclist and real justice

DaveGos

Re: A cyclist and real justice

Post by DaveGos »

Personally I am not so interested in prison sentences , though he deserves it , they are expensive and do little good . Its the ban that gets me. It should be a life ban in these situations not 18 months , driving is not a human right . If you cannot control yourself it should be a life ban , after all there is still public transport , uber , bikes and electric bikes.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Good,though IMO a very stiff fine in the £1,000's would better have served this creep and his car taken from him.

EDIT:- Davegos is correct about the driving ban though not a lifetime ban but at least three years and resit the driving test before being given the privelidge to drive again on our roads.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

6 months for a brutal assault with a deadly weapon, hardly 'real' justice! :roll:
This just goes to show you how bad things have got when people are celebrating a low sentence term as 'justice'
You might as well ban them for life from driving, that would be a better sentence, instead he got less than for drink driving, pitiful sentence! :twisted:
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I suspect that some here have no concept of what a prison term is like.
John
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Oldjohnw wrote:I suspect that some here have no concept of what a prison term is like.

I know what "tossing the salad" is - does that count?
The utility cyclist

Oldjohnw wrote:I suspect that some here have no concept of what a prison term is like.

Have you been in a low level prison recently? My brother spent some time at her majesty's pleasure including some time in a sizeable adult prison with all sorts in it after he was transferred from a youth offenders, he said it was nothing, this was 30 years ago not the soft buttocked prisons we have now!
But that's not the point.

This scumbag got the lowest possible sentence for such a serious crime, ABH has a max sentence of 5 years but actually it should have been a S20 'wounding with intent' (even if serious injury did not occur) and clearly aggravated, the judge is a weak kneed bag of @@@@ and the CPS are their usual load of poop!
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

The utility cyclist wrote:

Have you been in a low level prison recently? My brother spent some time at her majesty's pleasure including some time in an adult prison after he was transferred from a youth offenders, he said it was nothing, this was 30 years ago not the soft buttocked prisons we have now!
This scumbag got the lowest possible sentence for such a serious crime, ABH has a max sentence of 5 years but actually it should have been a S20 'wounding with intent' (even if serious injury did not occur) and clearly aggravated, the judge is a weak kneed bag of @@@@ and the CPS are their usual load of poop!

Prisons vary I gather, which did your brother sample? Does he have anything to say about the young offenders' prison? I have heard some are rather grisly.
I think few people leave prison better than they entered. Like much government provision I hear that many are too underfunded to provide any activities which might improve felons.
For me, any prison would be a very serious and daunting experience. This man does not sound like an habitual, hardened criminal. My friends and family would be very shocked if I went to prison.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
The utility cyclist

Hull prison, medium security usually for offenders more than 4 year sentences. It's irrelevant though, the sentence was incredibly lenient given the crime, the 15 month driving ban is also a joke :twisted:
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

The utility cyclist wrote:Hull prison, medium security usually for offenders more than 4 year sentences. It's irrelevant though, the sentence was incredibly lenient given the crime, the 15 month driving ban is also a joke :twisted:

Not irrelevant in this sense: revenge is a poor substitute for justice. Putting a loon in a school for loons is not such a good way to achieve reform, either. Even in that fulminating gimmer, recidivism is possible. And, as another has mentioned, there's the cost.

Personally I feel those who are irresponsible need to be taught responsibility. This doesn't happen in the clink but rather in social scenarios where the irresponsible one is forced and encouraged to be responsible, so ....

Five years compulsory working in those institutions wherein those at the end of life, unable to cope mentally & physically (perhaps because run over by a car loon). Daily travel thereto via any mode of transport other than a car. If the offending loon was also well off financially, make him not-so and donate the money to those same institutions.

Perhaps you might consider calming down now and then, which may enable a less emotive mode of consideration concerning means & ways to deal with road rage. Having lock-'em-up rage is not a good state of mind in which to consider these issues perhaps?

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The utility cyclist wrote:

Have you been in a low level prison recently? My brother spent some time at her majesty's pleasure including some time in a sizeable adult prison with all sorts in it after he was transferred from a youth offenders, he said it was nothing, this was 30 years ago not the soft buttocked prisons we have now!

I spent over 20 years until 5 years ago visiting prisons around the UK weekly. I still visit occasionally when called on for some research. I am the only person to have voluntarily spent s night in one incognito to assess them. Almost without exception prisons are intimidating hellholes. Prisons are not soft. They are miserable. And they are failures in that they don't rehabilitate.
John
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Given the driver's age (69) I'd have banned him for life and crushed his 4x4.

I don't actually care what the law says - I equate with assault with a deadly weapon.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
What ee said ^
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Would a gun owner who lost their temper and injured someone with their gun ever get a gun licence again?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
charliepolecat

Post by charliepolecat »

the judge is a weak kneed bag of @@@@ and the CPS are their usual load of poop!

From my observations and read opinions, that seems to be the general view throughout Britain.