...the best UK place to live for cycling

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mike Sales

Re: ...the best UK place to live for cycling

Post by Mike Sales »

mjr wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:I am getting the impression that there is quite a lot of the country which is good for cycling.

Er, no, that's a mistaken impression. If you visit neighbouring countries, you'll soon realise "best UK place to live for cycling" is a milder form of a title like "prettiest active open cast mine".

I must be hallucinating then, because over the years I have enjoyed many miles of happy riding, in beautiful countryside and mountains. Or I thought so.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

London as there are so many places to visit. knooks and cranies of previous villages now incorporated into the sprawl and you get free travel on the trains and tubes, so can take your bike closer to places. Prettly countryside maybe good to look at but how many times do you want to visit the same place or same road? I used to live in East Anglia and in the end got bored moved over to m/cling
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Wolds and Bowland are nice enough, we often do day rides in both....but I would think you could cover the best bits of either in a week.
It would have to be Eden valley for me. Striking distance of Lakes, Dales, Howgills, Pennines, and for winter (or decrepitude) miles of deserted lanes in the valley itself. Scottish Borders pretty near, too.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Mike Sales wrote:
mjr wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:I am getting the impression that there is quite a lot of the country which is good for cycling.

Er, no, that's a mistaken impression. If you visit neighbouring countries, you'll soon realise "best UK place to live for cycling" is a milder form of a title like "prettiest active open cast mine".

I must be hallucinating then, because over the years I have enjoyed many miles of happy riding, in beautiful countryside and mountains. Or I thought so.

Time to get "on message"!

You're a cyclist, so because of the motor car obsessed government we are oppressed minority. As such we are not allowed to enjoy cycling as that implies "the message" isn't as the cycling Kommissars say it is.

You will be rounded up in the next purge and sent for re-education. :wink:
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

531colin wrote:Wolds and Bowland are nice enough, we often do day rides in both....but I would think you could cover the best bits of either in a week.
It would have to be Eden valley for me. Striking distance of Lakes, Dales, Howgills, Pennines, and for winter (or decrepitude) miles of deserted lanes in the valley itself. Scottish Borders pretty near, too.

Bowland leads on to Lune valley, east towards the pennines and other nice places. It might be a small area but surrounding it there's nice places to go.

I'd base myself Lancaster side then you've always got the m6 to get anywhere by car or Lancaster mainline station for trains.

Eden valley in Cumbria do you mean?
Avspider

Post by Avspider »

Have you thought about the New Forest area? on-road, off-road, pubs, villages, bike shops all around the area.
Btwin 540 commuter
BMC Granfondo 02
Venge pro disc CLX64 :D
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Tangled Metal wrote:Time to get "on message"!

You're a cyclist, so because of the motor car obsessed government we are oppressed minority. As such we are not allowed to enjoy cycling as that implies "the message" isn't as the cycling Kommissars say it is.

I quite agree that we get a rather worse deal than cyclists in some other countries, and that in spite of all the guff from the authorities about encouraging cycling, they do the reverse.
Nevertheless cycling can still be an ecstatic experience in our beautiful country, it cannot be spoilt by the government.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The Chilterns where I just had to move from. Lots of woodland, lots of open countryside, 4500 footpaths, hundreds of bridleways, wonderful pubs in small villages, great market towns. Very convenient for cities of Reading and Oxford, Heathrow and the West End. Just over an hour to the South Coast and the Cotswolds. Attracts lots of cyclists and ramblers at weekends but wonderfully peaceful in the week with very few cars on the miriad of lanes. Everything you ask for. Downside might be expensive housing. I would swap the Chilterns for Devon where I now have to be any time.

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 17 Sep 2019, 11:33am, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mike Sales wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:Time to get "on message"!

I quite agree that we get a rather worse deal than cyclists in some other countries, and that in spite of all the guff from the authorities about encouraging cycling, they do the reverse.
Nevertheless cycling can still be an ecstatic experience in our beautiful country, it cannot be spoilt by the government.

