How Old is Your Trangia ..

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
freiston

Re: How Old is Your Trangia ..

Post by freiston »

Invicta Tourist wrote:I use this Trangia when I am camping at a single location and touring the area. I'm guessing it might be a 1970's model. Does anyone know for sure? I bought it secondhand about 15 years ago.

There is information on this site (but not necessarily that particular page) that might help answer your query. There's lots of interesting stuff on that site (imho).
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Invicta Tourist

Post by Invicta Tourist »

Thank you for the link to the Trangia website, Freiston. There's a lot of helpful information there. I scanned their website earlier, and found the model I have didn't resemble examples shown from the 1950's or 1980's. Then there was quite a gap between these years on Trangia's contents page. Now I've looked again at their website, the closest photo to the set I have seems to be the one on this page https://www.trangia-central.com/trangia ... llery.html , about half way down, titled "A very nice 1970's Trangia storm cooker with kettle". The air holes in the handle date it to early 1970's. I believe the model I have is a 25-1 model, with a 22cm frying pan. It's quite bulky for solo moving on tours, but great for meals and brews when staying at one campsite.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I use this Trangia when I am camping at a single location and touring the area. I'm guessing it might be a 1970's model. Does anyone know for sure? I bought it secondhand about 15 years ago.

It looks identical to my 1982 model, that's got a handle with holes in it too.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

AFAICT the strap mounts on the windshield have 'trangia' writ in either an italic script or something that looks like Times new Roman lower case. The latter is found on 1980s stoves. A handle with holes and the italic script on the strap mounts indicates between the early 1970s (when the holes were first used) and about 1980 (when the font changed).

Nice pics of an unused mid '70s stove here

https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/trangia-27k-made-mid-1970s-boxed-and-unused.31670/

1970s stoves seemed to come with only one pan too

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
jb

Post by jb »

Do not, on any account, show this thread to my partner!
She just wouldn't understand.
:D
Cheers
J Bro
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

I've got a 1970's model with kettle & cutouts on the pot lifter (it's my Dad's old one).
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

nigelnightmare wrote:I've got a 1970's model with kettle & cutouts on the pot lifter (it's my Dad's old one).

italic or TNR logo?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
robert17

Post by robert17 »

I've a mini trangia. Got from White & Bishop in Northampton in 1988 I reckon. Problem with the mini is you don't get wind protection for the burner, but you can improvise. My brother had a Coleman 442 burner, so when together tended to use that with the trangia pans.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

I've been thinking I ought to get a Trangia since the late 1970s, but only actually got on about three or four years ago! So in one sense I'm a recent convert. Mine's a 27UL.

I enjoy its simplicity and versatility. Its main use is for making cups of tea but it gives me the option of "proper cooking" as well. When on tour I normally try to eat an evening meal in a pub, but I always carry ingredients for one or more main meals - just in case. Suffice to say I've had to call on those ingredients enough times to make it a good precaution.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Brucey wrote:
nigelnightmare wrote:I've got a 1970's model with kettle & cutouts on the pot lifter (it's my Dad's old one).

italic or TNR logo?

cheers

ITALIC
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

I bought mine from a dodgy guy in the ODG around the mid seventies.
First day out I had piping hot soup in a howling gale atoP Pike O Blisco.
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

We supply them to our customers when they come on cyclecamping holidays with us. They are indestructible - I always say to people that they could throw it off a cliff and have a brew at the bottom. They are also easy and safe for beginners (as with many of our customers) and you can do proper cooking... After 30 years some of them finally gave up having got so thin from being scrubbed every weekend!

Sadly over the years they've been cheapened - the old riveted-on strap loop is now a stamped slot which is very difficult to use and I suspect the quality of the aluminium is lower as they seem a little thinner and softer - a real shame.

Our own personal Trangia is 36 years old now and as wonderful as ever;-)
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

bretonbikes wrote:Sadly over the years they've been cheapened - the old riveted-on strap loop is now a stamped slot which is very difficult to use and I suspect the quality of the aluminium is lower as they seem a little thinner and softer - a real shame.

I don't know about softer, but aren't the more modern 'Ultralight' Trangias purposefully made made of thinner material to save weight?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

bretonbikes wrote: the old riveted-on strap loop is now a stamped slot which is very difficult to use
That made me go to look at mine. It is stamped not riveted. Probably considered a new one since it is only 25 years old.
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

tatanab wrote:
bretonbikes wrote: the old riveted-on strap loop is now a stamped slot which is very difficult to use
That made me go to look at mine. It is stamped not riveted. Probably considered a new one since it is only 25 years old.

I'm terrified how long ago that change happened! Where did the time go?
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...