How Old is Your Trangia ..

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jb

Re: How Old is Your Trangia ..

Post by jb »

drossall wrote:
jb wrote:Great when combined with a Primus stove as you needed to carry pans & meths anyway.

My Primus dates from the late 70s. Actually it's a Hippolita imitation, because I was an impoverished schoolboy who couldn't afford the real thing. Although various parts have since been replaced with genuine Primus ones :D

My Trangia is much more recent.

Mine was actually an Optimus, :) but I've upgraded to a Primus now. Great for impromptu brews when out wit tother half in the jallopy.
Cheers
J Bro
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

landsurfer wrote:Mine is used for touring and camping ....
And a trip to the beach with the kids on a Sunday morning ....
A Trangia, some sausages, and a few slices of bread, cooked on the groyne, is an adventure for children ....
Beans and sausages from a tin, cooked on the hill, turns a walk into adventure for them ...

Trangia makes it easy ....

: )
Well remember on a ride birmingham to london passing a family on a picnic table frying bacon on a trangia. Smelled so delicious i considered trying to beg some. Seemed a wonderful simple day out for the kids.
Sweep
jb

Post by jb »

once you'd deployed the flame reducing control it was a brave man that could take it off again. :)
Cheers
J Bro
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

jb wrote:once you'd deployed the flame reducing control it was a brave man that could take it off again. :)

I acquired the knack of using the plier like pan handle for that very reason ... :)
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Fry up in a bus shelter with some cycling pals, an assortment of Trangias and a primus in the corner. We'd eaten the food before we got the camera out!
67871533_2959424554281690_644621788801662976_o.jpg
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I still have and occasionally use the Primus 96 I bought in 1973. So much more interesting than the Trangia!

RFS-153457.jpg

From the Rough Stuff Fellowship archive
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Yes a Primus can definitely be interesting! This one dates from 1931 and can be a little temperamental!

flames!.JPG
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I bought mine in 1982 in advance of my first cycle tour. It was £16 I think.
I haven't used it for cycle touring for some years, I've replaced it with a series of gas burners, wheich are much smaller and lighter. The Trangia was always a bit big for one! But it and the kettle, bought much later when I got into motorcycle touring, are now doing sterling work brewing me tea at the allotment. I gave up using meths (!) when I discovered alcool de bruler when travelling in France. Doesn't soot up the pans nearly as much, and smells much nicer. Now I have several bottle of bio-ethanol which will keep me in cuppas for quite some time.
Can't beat it for simplicity, but the thing itself plus pans and wind shield plus the fuel are just too big now.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

pedalsheep wrote:Yes a Primus can definitely be interesting! This one dates from 1931 and can be a little temperamental!

flames!.JPG

FWIW if the stove does that often, it may indicate that the vaporiser is missing a part. Most Primus stoves have a bundle of wire mesh inside the vaporiser nozzle; this can easy fall out, and without it the stove will be more prone to flare-ups.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Brucey wrote:
pedalsheep wrote:Yes a Primus can definitely be interesting! This one dates from 1931 and can be a little temperamental!

flames!.JPG

FWIW if the stove does that often, it may indicate that the vaporiser is missing a part. Most Primus stoves have a bundle of wire mesh inside the vaporiser nozzle; this can easy fall out, and without it the stove will be more prone to flare-ups.

cheers

Thanks Brucey but the wire mesh is in place. I think that was just a case of inadequate priming and too much wind.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

pedalsheep wrote:.... too much wind.

and that was before the sausage and beans.... :wink: ....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
soapbox

Post by soapbox »

I've also got one from the early 80s -but I couldn't say which year. I think I've used mine more for camping in the fells/walking, because it's so good in winds and so reliable. The only problem with it is when it once blew up in my face after I'd stupidly used the lid to put the flame out. I was OK, but it singed all my hair and eyebrows. The smell was horrible.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Brucey wrote:
pedalsheep wrote:.... too much wind.

and that was before the sausage and beans.... :wink: ....

cheers

:lol: :lol:
Labrat

Post by Labrat »

1989 for my Trangia I think

The Swedish army one I bought a few years ago for £12.00 brand new is useful too, lives in the car most of the time.

Has anyone gone over to burning bioethanol gel in the original burner?
Invicta Tourist

Post by Invicta Tourist »

I use this Trangia when I am camping at a single location and touring the area. I'm guessing it might be a 1970's model. Does anyone know for sure? I bought it secondhand about 15 years ago.
Attachments
20190915_154617-1032x581a.jpg
20190915_154822-1032x581b.jpg