All You Wanted to Know About Chlorinated Chicken

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

All You Wanted to Know About Chlorinated Chicken

Post by mercalia »

al_yrpal

Re: All You Wanted to Know About Chlorinated Chicken

Post by al_yrpal »

Its not chlorinated its simply washed in chlorinated water just like many of the fruits, salads and vegetables you are eating.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote:Its not chlorinated its simply washed in chlorinated water just like many of the fruits, salads and vegetables you are eating.

Al

Not quite. An recent/current article worth reading that explains why it's not like many fruits, salads and vegitables
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/13/science-on-safety-of-chlorinated-chicken-misunderstood wrote:Science on safety of chlorinated chicken 'misunderstood'
Government’s assurances that there are no health problems are misleading, say food policy experts

But the academics point to research published last year which found washing food in bleach does not kill many of the pathogens that cause food poisoning. Instead, it sends them into a “viable but non-culturable state”, which means they are not picked up in standard tests, which take a sample of the food and try to culture any germs on it.

The presence of the pathogens is thus masked by the bleach, but they are still dangerous to human health.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote:Its not chlorinated its simply washed in chlorinated water just like many of the fruits, salads and vegetables you are eating.

Al

The other aspect to remember is that the term "chlorine washed chicken" has in non-technical reports been generalised to refer to all many of the US animal food products raised under poor animal welfare standards e.g. it might also include hormone fed beef. The "chlorine washed chicken" is the poster-boy for the animal food products we don't want from the US.

Ian
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Psamathe wrote:

Al

The other aspect to remember is that the term "chlorine washed chicken" has in non-technical reports been generalised to refer to all many of the US animal food products raised under poor animal welfare standards e.g. it might also include hormone fed beef. The "chlorine washed chicken" is the poster-boy for the animal food products we don't want from the US.

Ian

If Al's happy to eat them why not you?

Oh wait - Al's bessie mates with his local butcher so it's another case of "do as I say, not as I do".
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I wouldn't eat it. Food hygiene standards are not as high in the USA as the within the EU. The purpose of the chlorination is to try and clean the chicken up.
I sincerely hope that the UK compels all Supermarkets, Food Processors and restaurants to clearly mark the products that contain Chlorinated Chicken.
You can then avoid it.
Regarding salad stuffs, I don't buy anything in a bag, partly on environmental grounds but also because it's less likely to be mucked around with.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

francovendee wrote:I wouldn't eat it. Food hygiene standards are not as high in the USA as the within the EU. The purpose of the chlorination is to try and clean the chicken up.
I sincerely hope that the UK compels all Supermarkets, Food Processors and restaurants to clearly mark the products that contain Chlorinated Chicken.
You can then avoid it.
Regarding salad stuffs, I don't buy anything in a bag, partly on environmental grounds but also because it's less likely to be mucked around with.

For me same also applies to GM foods (as well as the poor US livestock).

If the Government does not require specific labelling I'd hope that origin labelling would apply which might result in a lot of people avoiding anything from the US. Though that would only be a partial solution in the case of prepared foods (e.g. Cottage Pie) which would probably end up with "Produce of many countries" as cheap hormone fed meats from US, potatoes from insecticide obsessed US (2nd largest user of insecticide in the world), GM carrots from US, etc. (there seems to be a pattern emerging)

Ian
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

The Truth About Chlorinated Chicken
Postby mercalia » 4 Jun 2019, 5:33am

mercalia wrote:Just in time for Breakfast :cry:

The Truth About Chlorinated Chicken review – an instant appetite-ruiner

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... GTUK_email

watch
https://www.channel4.com/programmes/dis ... /68769-001
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Al

Is that also you "gut" feeling :lol:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

what would worry me about chlorinated chicken is the bugs in the meat that are not washed away. We hear about enough food poisoning stories with the higher standards of chicken care as it is, in the UK? I wonder if there are any comparative data on food poisoning between the UK/EU and the USA?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I've eaten chicken in the USA ... lots of it ... it was very nice ..... :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mercalia wrote:what would worry me about chlorinated chicken is the bugs in the meat that are not washed away. We hear about enough food poisoning stories with the higher standards of chicken care as it is, in the UK? I wonder if there are any comparative data on food poisoning between the UK/EU and the USA?

You need o look at the article I quoted above
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/sep/13/science-on-safety-of-chlorinated-chicken-misunderstood wrote:Science on safety of chlorinated chicken 'misunderstood'
Government’s assurances that there are no health problems are misleading, say food policy experts

But the academics point to research published last year which found washing food in bleach does not kill many of the pathogens that cause food poisoning. Instead, it sends them into a “viable but non-culturable state”, which means they are not picked up in standard tests, which take a sample of the food and try to culture any germs on it.

The presence of the pathogens is thus masked by the bleach, but they are still dangerous to human health.

It's not washed away, not even killed. Just "it sends them into a “viable but non-culturable state”, which means they are not picked up in standard tests".

Ian
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Psamathe wrote:[
It's not washed away, not even killed. Just "it sends them into a “viable but non-culturable state”, which means they are not picked up in standard tests".

Ian

So ours is better because we don't even try to kill the bugs ... we just eat them and get ill ... thats better ?
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

It's far better to avoid the 'bugs' getting into the chicken in the first place!
Horse, stable and bolted springs to mind.
bogmyrtle

Post by bogmyrtle »

landsurfer wrote:
Psamathe wrote:[

Ian

So ours is better because we don't even try to kill the bugs ... we just eat them and get ill ... thats better ?

Thorough cooking kills pathogens. No need for chlorine.
A bike does more miles to the banana than a Porsche.