School Run

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Oldjohnw

Re: School Run

Post by Oldjohnw »

In the olden days - like in my childhood - people went to their local school. None of this getting to the school of choice by all means, fair and foul, and the oversubscribed aspirational (for the parents) many miles away.

Meanwhile the little local school is deprived of money, mixed entry, staff and it appears to fail. Self fulfilled prophecy. Parents no longer live in that village. So either the school closes or becomes part of some money grubbing MAT.

What a way to look after our future.

People turning up in silly cars, driving selfishly and leaving engines running while parked on double yellow lines is one of many predictable consequences.

Car adverts even sell cars with film of school runs and kids arriving in so-called cool cars.
John
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

There has been a longstanding policy of closing small village schools.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Yes - I am vice-chair of governors at Britain's smallest school.
John
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

My son's school doesn't even have staff parking. Like many schools, it simply doesn't have enough land to provide parking as well as classrooms.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Oldjohnw wrote:Yes - I am vice-chair of governors at Britain's smallest school.

How many teachers and pupils?

I grew up in school houses next to the small schools where my father taught.
Now teachers too drive distances to work.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Mike Sales wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:Yes - I am vice-chair of governors at Britain's smallest school.

How many teachers and pupils?

I grew up in school houses next to the small schools where my father taught.

One teacher, one pupil plus one in a nursery. To be fair, the school is in a hard federation with another with 30 pupils. The school is Holy Island and it is federated with a mainland school where most education takes place.
John
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Oldjohnw wrote:
One teacher, one pupil plus one in a nursery. To be fair, the school is in a hard federation with another with 30 pupils. The school is Holy Island and it is federated with a mainland school where most education takes place.

I've been there. It's a lovely place. There is something special about small islands.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Oldjohnw wrote:In the olden days - like in my childhood - people went to their local school. None of this getting to the school of choice by all means, fair and foul, and the oversubscribed aspirational (for the parents) many miles away.

It's still a bit like that (at least near me), the main difference now is on house prices. People buy houses based on the catchment area of the schools.

Not sure how you'd stop that.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Mike Sales wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I don't expect them to necessarily spend money. Where there is a road safety issue caused by the school operation making they need make an effort to sort it out. In fact everything I suggested to my local problem school cost nothing, most onerous would have been 5 mins every couple of days.

Ian

Tesco and Wickes are not expected to superintend the driving of customers leaving their car park.

A couple hundred yards from me some of the secondary schools land was sold to tesco for their store, would have made a good school carpark instead we have congestion at times as one of the main thoroughfares narrows to single carrigaway under a rail bridge.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Near our town's high school and a primary school there's going to be 650 new build houses. Should be interesting when they're fully occupied. Luckily I go the other way but it's a bit mad building that many houses there.
Pastychomper

Post by Pastychomper »

Mike Sales wrote:I grew up in school houses next to the small schools where my father taught.

I get the impression that teachers and police officers usually prefer not to live in the area where they work, for broadly similar reasons.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Pastychomper wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:I grew up in school houses next to the small schools where my father taught.

I get the impression that teachers and police officers usually prefer not to live in the area where they work, for broadly similar reasons.

My father taught in country primary schools. I don't think that his successors have any reason to live elsewhere.
I was recently out cycling when a girl riding the other way startled me by saying, "Hello Mr. Sales." I was living two hundred miles away, was not known in the area, but she had mistaken me for my brother.
In the village I live now there is an ex-police house, like many other villages.
mjr

Post by mjr »

pete75 wrote:
Psamathe wrote:I thought teachers had a range of duties e.g. supervising playtime, making sure that kids arriving by bike are wearing helmets (in some rather silly schools), etc. The school has a degree of responsibility for issues it causes. It has inadequate facilities for the number of people it has collecting kids. So I believe it needs to address those issues or to provide adequate facilities (legal parking, off-road) such that it does not cause a public nuisance.

Teachers do supervis eplatime , at least they did at my primary school. [...]

Is "supervis eplatime" a Latin expression for something? I'm not finding it in wiktionary. Please could we stick to English?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

mjr wrote:Is "supervis eplatime" a Latin expression for something? I'm not finding it in wiktionary. Please could we stick to English?

move an "e" a little and insert a "y".
pwa

Post by pwa »

I think most (not all) teachers I know, as soon as the last kid leaves the classroom, start rushing around getting stuff ready for the next day, or having an end of day meeting that goes on to 5pm.