Halesworth Southwold Lowestoft

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
carlislemike

Halesworth Southwold Lowestoft

Post by carlislemike »

A flat route in the main but the question is, do I follow the Cycle Travel Route Halesworth to Southwold which is essentially B1124 to Uggleshall, Wangford, Reydon to Southwold ie minor roads Or do I go for the slightly more direct route which is the more usual car route, Holton, Blyford B1223 A145 dropping down onto the A12 for a few hundred yards then the 1095 to Southwold.It's not a question of realspeed or aught else, just that I think the latter route is more direct but is late September traffic on the direct route still fraught with holiday makers to and fro from Southwold? After Southwold, the route isn't complicated by choices to Kessingland via Covehithe. Thoughts would be appreciated.
Jamesh

Re: Halesworth Southwold Lowestoft

Post by Jamesh »

The roads are quiet around there except the a12 obviously.

It looks like you can avoid the dogleg of the a12 at bythbrough by going straight across the a145 on the b1123.

Lovely cycling area. My daily ride was from kressingland to Southwold for breakfast supplies whilst on holiday a couple of years ago.

Cheers James
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

via Covehithe? You contemplating going along the coast? or contemplating along the Suffolk Coastal Path?
Kessingland
Kessingland

Suffolk Coastal Path
Suffolk Coastal Path
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

I was merely thinking of popping off the main route to see the coast at Covehithe. I don't think it is a cycle friendly path towards the north of the county. I have walked it years ago and with the erosion and 'cliff' falls, it was dodgy enough in places, even then.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Iirc the costal path is closed due to errosion and you have to walk along the beech.

However there is a estuary you have to ford which is knee deep.

Cheers James
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I was wondering about this sort of thing. I know Benacre broad often breaks at the sea, allowing it in, making it impassable. Benacre Broad by the way is worth a look, the only broad in Suffolk? I have walked along the coast when there wasnt a breech and quite an experience ( along time ago)
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

Thanks folks, the die is cast. APT to Halesworth, reasonably straight to Southwold then north to Kessingland with a short pop down to Covehithe Cliffs. Thence Pakefield, Lowestoft, Somerlyton and train to Norwich. The wind is the main factor as the forecasts are winds from the south to North which I don't fancy in such open countryside and coast.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

since you are going past Somerleyton. You could continue to St Olives and over the bridge there ( quite a view of the marshes) , Haddiscoe, and then follow the side roads from the B1136 to Thurlton , Loddon, Langley st, Carleton St Peter, Rockland St mary, Surlingham ( broad), Bramerton. I used to ride that route often when I lived in Lowestoft. There is also a natural route on the other side ot the river from Reedham to Norwich which is very pleasant.

Since you are going to Norwich I would be tempted to take the train to Lowestoft and start the ride from there, since the journey following the river is quite nice.
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

mercalia wrote:since you are going past Somerleyton. You could continue to St Olives and over the bridge there ( quite a view of the marshes) , Haddiscoe, and then follow the side roads from the B1136 to Thurlton , Loddon, Langley st, Carleton St Peter, Rockland St mary, Surlingham ( broad), Bramerton. I used to ride that route often when I lived in Lowestoft. There is also a natural route on the other side ot the river from Reedham to Norwich which is very pleasant.

Since you are going to Norwich I would be tempted to take the train to Lowestoft and start the ride from there, since the journey following the river is quite nice.

Mercalia, thanks for that. Decision was made on forecast wind direction on Saturday coming. Forecasts are South to North. Originally, we were going to reprise the W G Sebald route in The Rings Of Saturn. He steps off the train in Somerlyton and visits Somerlyton Hall before walking to Lowestoft then down the coast to Southwold, Dunwich etc. We chose out of forecasts, to reverse the walk as our ride. Chosing this end of the year was down to avoidance of Southwold in the summer. I've copied your suggestions as I hope to make another trip unto Lowestoft / Norwich later in the year but when dusk falls all that bit earlier.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

carlislemike wrote:
mercalia wrote:since you are going past Somerleyton. You could continue to St Olives and over the bridge there ( quite a view of the marshes) , Haddiscoe, and then follow the side roads from the B1136 to Thurlton , Loddon, Langley st, Carleton St Peter, Rockland St mary, Surlingham ( broad), Bramerton. I used to ride that route often when I lived in Lowestoft. There is also a natural route on the other side ot the river from Reedham to Norwich which is very pleasant.

Mercalia, thanks for that. Decision was made on forecast wind direction on Saturday coming. Forecasts are South to North. Originally, we were going to reprise the W G Sebald route in The Rings Of Saturn. He steps off the train in Somerlyton and visits Somerlyton Hall before walking to Lowestoft then down the coast to Southwold, Dunwich etc. We chose out of forecasts, to reverse the walk as our ride. Chosing this end of the year was down to avoidance of Southwold in the summer. I've copied your suggestions as I hope to make another trip unto Lowestoft / Norwich later in the year but when dusk falls all that bit earlier.

well dusk over the marshes at Haddiscoe throws you back into a past era it always seems to me, all rather stange
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

Just following your route as far as Langley Street /CLaxton, on Cycle Travel then put in my own deviation to Yelverton, Poringland, Framingham Earl then to Norwich. I’ve visited Poringland and Framingham by car in previous quests so this should be fun.
zenitb

Quiet route to southwold

Post by zenitb »

I like the "bailey bridge" route marked "bridge" top right. There is a 50yd unsurfaced section just south of the bridge wher we overtook a guy pushing his 23mm tyre road bike. The bridge is where the old railway bridge was pre ww2 and you can carry on north to Southwold pier
Attachments
2019-09-23 19.50.54.jpg
zenitb

Visit Suffolk

Post by zenitb »

I recommend the Visit Suffolk Coastal Cycle Route booklet btw. Its a fiver and well worth it. Several fold out maps inside. Its top right in the picture...
Attachments
2019-09-23 20.01.03.jpg
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Surlingham & Rockland Broads worth a detour ( in the summer atleast)
Surlingham & Rockland Broads worth a detour ( in the summer atleast)

There are/used to be pubs at the water edge