Pedal reflectors

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
ratherbeintobago

Pedal reflectors

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Is there a standard size for these? My TIME Links have shed a reflector…
Brucey

Re: Pedal reflectors

Post by Brucey »

ratherbeintobago wrote:Is there a standard size for these? My TIME Links have shed a reflector…

yes, but not all reflectors use it. The standard mounting is via two 5mm holes that are spaced like toe-clip holes are. However very few reflectors that mount like this are strong enough to withstand unintended contact with your shoe more than a few times, lightly; otherwise they just break rather easily.

If you think you might not have a standard mounting, or can't/won't use one, can you manage a picture of what you have on the other pedal?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ratherbeintobago

There are no bolt holes - looks like a reflector plate slid into the pedal body. I’ll take a photo later.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

ah, OK. Quite a few pedals use this arrangement too. There is a (semi) standard profile for the reflector insert , such that there is a slight step in the insert along each long edge; this allows the insert to be slid in from one end and retained.

Sometimes you are lucky and the inserts in reflector assemblies of this sort

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pedals-cleats/pedal-reflectors-pack-of-4/

have the correct profile and can be fitted to pedals like yours but there is no way of knowing without offering them up or finding inserts with identical numbers on them.

FWIW I have replaced such reflectors with reflective tape. Not within the letter of the law (the reflectors need the appropriate marks on them to be 100% legal) but much better than nothing. After the third or fourth set of inserts had fallen out or been broken, the tape seemed like the best thing.

cheers
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Brucey wrote:ah, OK. Quite a few pedals use this arrangement too. There is a (semi) standard profile for the reflector insert , such that there is a slight step in the insert along each long edge; this allows the insert to be slid in from one end and retained.

Sometimes you are lucky and the inserts in reflector assemblies of this sort

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pedals-cleats/pedal-reflectors-pack-of-4/

have the correct profile and can be fitted to pedals like yours but there is no way of knowing without offering them up or finding inserts with identical numbers on them.

FWIW I have replaced such reflectors with reflective tape. Not within the letter of the law (the reflectors need the appropriate marks on them to be 100% legal) but much better than nothing. After the third or fourth set of inserts had fallen out or been broken, the tape seemed like the best thing.

cheers

I have push in ones like that and they have never fallen out.
Caledonia64

Post by Caledonia64 »

ratherbeintobago wrote:Is there a standard size for these? My TIME Links have shed a reflector…

I have my doubts.... I bought a new German (Ortler) bike and replaced the flat pedals with cage pedals and added toe clips. I could not get the reflectors that came with the bike to stay out in addition to the toe clips (ordered additional relectors from - I think - SJS but it might have been Amazon and the wheel reflectors from SJS). SJS at least had a couple of options, some specific to Cleat/SPD pedals I think, and some more standard sized to Shimano (more expensive). I think I ordered the more budget bog standard pack that had longer botls than those reflectors that came with the bike and nuts too.

I have still to fit them so am cycling illegally, I imagine.

I also had to fit wheel reflectors to the wheels of the new bike, which surprised me (given the stringency of German traffic laws re bikes and visibility) and these were even trickier to get hold of (I think it was them from Amazon but I over ordered so I can fit to all my unreflector-ed wheels on my old, falling-apart bone rattlers, and the csrgo trailer: though I then found the Dutch? Belgian? Cargo trailer did have reflectors, albeit orange).
ratherbeintobago

The other reflectors are stamped ‘Cateye RR-1’, and appear to be the 50x12mm size, which gives me a starting point…
gaz

Post by gaz »

There appear to be a number of sub-sets of RR1
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
ratherbeintobago

It’s RR-1-A I think.
pwa

Post by pwa »

For purely practical purposes, rather than to comply with regulations, reflective ankle bands work as well as any pedal reflector and obviously work with any pedal.

http://respro.com/store/product/ankle-bands

Something like this. Very effective and work with any clothing. Don't tick the daft legal box but I would risk that for the sake of having better kit.
ratherbeintobago

Sorted thanks to the discarded pedal drawer (yes, there is such a thing) in my LBS (Cycle Addicts in Rochdale)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

good work!

FWIW I have picked up two pedal reflectors in the last few days, off the road. They were both Cat Eye RR-1 rather than RR-1A.

cheers
ratherbeintobago

I think RR-1-A is the part number, but the reflector units are stamped RR-1.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

ah that would explain it. The reflectors I have found are both of the sort in which the reflective insert is mounted in a black frame, and the frame originally had two plastic prongs on the back, which would have pushed into toeclip bolt holes. One has no model number on the back and the other has RR-1-SL2 marked on the back. Needless to say neither one has any prongs any more.....

cheers
ratherbeintobago

The RR-1s I’ve come away with today were removed from a bolt-on mount with judicious use of a screwdriver to lever them out.