A positive thread

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
rotavator

Re: A positive thread

Post by rotavator »

Patrickpioneer wrote:This morning on the bike in the rain I seen a hare, a real live hare, I have never seen one before and it just made my day.
Wonder if his name is Hartley ?

One day when I was touring in County Kerry I was caught in a heavy shower and decided to shelter at a ruined farm by the roadside. I sat under a door propped against a wall and after a few minutes a leveret appeared, hopped over to me and sat down beside me until the rain stopped. It was a memorable and magical moment.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Used my bottle dynamo last night, the first time this winter
It creates a lot of drag and reduces the danger of speeding crime
Used lower gears than usual, the gear indicator was showing -1 or even -2
Plus One!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Used my bottle dynamo last night, the first time this winter
It creates a lot of drag and reduces the danger of speeding crime
Used lower gears than usual, the gear indicator was showing -1 or even -2
Plus One!

Shurely shome mishtake as this tale of self-harm belongs in the negative thread. :-)

Incidentally, I could suggest several other aboard-a-bike procedures that result in a generally degraded and toilsome ride. I charge only £99.98 per procedure-sheet, which sheets do self-destruct after an eye has passed over them, for copyright reasons. This purchase and need to avoid the burning sheet will all add to your masochistic pleasures.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
mjr

Post by mjr »

I'm looking forwards to tomorrow's "Holland hundred" ride from King's Lynn around south Lincolnshire. I think I missed the last two years through travel and illness. The forecast looks OK with a wind moving from SSW to WSW which is almost as good as it could be, as the Boston-Spalding leg which will be full headwind is the shortest one.

I've done two hundreds this summer already. One to Norwich and back and one from London to Lynn. The Norwich one is a pretty good route now of cycleways and quietish but direct roads that are fairly fast for bikes (but narrow enough that motorists must slow). I'm keen to repeat the London one because the infrastructure is always improving (looking forward to more CS1 into Enfield) and I don't think we've perfected the route yet. It is a challenge because the first 40 miles getting out of London and Herts take as long as the next 70!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mjr wrote:I'm looking forwards to tomorrow's "Holland hundred" ride from King's Lynn around south Lincolnshire.

What's the route?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mike Sales wrote:
mjr wrote:I'm looking forwards to tomorrow's "Holland hundred" ride from King's Lynn around south Lincolnshire.

What's the route?

In short: Lynnsport, route 1 (using the Walks and Millfleet to bypass the cycling ban) to route K9, then Guy's Head, Holbeach St Matthew, route 1 into Boston, then Wyberton, Wigtoft, Gosberton, Surfleet, Pinchbeck, Spalding, Clay Lake, Holbeach St Johns, Gorefield, Wisbech, Walton Highway, Terrington St John, Lord's Bridge, Islington, St German's, Saddlebow, route 1 back to Lynnsport. In detail https://cycle.travel/map/journey/116641
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mjr wrote:"Holland hundred" ride

Thanks. I wish that I could pedal out on the route. It's too far in my present decrepit state.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Out early this morning on the bike and it was cold and windy but the sound of the wind in the trees is wonderful, just blooming wonderful
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I do love the gloaming, the half-light late and early
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

'May I work a bit longer tomorrow?', I bleated
My colleague understood immediately
'Sure, you may go a bit earlier today if you wish!', she countered :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There is a big show of big motors in Frankfurt/Main, Germany, Minus One
Cyclists and others plan to protest, 20 000 people are expected
At a press conference the journalists were only interested in the protest, there were no questions about the vehicles, Plus One!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

A plan for CTC world domination is mentioned elsewhere, my plan is to take over A Positive Thread :wink:
Got up early in the dark today Sunday to cycle to a little church, stopped at a couple of bookswap stations in the way home, did 28 km but felt tired and smug as if I had done a century
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:A plan for CTC world domination is mentioned elsewhere, my plan is to take over A Positive Thread :wink:
Got up early in the dark today Sunday to cycle to a little church, stopped at a couple of bookswap stations in the way home, did 28 km but felt tired and smug as if I had done a century

Failed!

Builders finished work on my kitchen and bathroom last week - yay!

This meant that I could empty the garden shed - aka cupboard - and start to move stuff back into my garage, which I'd cleared to allow for storage of building materials/tools etc.

Which means I can now get at my bike! - double YAY YAY in capital letters :D :D :D
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

rmurphy195 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:A plan for CTC world domination is mentioned elsewhere, my plan is to take over A Positive Thread :wink:

Failed!

Thread domination? Try to stop me! (please) :wink:
Had a queer positive experience yesterday, wanted to cycle to work, my back tyre was flat, I pumped it up a bit, took my other bike
When I got home the tyre was not flat, I think somehow the valve had loosened
I must read about the psychological problems caused by punctures described elsewhere on these fora :?
Pumping the tyre up and going for a short ride today :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Been cycling to work beside the road because the canal path was unrideable, except at 5 kmh, too slow even for me

Yesterday discovered that it had been improved, nobody had told me, Plus One! Going that way every time now :wink: