New Bib Tights

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick F
Spambuster

New Bib Tights

Post by Mick F »

I bought a pair of bib tights from Evans Cycles in Plymouth yesterday.

I'd cycled to Plymouth and straight round to Evans specifically for tights. This lovely summery autumn won't last forever.
Saw what I wanted, found XL and whist looking at them, one of the assistants was scanning stuff with the bar-code gun. I aksed if he minded if I tried them on. He offered me the changing room, but instead I took off my sandals and put the tights on over my shorts and top. Fitted nicely, and the quality was good. Advertised at £59.99. I was happy, so took them off and went over to the counter to pay.

They gave me £6 off, which was nice. After paying, I put them in my saddle bag and made my way home. Busy for the rest of the day/evening so didn't give the tights another thought.

However ......................

I'd bought women's tights! :lol: :lol:

They fit nicely. There is nothing "women" about them that I can see, but the padding insert is a nice purply colour. I like colour, so I'm happy with that! There is a tiny logo on the inside of the back meshing with XL and a lady symbol as a giveaway, but you have to actively look for it .............. which I didn't when buying them.

Now, this begs a few questions.
1. Does it matter? They are comfortable and fit nicely.
2. Why didn't the staff - the bar-code zapper, or the assistant behind the counter - notice and query it?
3. Why isn't the area in the shop divided or labeled Men and Women?
4. What is the actual difference in bib tights men vs women?
5. Why is one of the woman's version advertised at £59.99 as well as at £55.00? What's the difference?
6. Why is the man's one £55.00?

https://www.evanscycles.com/fwe-women-s ... s-EV361670
https://www.evanscycles.com/fwe-women-s ... s-EV249028
https://www.evanscycles.com/fwe-coldhar ... s-EV332898

I think I'm going to go back on Monday, and ask those questions, and maybe swap them for a man's version ........... but I don't know, as I quite like them as they are!
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Re: New Bib Tights

Post by pwa »

Be an individual. If they work, keep em. Only you will know you are wearing women's clothes in public. Spirit of the age perhaps.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

C'mon Mick F, be honest... you were always going that way. :wink:

If they fit, and don't look girlie just stick with them.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm happy in my skin. I'm me and content, and not at all bothered by wearing these tights.

What I am bothered about though, is why didn't they notice? Do the shop assistants not know their products?
For that alone, I should go back.
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

Leave it Mick. They're not worth it. :lol:
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Mick F's got his new bibtights in a twist!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:
Joking aside ................ and I expected them .................. what about my questions?
Especially Q4.

What is the actual difference in bib tights men vs women?
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Never mind that, I bought this...

Ortler_Bozen_Performance_Damen_Trapez_schwarz_matt_[640x480].jpg

I thought it was a step through frame and later on they labelled it as a ladies bike!

What with you cycling around Cornwall with Tits and me looking like one in Devon we are a right pair of Jessies! :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
rjb

Post by rjb »

Mrs RJB buys XL Mens bib tights. She tried them on in Sports Direct and said they fitted perfectly. We must meet up and exchange ideas, or something. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mick F wrote::lol: :lol:
Joking aside ................ and I expected them .................. what about my questions?
Especially Q4.

What is the actual difference in bib tights men vs women?

The legs are often shorter.
The pads are usually smaller, less bulky, and for this reason I’ve some.
Another benefit, IME with shorts , is if they are sized for hip width (Funkier do this) then the tummy band is nicely relaxed.
The staff are probably trained not to question the gender of your purchases as it may cause embarrassment.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks.
Interesting.
The lady versions have smaller pads, and the legs tend to be shorter.

The leg length is fine though.

As for the pad size, it'd difficult to compare with my four pairs of (men's) shorts in XL. Two or three different makes. Just been looking.
The Women's sizing is different to the Men's sizing.
I bought XL, but XL for women has a 33-34 waist, whilst the men's XL has a 36-38 waist. This alone would make the pad smaller as pad size would be dictated by overall size no doubt.

https://static.evanscycles.com/producti ... _guide.pdf

One pair of bib tights I had, had no pad at all. Can't say I noticed at all until I bought a new pair with a pad. Even then, I would be wearing the old ones when the newer ones were in the wash. Can't say it bothered me either way.
Mick F. Cornwall
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Don't worry unless you start singing soprano.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Thought you only needed 3/4 bib tights in tropical Cornwall?
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

4. What is the actual difference in bib tights men vs women?

I would imagine you get a bit more space for your meat and 2 veg in the mens version.......and you haven't noticed :wink:
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I prefer leggings like these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cycling-Leg-Warmers-Winter-Running-Thermal-Roubix-Cycle-Knee-Black-S-M-L-XL/131348851968?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=430669699794&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I bought apair of these a year ago still going strong

quite cheap and more than enough, can roll them down if too hot & treat them like long socks