Harmful 'phone calls

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
simonhill

Re: Harmful 'phone calls

Post by simonhill »

Carlton green wrote:
My Mother-in-Law had a habit of talking to callers and despite thinking herself streetwise she still got tricked out of some money and ended up buying things that she didn’t need.

Beyond swiftly getting rid of them never engage with unexpected callers. Even if you know that they’re a con’ artist you gain nothing substantial from engaging with them, you waste your own time, you risk still being sucked in by them and you give them the opportunity to sharpen their skills.

I agree. The best thing is to hang up asap. Some of these guys like smart asses stringing them along because thy can glean tiny bits of information. Lots of tiny bits can add up to enough to make a plausible sting. They also get to know that you are a talker and that information is sometimes passed on or re-used. Why risk it.

I've learnt from travelling that most con men are better at whatever it is than I am. Its often the ones who think they are streetwise that get ripped off - because it couldn't happen to them! My advice is say no, hang up, walk away, etc.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

I had the "disconnection from BT" call recently. I remembered the advice about not saying 'yes' in case it's being recorded, so I just responded to each explanation and warning with "You don't say." After saying it three or four times I hung up, then when somebody asked who it was, I replied they didn't say.

That's the beauty of old jokes, even when they're not very funny they come in handy eventually.

mercalia wrote:You should tell them you are a Satanist or a Witch/Warlock :twisted: and give them "the evil eye" - see them cross themselves and get their cross out :evil:
I'd be amazed if I saw a JW get a cross out, they're the only Christian group I know that don't believe there ever was a cross. At least they were, it's years since I read any of their literature.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonhill wrote:.....
I agree. The best thing is to hang up asap. Some of these guys like smart asses stringing them along because thy can glean tiny bits of information. Lots of tiny bits can add up to enough to make a plausible sting. They also get to know that you are a talker and that information is sometimes passed on or re-used. Why risk it......

I used to say "interesting ... hang on whilst I get the dog back indoors" then just leave the phone on the table, maybe every few minutes pick it up and say "wont be a moment". Give out no info (if they want to assume I've got a dog then fine but I don't have one).

Ian
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Pastychomper wrote:
I had the "disconnection from BT" call recently. I remembered the advice about not saying 'yes' in case it's being recorded, so I just responded to each explanation and warning with "You don't say." After saying it three or four times I hung up, then when somebody asked who it was, I replied they didn't say.

They In-laws often get the (false) calls about being cut off from BT and other services. My Mother-in-law used to chat to these people and, I believe, that resulted in their number being placed on a ‘suckers list’. I’ve not heard the comment (useful IMHO) about not saying yes to anything in case it’s being recorded, I suppose that such people have all types of tricks up their sleeve ... best to disengage with then. Maybe disengage with: “I think you must have the wrong number ‘cause we don’t use BT (or whatever other service is supposed to be calling), goodbye”; ‘obviously’ you don’t give them any other details.
Last edited by Carlton green on 13 Sep 2019, 4:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Haven't had a landline plugged in for years :mrgreen:
On my Mobile I have an App called Truecaller.It basically displays the companies business under the number.You can also report numbers for future reference/other users.
Had to laugh when it rang the other day and it said PPI W@****s under the number.It appears that if you report a number you are free to put what you like in the comments box :lol:
John1054

Post by John1054 »

We invested in a BT Call Guardian 'phone - no more nuisance calls! The best bit for me is that we also have a basic 'phone in case of power cuts. It always gives one ring whilst the Call Guardian deals with the nuisance calls, then nothing! We win again :D
Debs

Post by Debs »

NUKe wrote:“Hello this is Microsoft, we have detected a leak in your internet, we are going to turn it off.”
“Hello this BT, “
These two lines always tell me we are going to have fun.
Always play the doddering idiot with the really slow computer.
Conversation starts
“We have seen a problem with your internet. “
“Oh that’s terrible what do you need to do “
make a cup of tea pretending to switch on my imaginary computer it’s windows 97 if they ask . Can you start your Browser?
What is that ?
You can usually get them to list of internet browsers. Then tell them yours is Netscape. By this point they are hooked and you can real them in. They’re exited , another 5 minutes can be wasted pretending to type in there website. Or they might ask for details such as IP address can usually make something up.

Keep meaning to build a virtual machine on Linux then I can keep them going even longer.

That's a good plan, well done for staying cool. [ i just want to throttle the scamming git ]

<>

A couple of weeks ago i had one.

"Ring! Ring" ... "Ring Ring" ...
[ a young man speaks to me in poor English in maybe a Chinese accent]

Hello this BT, we have found a problem with your internet, Have you problem with slow internet?

Hi there, yes it has been so slow, thanks for pointing it out to me

Are you on your computer now?

No i'm on the telephone with a scammer.

Are you with computer, it turned on now?

Yes, it's here with me all ready to go!

Can you go to this website...?

It's okay, thanks for pointing out my slow internet, i'll get on the phone to BT about it.

No we BT, you talk to me about slow internet, or you cut off later today.

I don't want to talk to you about it because you're obviously a nasty scammer

No we BT, you may lose internet get cut off, i here to help you

Have you ever thought of getting an honest job?
You obviously aren't any good at doing telephone scam robbery.

No you listen, we BT, i help you with keep internet, you have problem.

No you listen to me you nasty f---wit scammer, me no talk to you bad boy

You no insult me, you in trouble could lose your internet connection.

Do you want my internet banking details, steal my money like the nasty scamming bar steward you are?

No! You no allow to insult me, you wrong, you not do that

Okay, you can F--- Off now... [ i put the phone down ]
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

My approach has always to put on a false Indian accent and ask them for their order. This usually makes them put the phone down pronto.

It was the same when I was working, when they rang asking to speak to the the Managing Director. We always said thats Mr Singh and he is in the kitchen because we have too many takeaway orders, I'll just go and get him.. then put them on hold. They all ring off almost immediately.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pete75

Post by pete75 »

My approach has always been to immediately end the call. Why bother to do anything else?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pete75 wrote:My approach has always been to immediately end the call. Why bother to do anything else?

I used to find just hanging-up and you get another call a few days later and again a few days later. Ideally I think to try and do something to stop them calling again. My best solution so far has been to leave the landline unplugged. But some do call mobiles though I've not suffered badly from that (yet). Maybe it gets more expensive as I think a proportion of these calls come from overseas and hence they can't be bothered about TPS (and they spoof UK numbers).

Ian
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

pete75 wrote:My approach has always been to immediately end the call. Why bother to do anything else?

The longer you can string them along, the less time they have available to try on the scam with victims who are more vulnerable than you.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Serves no purpose but amuses me..."press 1 to talk to..."...."press 2 to *^*" off you robbing m*$&^%*^*"*"!" Or if "live" and sound UK "I will find you and break your ...."
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Whatabout chuggers, how should one deal with them?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Whatabout chuggers, how should one deal with them?

I don't get approached by them but aren't there specific laws or regulations covering them now (wasn't there some sort of scandal or outcry a few years ago?) Or am I having a "senior moment" ...

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Psamathe wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Whatabout chuggers, how should one deal with them?

I don't get approached by them but aren't there specific laws or regulations covering them now (wasn't there some sort of scandal or outcry a few years ago?) Or am I having a "senior moment" ...

Ian

I worked as a chugger, would have approached anyone, talked to a few thousand people, signed up about a thousand
Why do they not approach you?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies