Favourite tea shops

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
gaz

Re: Favourite tea shops

Post by gaz »

Mews Brewhouse, Iwade. I was introduced to it a couple of years back and it's become a regular stop when I'm out that way.

Welcoming, easy to park your bike in sight through the windows, outside seating when it's warm. Excellent teas and cakes.
DSC_0001.JPG
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

JohnW wrote:
JohnW wrote:......................One downside-comment though - since the recent alterations, you can't see and watch your bikes from inside the café :roll: :roll: and that's a serious security issue :shock: :shock: . One of the many good points about the place previously was that we could see our bikes from within.

About the Windmills Café - Penistone. When I wrote the above I was commenting on the basis of information given to me by other cyclists, and on the basis of what I could see when I'd dropped by whilst the building works were on-going.

I was wrong. Bikes are still visible from inside the café, parked in the places that I've always parked mine. This isn't a problem. The menu is slightly more expansive than previously. (I said expAnsive!!!!!),

I was there a couple of days ago,not on the bike unfortunately and think the Cafe are missing something.
This sign is on the wall leading to the new entrance:-

Behind the wall to which the sign is attached is the ideal place for bikes!You can see bikes parked in front of the cafe if you're sat on the few tables near the repositioned counter but not from elsewhere.I realise it's hardly the crime capital of Yorkshire up there but it would be nice to at least have a few anchor points if they really insist you leave bikes out front?
Still a decent little stop off though 8)
CyclingGuy

Post by CyclingGuy »

Just wanted to give a shout out to a new cafe that's opened on the outskirts of Basingstoke. It's called 'Teagether' and has been open for just over a month.

We visited the last two Saturdays and the Tea, Coffee and food has been good and the service great. If you're in the area then I can recommend stopping off, the address is - Little Basing, Lychpit, Basingstoke RG24 8TF Easy to find on Google maps. (No website at the moment but they are active on social media so are easy to find / contact.

Neil
Read about my adventures on the British Cycle Quest at: http://www.quest.nwarwick.co.uk
windmiller

Post by windmiller »

I have found the unambiguous test for a favoured tea shop to be the following:
Scones to be served unheated, as heating the scone hides a multitude of sins.
Clotted cream preferably made locally, never ever whipped shaving cream type or genetically modified toothpaste as these constitute a borderline hate crime.
Jam should be homemade.

If all of the above are presented to you on the same plate, then I think you will find everything else is in order and pilgrim peddlar you have indeed arrived in Tea shop Elysium.
ds2005

Post by ds2005 »

Heads up! No longer allowed to stop at Cafe in Longleat.

Over many years I have occasionally cycled through Longleat Safari Park on the approved, but unsigned, cycle routes. Often I have detoured to one of the cafes for coffee and cake, although overpriced it's a nice place to stop.

Until yesterday when I was told that cyclists are no longer served unless they have a day or season ticket.

I emailed to enquire about the change and was told I shouldn't have deviated from the approved route as they have changed their policy.

I have spent a lot of money at Longleat over the years when my children were younger and would probably have spent a lot more with grandchildren. I mentioned this in my email and the reply was "While I am sorry to read that this may cause you not to visit us in the future, there are no current plans to change this policy, and any cyclists that leave the approved routes will be kindly directed back to them."

It is of course their right to do this and we are lucky to at least be able to cycle through the Park.

So, enjoy the ride but don't deviate to the Cafe!
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

West Wales is not full of good cyclists cafes - or many cafes at all. But here's one now sampled three times, including today, which I will recommend to any cycling in the greener parts of The Hinterland.

Ty Cwm Garden Centre with Holly's cafe.

Excellent coffee from the fine Espresso machine; good teas and cold drinks. Proper cakes, scones and light meals. Indoor and outdoor seating & tables. A beautiful spot with lots of plants in the main business of the Garden Centre, with access to the greenhouses and polytunnels where they grow all their own stuff. Wander about.

Good service from friendly folk, including the younger children who enjoy bringing out your tea & cake. They like cyclists and have even hosted 30 in one go from a local cycling holiday organisation.

https://tycwmnursery.co.uk/hollys-cafe/

It's here.
It's here.

On a tiny yellow road after a large hill
On a tiny yellow road after a large hill

Squishy seats as well as table & chairs
Squishy seats as well as table & chairs

Idyllic
Idyllic

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Hesket Newmarket P.O.,north Cumbria.Nice friendly cafe,good grub.The owner went above and beyond when one of our party left his mobile.Fortunately,she knew we were heading to Penrith so got in her car and chased us down.Chapeau madame.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

cyclop wrote:Hesket Newmarket P.O.,north Cumbria.Nice friendly cafe,good grub.The owner went above and beyond when one of our party left his mobile.Fortunately,she knew we were heading to Penrith so got in her car and chased us down.Chapeau madame.

Worth knowing.We're staying in Caldbeck for a change next year 8)
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Heads up for a (probable) tea shop closure.
We were at Spinney Caravans (A50 near Goostrey) a popular coffee stop for all sorts of cyclists for 22 years.
The cafe prop informed us she has been given a months notice to quit by the spinney management. She is fighting her corner but any stay of execution will only be for 12 months.
Seems they want the space back and anyway cyclists do not contribute to the caravan business.
Actually many of us would question that, as campers / caravanners etc., we may pick up bits n pieces, or go back to make purchases when suitably able...
Also the cafe is used by those making large purchases, waiting for vehicles to be serviced (there's not exactly anywhere else to go in the immediate vicinity).

All a bit of a shock and the lady is quite shook up and visibly very upset.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
drossall

Post by drossall »

I don't know the cafe because it's so long since I've ridden round there, but it's such a popular cycling area that it would be a sad loss. Don't suppose it would do any good to go in there like this? (Details.)

99.9%certain

Post by 99.9%certain »

Birkin Fisheries Tea Rooms.Situated just outside the village of Beal between Castleford and Selby.
Currently take-away only.All outdoor seating has been removed but there is plenty of space to sit on the grass by the Lakes.Can get VERY busy at weekends.
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

I can think of a few for various reasons;
The Old Vicarage Tearoom, Tosside. On the B6478 nover from Settle to Slaidburn.Popular with the Stocks Off road crowd.
The Bob In Cafe, New Barns, Arnside. At the end of the lane, carrying on from Redhills road.
Sweets Tea Rooms Cafe, Blakeway. On the B3151 between Wedmore and Westhay. Very popular with cyclists.
Inglesport Cafe, Seed Hill, Ingleton. A hot bed of cyclists, potholers and walkers.
Hazy Dayz cafe Hellifield. On the A 65, Skipton side.
Talybont on Usk Canalside Cafe and Post Office. Get tead up for the climb over Torpantau.
Cobbled corner, Chipping. Hoaching with Lancashite cyclists.
When I first joined CTC, we all got a little loose leaf booklet with a mass of cafes and tea rooms. A couple of cracking cafes that are sorely missed are I think the Yew Tree cafe, on the Wedmore Wells road at Theale. That was like a big front room. There was a cosy Farm House, set back from the Rathmell Wigglesworth road, just past the Horses health pool. Again, that was like a front room.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I've just discovered Spokes at Codicote, near Welwyn. Never knew it was there. Not been in yet mind, so can't claim it as a favourite :D
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

arnsider wrote:..............There was a cosy Farm House, set back from the Rathmell Wigglesworth road, just past the Horses health pool. Again, that was like a front room.

................oh yes, memories, memories.
cyclemad

Post by cyclemad »

Walsingham Barns cafe - North Norfolk...awesome pies and Sunday lunches .....

The Crab Hut Brancaster Staithe North Norfolk...great seafood and great coffee