Newbie headset question

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Paulchef

Newbie headset question

Post by Paulchef »

Excuse my ignorance, I bought a giant nrs2 frame, I’ve purchased new forks but I’m a bit stuck as to what I need to fit them correctly. There’s a bearing in each end of the steerer tube and it came with a rubber dust cap which states cartridge system inside but no centre cap with a Allen bolt to hold the forks in place. I’ve also seen on YouTube a crown race fitted to forks before assembly my forks are 1 1/8 or 28mm but do flare slightly at the bottom to 30mm any help much appreciated
tempsperdu

Re: Newbie headset question

Post by tempsperdu »

Find your way over to the Hope website.
Lots of diagrams and explanations of how things go together.
You will need to be able to interpret the information or it could be a trip to the lbs.
https://www.hopetech.com/_repository/1/ ... 011Web.pdf
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Buy a new headset for a Giant nrs2, like from a Giant dealer and not from Mr Bikepart Seller.

1/ Fit the collet (sometimes split) on which the lower cartridge bearing sits onto your new fork. If it doesn't fit, you bought the wrong fork.

2/ Fit upper and lower cartridge bearings into your frame.

3/ Speak to someone who an then cut the fork steerer down to a size suitable for you, like Mr Bikeshop Person.
I should coco.
Paulchef

Post by Paulchef »

Thanks guys
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW the 30.0mm steerer diameter where the crown race locates is standard. The crown race needs to work with the lower headset bearings. IIRC the correct crown race for use with most NRS models has an additional dust shield.

The bung and the top cap parts are easily bought separately. The bung size needs to match the bore of the steerer, which varies with steerer material and design.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~