Does phone case/ phone type define you?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
iandriver

Re: Does phone case/ phone type define you?

Post by iandriver »

More defining is probably have you ditched your wallet in favour of your phone case.

Card slots and an emergency note incase contactless via the phone doesn't work.

In Iceland this year (the country not the supermarket) I never saw local currency. My phone did every single transaction. The case doubles up as a stand for watching TV and movies on the plane and doubles as a wallet with card slots. If you're going to lose it, might as well go the whole hog.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Hobbs1951 wrote:You guys have too much time on your hands, or you're all really shallow !

How can a commodity like a mobile phone say anything about you - does your brand of washing machine; or that you own a dishwasher ?

John.

Oh yes yes!

On the domestic appliance front, nothing but a Miele will do if one is to be thought the knee of a bee. Mind, anyone with a dishwasher is just indicating that they are a lazy slob type person, without the gumption to wash a plate or even their mug mug. Hand washing the dishes is, as we know, a certain sign of an authentic personality, which means that dishwasher owners are all inauthentic. I bet they don't even wear an acceptable pair of jeans (minimum acceptable price £399.99) when doing it! Or use a plate drying rack of the correct configuration, made only of certain rare timbers and given a patina of use.

If I had a prattle box and MI5/BigCorp activity spy, I would clad it in a tough veneer of an exotic timber, such as tambooti or zebrawood, which I would make myself with woodworking tools only from Classic Hand Tools or a-one o' them auctions where lads pay thousands for an ancient Scottish plane. However, as I don't have any kind of prattler (another sign of my perfek authentic personage) the matter is moot.

Now, what kinds of cheese to you habitually eat? And with which wines, employing what cheese knife and wine glass? These matters also have rigorous rules and conventions, falling foul of which is another sure indicator of an inadequate and probably third rate person. Just ask The Borisgraph restaurant critic.

Cugel, trying for an ultimate consumer shallowness award.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

100%JR wrote:IPhone XR in a clear case.
I’ve had iPhones since the first one and they just work.I pass my old phone down to my lad now(was daughter but she’s got her own contact now at Uni)so he has my old iPhone 7s and my older 6s is a spare.
I’ll replace the XR next year and pass this one down.

My apologies - I had to read that twice... "my lad (was daughter)" made me reread
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Cugel wrote:
Hobbs1951 wrote:You guys have too much time on your hands, or you're all really shallow !

How can a commodity like a mobile phone say anything about you - does your brand of washing machine; or that you own a dishwasher ?

John.

Oh yes yes!

On the domestic appliance front, nothing but a Miele will do if one is to be thought the knee of a bee. Mind, anyone with a dishwasher is just indicating that they are a lazy slob type person, without the gumption to wash a plate or even their mug mug. Hand washing the dishes is, as we know, a certain sign of an authentic personality, which means that dishwasher owners are all inauthentic. I bet they don't even wear an acceptable pair of jeans (minimum acceptable price £399.99) when doing it! Or use a plate drying rack of the correct configuration, made only of certain rare timbers and given a patina of use.

If I had a prattle box and MI5/BigCorp activity spy, I would clad it in a tough veneer of an exotic timber, such as tambooti or zebrawood, which I would make myself with woodworking tools only from Classic Hand Tools or a-one o' them auctions where lads pay thousands for an ancient Scottish plane. However, as I don't have any kind of prattler (another sign of my perfek authentic personage) the matter is moot.

Now, what kinds of cheese to you habitually eat? And with which wines, employing what cheese knife and wine glass? These matters also have rigorous rules and conventions, falling foul of which is another sure indicator of an inadequate and probably third rate person. Just ask The Borisgraph restaurant critic.

Cugel, trying for an ultimate consumer shallowness award.

Go over to the handwriting thread I started and talk about stationary because you can buy wooden pens some very nice, wooden fountain pens. I reckon you're a writer with pen and paper type as well as posting on here. It's not really consumerism to buy a good fountain pen, converter and bottle of ink. Much better than a bic with it's disposable plastic nature. I mean I must be the only person to obsess about using a bic until no more ink is left. Most get lost, broken or stolen before they're anywhere close to being emptied.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mercalia wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Always have sim only contract and tend to buy second hand phone. Breaking a long held tradition a couple of months ago I surrendered my windows Nokia as it was increasingly hard to get apps and have a £14 per month Moto. It has an amazing battery life. I also keep a PAYGO old fashioned Nokia which makes calls and texts (the latter with difficulty on an alpha numeric keyboard). It cost me £7.00 about three years ago and I take it as an emergency back-up. The battery lasts a couple of weeks.

I don't use a case: just a cover to protect it. My missus has a beautiful Harris Tweed cover.

Does it define me? Others who know me would need to determine that. I suspect it does say I don't like spending money on fripperies and like function and quality at least as much as form and i pay what I need rather than get expensive for show, My bike is probably the same, as is my car.

Windows 8.1 or 10? & which apps were missing?

I couldn't get OS for a start, and what's app was being removed at year end.
John
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cunobelin wrote:My apologies - I had to read that twice... "my lad (was daughter)" made me reread
It is impossible to make oneself 100% clear and unambiguous on an internet forum, or other social media. I get it wrong too, sometimes. Something we have to live with. There's no body language or voice intonation to lend more meaning to your remark.

