How to clean rusty bike wheel?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Imawimoty

How to clean rusty bike wheel?

Post by Imawimoty »

Hi guys you have always been really helpful in the past. I was wondering if there is a os way of cleaning rust off a bike wheel. I have tried cleaning wadding stuff and although it cleans a little of it off, not all of it will unless I plan on cleaning it for a long time. Any suggestions ? The bike is okay and so are the wheels, apart from the rust obviously.
reohn2

Re: How to clean rusty bike wheel?

Post by reohn2 »

Solvol Autosol will bring them up as good they'll get:- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autosol-Solv ... .l4275.c10
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
hamster

Post by hamster »

Depending on how rusty:

Mild staining on chrome: soapy water and bacofoil
Heavy staining: solvol autosol
Flaking: steel wool.

Steel rims are heavy and present an appallingly bad braking surface when wet. An anvil with a rope works better in the rain. If it's not a historic restoration, consider whether a replacement wheel with aluminium rim is a better use of your time.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I have a reasonable 27" steel rim (wheel) if you want it.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

Imawimoty wrote:Hi guys you have always been really helpful in the past. I was wondering if there is a os way of cleaning rust off a bike wheel. I have tried cleaning wadding stuff and although it cleans a little of it off, not all of it will unless I plan on cleaning it for a long time. Any suggestions ? The bike is okay and so are the wheels, apart from the rust obviously.

As others have said it all depends on the rim’s underlying condition. I’ve used an oil loaded piece of scotch-bright in the past on heavily tarnished rims and it’s worked well (the shine returns, but mirror finishes become semi brushed). Plus one for steel rims being a really poor wet weather braking surface.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.