Genesis Longitude sizing

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
audaxer

Genesis Longitude sizing

Post by audaxer »

I'm looking at a Genesis Longitude but they've changed the sizes to S,M,L and a Croix de Fer 52cm fits me like a glove. At 5ft 8in the chart says a medium but I've heard they're very stretched out and the reach/stack of the small is nearest the reach/stack of my CdF. The standover height of the medium is half an inch more than the CdF but the seat tube of the small is almost 4.5in shorter than the CdF which makes me think the seat post is going to be too long and flexible. Would anyone have Genesis Longitude sizing advice?
reohn2

Re: Genesis Longitude sizing

Post by reohn2 »

I bought 2015 Longitude,the geometry is all but the same as the 2018 model only for a 70degree head angle compared with a 68deg for the 2015 model.
I'm 6ft tall and bought a medium as I felt the large was too long in the top tube,mine has 245mm of seatube showing(with 900mm measured from pedal at BDC in line with the seatpost to saddle top) and there's no flex in it with quite a bit of seat post left in the frame.

The 2018 small size has an Effective Toptube length of 591,with a Stand Over at mid toptube of 766.
I'd advise trying out both sizes if possible but I'm be thinking a small is better suited to someone 5ft 8in
Last edited by reohn2 on 11 Nov 2018, 5:27pm, edited 2 times in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
jerg

Post by jerg »

I'm also 6ft and bought a 2017 large one over t'internet without trying one first.

It's a very long reach to the bars (or I'm just old and decrepid). I've changed the standard stem for a 7cms one with a 35 degree angle, which makes things better, but might even go for a 9cms and 35 degrees.

Not sure if that helps you! Best to try one out first if you can.
audaxer

Post by audaxer »

thanks for the replies, really helpful. Most people I read that are 5ft 8in go for the small. Trying out doesn't seem to be an option as no-one seems to keep stock and aren't willing to order two different sized bikes for me to try. Nearest stockist is 200 miles away! Pretty sure the small is the one though.
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

I'm 5'8" and ride a small Longitude..it's perfect!

[ImageIMG_20170916_151323 (1) by hop58, on Flickr*]

Plenty of stand-over and perfect reach for me!
DavyK21

Post by DavyK21 »

Hello guys,

First post here. Looking for some reliable info, because i highly doubt the information given to me by genesis bikes is the correct one.

This is the mail i sent a few days ago:
"Hello, I'm in the market for a new do-it-all bike and found the Longitude model meeting all my requirements. However, I do have a couple of questions before ordering this bike. It seems that none of the Belgian Genesis dealers have a longitude in stock. So a proper bike fitting isn't possible. I'm 5"8 with a 30.5" inseam. Size medium seems about right, except for the stand over height. Would you advise the S model? Also, a less important question: i'm wondering if there will be any changes for the upcoming 2020 model? (technical/colorwise) Kind Regards, Davy"

And this is the answer i got today:

"Hello Davy
No change to the 2020 model as it is carried over from 2019. In regards to sizing I would suggest a large.
Kind regards
Nick

Would you guys choose a size S over size M? L is out of the question.
It's a shame these bikes are so hard to come by here in Belgium, if i could find one i'd prefer to buy a used frameset (2018).

Greetz,
Davy
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Hi welcome to the forum.
I missed this post :oops:
I'm 6ft/1.83m and ride a Medium size,I would definitely not recommend a Large.A Small size would suit you better IMHO.
W H Auden
DavyK21

Post by DavyK21 »

Thanks reohn2!
Riding a L was never an option and i was really surprised they advised me to do so.
The ett,reach and stack of a M frame are looking really good. I have long arms (ape index +5!), so that would be a problem on the S, i think.
Since you have the Medium size, would you be able to tell me the standover height measured right in front of the saddle?
This would help me alot!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mines a medium,in front of the saddle SO is 720mm,mid way along the toptube it's 780mm.
W H Auden
DavyK21

Post by DavyK21 »

8) tnx!

That's exactly what i was looking for. 720mm will do just fine!
How do you like the bike so far?
Are you using the stock handlebar? I'm looking at the confucius bars from alpkit right now.

Greetz
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

DavyK21 wrote:8) tnx!

That's exactly what i was looking for. 720mm will do just fine!
How do you like the bike so far?
Are you using the stock handlebar? I'm looking at the confucius bars from alpkit right now.

Greetz

The bike's an ideal rigid MTB handles very predictably and will handle a load too.Mine is a 2015 model with 29er x 2.4inch tyres which can be ridden with very low tyre pressures(12to15psi front 20to25psi rear).The later models from 2017(?) are 27.5 x 28inch which have an even bigger air chamber* and which I'd prefer TBH
I ride mine with the Geoff bars from Planet X,which are an exact copy of the Jeff Jones loop bars:- https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HBOOGBV2/ ... -handlebar
I find these bars ideal with these grips :- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ESI-XXL-Extr ... ect=mobile

*I've checked Genesis' site and the frame is the same and with the larger section tyres on 27.5 rims SO is the same.
Photos of mine(click on the photos for a larger image):-

20190722_194741.jpg
Attachments
20190722_194810.jpg
W H Auden
DavyK21

Post by DavyK21 »

Wow! :shock:

Great looking bike you have there!
I do prefer the colors of the early longitude's, they seem more appropriate for this kind of bike. I would definitely go for a '17 or '18 frameset if these were available.
Anyway, it's good to hear that both wheel/tyre combinations work well and that the bike handles like it's supposed to. I'm riding 26" hardtails for more than 25 years now, time for a change :wink:
Those bars really are a bargain! Too bad i don't like to ride with that amount of backsweep.
I noticed you've chosen a 3x10? and mechanical disc brakes? A thudbuster seatpost, a high rise stem...must be a comfy ride!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

DavyK21 wrote:Wow! :shock:

Great looking bike you have there!
I do prefer the colors of the early longitude's, they seem more appropriate for this kind of bike. I would definitely go for a '17 or '18 frameset if these were available.
Anyway, it's good to hear that both wheel/tyre combinations work well and that the bike handles like it's supposed to. I'm riding 26" hardtails for more than 25 years now, time for a change :wink:
Those bars really are a bargain! Too bad i don't like to ride with that amount of backsweep.
I noticed you've chosen a 3x10? and mechanical disc brakes? A thudbuster seatpost, a high rise stem...must be a comfy ride!

The 'bars are 'different' but extremely comfortable with a range of very comfortable hand positions.
The more upright riding position gives far more control on rough terrain and surprising good for climbing especially on the longer wheel base of the Longitude,though I have Genesis Vagabond set up the same which is great on 2inch slicks both on and off road.
The LT T/buster is a must for my arthritic back and replaced hip(I'm an old fart)on the real rough stuff :)
W H Auden
DavyK21

Post by DavyK21 »

Well-especially at that price-i might just order the on-one bars as well.
I 've never tried one before but the T-buster makes good sense, 'old fart' or not :D
Now...off to find me a Medium frameset 8)
staffo

Post by staffo »

Which size did you guys go for in the end? I currently have a similar dilemma though I’m smaller at 5’6. I have one bike shop advising a small and another medium. The fella who advised medium is a similar height to me and rides a medium himself. He’s very kindly offered to let me try his bike later this week.