Sometimes writing a more long-winded post will help with the ambiguity. As I do. For instance, 100%JR could have written "I pass my old phone down to my lad now (I used to pass them to my daughter but she’s got her own contact now at Uni)". A bit repetitive but I think that was the meaning intended.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
pete75

Post by pete75 »

John.

+1
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Oldjohnw wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Always have sim only contract and tend to buy second hand phone. Breaking a long held tradition a couple of months ago I surrendered my windows Nokia as it was increasingly hard to get apps and have a £14 per month Moto. It has an amazing battery life. I also keep a PAYGO old fashioned Nokia which makes calls and texts (the latter with difficulty on an alpha numeric keyboard). It cost me £7.00 about three years ago and I take it as an emergency back-up. The battery lasts a couple of weeks.

I don't use a case: just a cover to protect it. My missus has a beautiful Harris Tweed cover.

Does it define me? Others who know me would need to determine that. I suspect it does say I don't like spending money on fripperies and like function and quality at least as much as form and i pay what I need rather than get expensive for show, My bike is probably the same, as is my car.

Windows 8.1 or 10? & which apps were missing?

I couldn't get OS for a start, and what's app was being removed at year end.

Whats OS?
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

661-Pete wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:My apologies - I had to read that twice... "my lad (was daughter)" made me reread
It is impossible to make oneself 100% clear and unambiguous on an internet forum, or other social media. I get it wrong too, sometimes. Something we have to live with. There's no body language or voice intonation to lend more meaning to your remark.

Sometimes writing a more long-winded post will help with the ambiguity. As I do. For instance, 100%JR could have written "I pass my old phone down to my lad now (I used to pass them to my daughter but she’s got her own contact now at Uni)". A bit repetitive but I think that was the meaning intended.

That’s exactly how it should read.I was at work and on my phone so I rushed the post!
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mercalia wrote:
Whats OS?

OS = Ordnance Survey
John
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Oldjohnw wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Whats OS?

OS = Ordnance Survey

Shurely shome mishtake as OS is the decipherementation of the TLA for Old Soak.

Now, before you pedant upon this irrefutable fact, I'l just point out that the TLA TLA stands for Two Letter Acronym. There is a controversy about the expansion of TLA, as there is about the correct way to pronounce "controversy" but you may have faith in my contention that I posses only correct facts and never emit an alternative one, unless I feel like it.

As we know, correct use of TLAs, not to mention the right pronunciation of certain words, is a sure sign as to whether one is a member of the better class of persons or only an oik. Now, OIK stands for Obtreporous Ignorant Kid - or so I believe, as I felt the right kind of thrill when I made it up.

Cugel, trying alternative status definition mode variety 7C because bored with yatter about prattle devices.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cugel wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Whats OS?

OS = Ordnance Survey

Now, before you pedant upon this irrefutable fact, I'l just point out that the TLA TLA stands for Two Letter Acronym. There is a controversy about the expansion of TLA, as there is about the correct way to pronounce "controversy" but you may have faith in my contention that I posses only correct facts and never emit an alternative one, unless I feel like it.

As we know, correct use of TLAs, not to mention the right pronunciation of certain words, is a sure sign as to whether one is a member of the better class of persons or only an oik. Now, OIK stands for Obtreporous Ignorant Kid - or so I believe, as I felt the right kind of thrill when I made it up.

Cugel, trying alternative status definition mode variety 7C because bored with yatter about prattle devices.

I'm sure you're right.
John
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Oldjohnw wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Whats OS?

OS = Ordnance Survey

well there is an OpenAndromaps viewer - a free one ( Vectorial Map ) and paid one ( Cartograph ) on Windows phone ( Cartograph only Windows 10 ) that in some ways is better than OS since it has various levels of detail even down to street level and shows lots of tracks. Seems like hikers and the such like like these. You can get various styles that allow you to control what details are presented

If yiou have an Android phone it, Cartograph, is also availabe there. The maps are free and unlike OpenStreetMap are offline.

https://www.openandromaps.org/en. I think they are based on OpenStreetMaps but are very OpenStreetMaps+++

OpenAndroMaps- Cartograph. Windows Mobile screenshot
OpenAndroMaps- Cartograph. Windows Mobile screenshot
Last edited by mercalia on 12 Sep 2019, 1:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mercalia wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
mercalia wrote:
Whats OS?

OS = Ordnance Survey

well there is an OpenAndromaps viewer - a free one ( Vectorial Map ) and paid one ( Cartograph ) on Windows phone ( Cartograph only Windows 10 ) that in some ways is better than OS since it has various levels of detail even down to street level and shows lots of tracks. Seems like hikers and the such like like these. You can get various styles that allow you to control what details are presented

If yiou have an Android phone it is also availabe there. The maps are free and unlike OpenStreetMap are offline.

https://www.openandromaps.org/en. I think they are based on OpenStreetMaps but are very OpenStreetMaps+++

AndroMaps -.jpg

Thanks. I have paid for OSso can download but when renewal time comes I'll look at this.
John
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Cugel wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:OS = Ordnance Survey

I'm sure you're right.

So am I! :-)

Cugel

PS Or maybe not.
John Maynard Keynes