Or as I often say, cycling is popular here despite the government, rather than supported by it! That's not the case in some countries!

Yes, there are stunning bike rides in the UK at low risk of being spoiled by motorists, but it is a big leap from that to "a lot of the country which is good for cycling." You are rarely more than a few miles from having to ride in needlessly hazardous situations in most of the UK, even in "the best UK place to live for cycling".
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Maybe copy what some AMerican retirees do - sell up and buy a big motor home then travel around? You can then see all the places the UK has to offer?
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

531colin wrote:Wolds and Bowland are nice enough, we often do day rides in both....but I would think you could cover the best bits of either in a week.

Fully agree, great cycling in Eden valley with flat routes and hilly options according to taste. Good rail links, great food even the MP is relatively credible for a Tory (Rory Stewart). As long as the river stays in its banks you can't go wrong. Oh, and its cheap.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I think that until you know what is your budget for a house it'll be very difficult.
The New Forest area and around the Test valley is very good for cycling with some quieter routes, but property in both these areas is very costly.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Penrith area would also fit your criteria ,rides in all directions,views to die for;I still ride often from Rheged,meeting some cycling pals who are scattered to the four winds(I live in dalbeattie,kirkudbrightshire or dumfriesshire or dumfries and galloway,take your pick.)
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

David9694 wrote:One day my wife and I are going to retire to dream house, somewhere in the uk. If cycling, on and off road was the only consideration, where would you choose?

... patchworked, rolling countryside, interesting villages and market towns (a bike shop would be just peachey!), a rambling network of little-used country lanes, the occasional B road, and unbesmirched by things like major rivers, big cities, escarpments, motorways with limited crossing-points, just touristy enough to have a few campsites, minor attractions, but not so remote as not to have any garden centres or other coffee/cake outlets.

Where can I find this paradise?

Based on your exact requirements if I was an estate agent in the area I would be putting together a portfolio of properties in the Yorkshire Wolds.

I love cycling in the Dales and on the Moors, but if I was to retire and spend my final years somewhere to do my road and off-road cycling I think the very many more route options - and choices of terrain - would swing it towards the Wolds.

Though the Yorkshire Wolds aren't as obviously hilly as the Moors or Dales, when Simon Warren wrote his regional hill climber's guide to Yorkshire he included seven of the 75 from the Wolds. Some of the seven are relatively tame - others not included are stiffer still - but it is possible to steer around them or go looking for them and you can pretty much do as you please such is the range of route options.

There are a range of stately homes, market towns, numerous villages, a few bike shops (you're not far from Hull and York in which there are very many bike shops), garden centres, camp sites and cafes in the Yorkshire Wolds area (and at the southern point of the Yorkshire Wolds Way there is the magnificent Humber Bridge - still the longest single span suspension bridge in the world that you can (legally!) cycle over).

Earlier this month I rode the North Yorkshire Selby Three Swans sportive for the first time. Its route is not far from the Wolds, but could almost be a world away. The 102-mile route took us through some fairly small towns, with a minimum of uncomfortable main road riding, but we were constantly held up by traffic lights and railways crossings - including one within the last couple of miles that are unknown to much of the Wolds. There are no motorways on the Yorkshire Wolds and it is very easy to plot, say, a 200km route without a single traffic light or railway crossing. Read about such a ride written by a chap who moved to the area to take up a new role:

http://balancingontwowheels.com/2016/09 ... enge-ride/
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Welsh borders? West of Hereford, up through Kington, Knighton, Clun, SW Shropshire. Although you'll need to like hills and your own company.

I am a Test Valley resident and yes, it is good for cycling. A good variety of countryside to explore in all directions. Salisbury Plain & Cranborne Chase, South Downs, North Wessex Downs and New Forest all on the doorstep. As with most places in England though, you need to know how to avoid the worst roads and even then the motor traffic can get you down.