Vango Banshee 200 pro max

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
eskinuz

Vango Banshee 200 pro max

Post by eskinuz »

Hello,

Got my new Vango Banshee 200 max pro.
I need this tent for single tours with my bicyle.

Yesterday I've built up this tent went inside, I am impressed by the space and then functionality even the weight is at 3kg.

My wife put the hosepipe on the tent specially on the zips.

After some minutes the zips getting wet from the inner side and you can see that the water is running to the bottom.

Ok this is not a real rainy condition but...

My question is how to deal with this situation? Sending the tent back or other proposals or experiences?

Thanks a lot.

Regards
Onur Demir
Sweep

Re: Vango Banshee 200 pro max

Post by Sweep »

No it's not a realistic (ie too demanding) test at all as far as I can see.

Am willing to be contradicted by more experienced folk (plenty on here)

If these zips are external, aren't they covered by flaps?
Sweep
meejozzz

Post by meejozzz »

Can’t speak for method of your waterproofing test but I can confirm that our 5000 HH Vango 200 tents (Banshee, Zenith & Tempest models) all withstood monsoon conditions on a cycle tour around the continent 2 years back. Of course, any tent can suffer from a bad day at the production plant.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I have never seen a formally waterproof zip on a tent door. This isn't because anyone's taking short cuts, but because it's a non-issue. In practice, the fabric around the zip teeth will soak up water, which will run down to the bottom of the zip and drip off there. If you water directly with a hose you may get the odd drip falling inside, maybe even on to the inner, but unless it's a mesh inner the inner can comfortably deal with the odd drip.

Some (but by no means all) tents have a storm-flap over the zips to minimise even that, but my go-to tent for years (a Spacepacker) had 4 exposed door zips, saw lots of rain and it never really caused problems than a few drips landing in the porch space.

Formally waterproof zips are relatively heavy, stiff and expensive. I'd much rather spend the money (probably less money!) on a good coil zip (which is why most decent tents use YKK 10 or 8 coil zips).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
hamster

Post by hamster »

I've never had an issue with water leakage on zips - the worst case is that it runs down the length of the zip and drips off at the bottom.
A hose isn't a realistic test as rain simply isn't like that.
horizon

Post by horizon »

I've recently bought yet another Vango, the Helix 200, for unchallenging summer conditions. I'm presuming the "pro max" bit of the Banshee name suggests that it is better specc'd and for worse conditions than the Helix. But I have to say that I'm very impressed with Vango. Theirs are budget tents nicely designed with plenty of clever touches throughout. The main zip is covered by a velcro'ed flap. I would say to the OP, use it (a lot) and see you it gets on - my guess is that it will be fine and certainly no worse than similar tents.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
eskinuz

Post by eskinuz »

Hello,

Thanks all for fast response.

@Sweetp, Yes, it has flaps.

I will keep the tent and and will test it the next weeks in real conditions.

Regards
Onur
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

eskinuz wrote:Hello,

Regards
Onur

If it rains!
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Regards
Onur

Thanks for reporting back.

Was the water directed under the flaps?

I too rate Vango.

Not bad tents for the price.
Sweep
eskinuz

Post by eskinuz »

Should be over the flaps but I was inside the tent so don’t know how my wife held the hosepipe.
The water is very strong in this short distance so the flap moved for sure.

I will test in rainy conditions and give feedback.

Regards
Onur
eskinuz

Post by eskinuz »

Hi,

So this Sunday it rained including hails.
No problems with the tent. Absolut dry.

I am really happy with this tent.
You have enough place in it.

Bye

Onur
Caledonia64

Post by Caledonia64 »

Regards
Onur

If you really want to proof the zips, I would think on rubbing dubbin on the fabric of the zips but that could clog the zips themselves, make it heavier/claggy, possibly iinvalidate the warranty and maybe degrage the actual fabric.

I have never had a problem with any Vango tent and adverse weather although admittedly the Vango I have so far is a 3/4 season Hydra... actually no, my son was bought a Vango Venture 250 tent wiith a hh of 3000mm for the fly (can't find specs for the groundsheet, and I think it is listed as 1/2 season) for a weekend's teenage wild camping in NE Scotland, where it raiined very heavily, and he and his gear remained dry. It took two days to dry the tent when it came home (all stuffed into the stuffsack...I had to detach inner and outer to get them dry.. it iis voluminous). I sent him with an additiional groundsheet but that was not used with the tent.

So it surviived two days near-solid downpour at56° 55' 0" N, 2° 21' 0" W at 120m altiitude in July wiithout leaking. The Hydra has survived worse, in late Autumn near Callander (more southerly but inland and higher altitude).

I had a six person "contiinental" tent at one time, which I gave away once we did not need it: I cannot remember the make (Coleman? or was it Wild Rover) that in a bit of typical bad weather in late September, blew into Loch Lomond, at the Forestry Commission campsite at the shore, (yes it was properly pitched, storm crossed) and tore/poles broke (I had it repaired/new pole). It was also a bit wobbly camping in late August in Braemar (just wind).

Vango are affordable and not perhaps considered top of the range (or in receipt the best of best reviews in more global tent reviews, inasmuch as they are not chosen to be reviewed, perhaps); I do not know how widely they are sold outside Scotland or the rUK, but for all I have posted asking Vango or Vaude, it would take a lot and a world class rep ----like Vaude or Big Agnes --- for me to consider any other make. Plus they are made in Scotland or at least are a Scottiish firm.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Caledonia64 wrote:Vango are affordable and not perhaps considered top of the range ...

They are not only affordable but IME very well designed, reliable and robust enough for Scottish conditions. Probably not 'sexy' or fashionable enough for a lot of people but they would always be my first choice.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Caledonia64 wrote: If you really want to proof the zips, I would think on rubbing dubbin on the fabric of the zips but that could clog the zips themselves, make it heavier/claggy, possibly iinvalidate the warranty and maybe degrage the actual fabric.

I would think that would be a very horrible mess. Does anyone use dubbin any more? For boots, I switched over to Nikwax over 35 years ago.

If you really want to proof zips use something like spray-on TX Direct Spray-On, but I really wouldn't bother.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
horizon

Post by horizon »

LollyKat wrote:
Caledonia64 wrote:Vango are affordable and not perhaps considered top of the range ...

They are not only affordable but IME very well designed, reliable and robust enough for Scottish conditions. Probably not 'sexy' or fashionable enough for a lot of people but they would always be my first choice.

+1 They're "proper" tents but well designed at a good price - they would be my first recommendation until you start going upscale.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher